www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:01 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I just bought a Fusion 700 with 2 remotes. I must say its packed with features that the others just don't have! I spent over $700.00 on this and so far its works great.

The real reason behind me writing this is "customer service". There "docs" just don't make thing clear about the NEMA 2000 network. I called them up and spoke with a rep named Billy. All I got was a hard time and was told, "that I should have read the whole manual before I bought it." and "that the salesman should have explained everything to me." Than at one point he said "I have had enough and am going to transfer you to some one else." I never asked to talk to any one else. My biggest point here is, they make a great product, but beware if you need to call in. God help you!

Last edited by Paul I. on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:07 pm 
268 Vista

Sometimes. no matter what your experience, electronics install's are best left to pro's that do install's on boats for a living. Chances are they have run across the same issues before, and already know a work around. Sad their CSR's could not help you though.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:05 pm 

Thank you. My problem was on the NEMA2000 network connections. Very missleading!!

The install in it self was fine. But they wanted me to spend, other $150.00 to make it work with my network that was already in place.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:07 pm 

I've read that most people with the fusion just purchase a cheap wireless access point for most features

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:33 pm 

ric wrote:
I've read that most people with the fusion just purchase a cheap wireless access point for most features

That would mean that you would need a wireless router on board. Inorder to make it wireless from any piont onboard. Now you would need a smart phone, tablet or laptop to gain accsess.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:35 pm 

Paul I. wrote:
ric wrote:

That would mean that you would need a wireless router on board. Inorder to make it wireless from any piont onboard. Now you would need a smart phone, tablet or laptop to gain accsess.

to use the fusionlink app to wirelessly control the zones, volume, what's playing etc... correct.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fusion-l ... 77783?mt=8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:27 pm 

The wireless router can work for remote control, that's what I've done - but it won't work with the remotes I think Paul is trying to install. They require the NEMA2000 network and for some reason, Fusion decided to put what looks like an Svideo connector on their NEMA2000 feed. They then force you to buy their adapters if you wish to connect to your existing network, I think I paid $60 or so for a silly 2 foot adapter. They do not make this requirement clear in the marketing, and it would have been so easy to put the right connector on in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:20 pm 

weather wrote:
The wireless router can work for remote control, that's what I've done - but it won't work with the remotes I think Paul is trying to install. They require the NEMA2000 network and for some reason, Fusion decided to put what looks like an Svideo connector on their NEMA2000 feed. They then force you to buy their adapters if you wish to connect to your existing network, I think I paid $60 or so for a silly 2 foot adapter. They do not make this requirement clear in the marketing, and it would have been so easy to put the right connector on in the first place.

YES!! Thats what I said to them! If you read the docs, one manual says "recommends" and another states requires.

From there site:
"Note: NMEA T-Connectors follow the NMEA 2000 standard and are compatible with other micro connectors, cables and NMEA 2000 compatible devices." & "The MS-N2KCONN connection pack is recommended when adding additional entertainment systems or MS-NRX200 Wired Remotes to an existing network."

"compatible with other micro connectors" NOT the ones on my back bone, that are NMEA 2000! So I already have a back bone. Its a must have, NOT " recommended "

Let me also add, I am a tech by trade. Computer, printers & networks. If I didn't pick up on this, there is no way the normal end user is going too. Forgive me, I am no expert, but I know a little somthing if you know what I am trying to say!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:58 am 
268 Vista

Glad you are getting it figured out. Once done, let us know how it all works. It's really a great HU, despite the confusion with adapters and such.
Hopefully you will be happy with it. I know they do sound very good connected to some decent speakers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:23 am 

My question is..

How does it sound? Does it rank up there with a good Alpine and Kenwood with good bass or does it sound tinny like a panasonic (or my JVC) and require an amp?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:54 am 
268 Vista

My BIL replaced his top of the line Kenwood HU on his Carver with a Fusion. The Fusion stereo's have a built in Class D amp. With or without an external amp, he agrees it sounds better than the Kenwood. They have more power than most any other stereo without an amp.
These guys love them.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... dback.html

Paul, if you have any more issues, you might try going right to the top !
Quote:
My name is Chris Baird and I am the CEO of FUSION based in Auckland and I am very sorry that you have trouble getting onto us for technical support......this is not normal but needs to be addressed immediately. Please contact me direct on my email chris@fusionelectronics.com and I will personally make sure your issue is solved !!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:05 pm 

Thank you! My only problems go back to the NEMA2000 hook up. It really is not made clear on this point.

I must say, the sound is good! The best thing is it has 4 zones. The built in amp only does 2 zones at 70 watts per channel. Which is great for me. Anther amp is needed to drive the other 2 zones. All of the zones can be named. I have a Cabin & helm/outside zones. I programed the 2 "outside" remotes to do only that zone. The cabin zone will do both zones. My wife is always saying, "its too loud". So I can turn up the out side speakes & if she gets a phone call, now she can turn down both fron inside.

It also recieves VHF channels, shows art work from Ipod or thumb drive. It can output video to a monitor. Easy to use controls!

Last edited by Paul I. on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:22 am 

ric wrote:
My question is..

How does it sound? Does it rank up there with a good Alpine and Kenwood with good bass or does it sound tinny like a panasonic (or my JVC) and require an amp?

Like comparing a Maserati to a GM, IMO.
I've never heard a processor as good as an Alpine and Fusion still can only sell on novel features.
Kia Motor cars do much the same... :roll: :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:32 am 

I temporarily (for 2 months) hooked up an Alpine CDA-117 (reasonably high up the Alpine ladder) to Polk DB 651's in my Vista, no external amps. Of course it sounded great! The Alpine was always destined to end up in my Jeep, so I was just waiting until my Fusion IP700 came. Same speakers, same boat, same music - swapped the Alpine for the Fusion - sounds great in my opinion. Not saying it sounds any better, but it certainly doesn't sound worse - I'd say the same. Perhaps in an auto environment the Alpine would shine, but frankly acoustics are horrible in a boat anyway so if there is a difference, it wont be heard or noticed. As stated above, the Fusion does have more RMS power than the Alpine - that little extra is enough that I would likely only add an external amp for a sub, it will not be required for the mids.
As for functionality - there is no comparison, the Fusion is much, much better suited to the marine environment. It also excels at ipod navigation, which is where all my music comes from.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:08 am 

Weather, for you the zones would come in handy. Never mind that you can display depth, COG, and any thing else on the remotes which is great for the biggers boats. Plus, the NEMA2000 connections makes it so much easier than making "home runs" back to the deck for adding remotes. OR you can use there bus system too.

Fusion decks/heads are sealed.So there is no damp or salt are going though them. The level of out & inputs are far greater than most decks too.