www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:16 am 
268 Vista

Glad both of you are happy with the Fusion HU's. Even with the lack of enthusiasim from "down under" :wink: I still think they should be at the top of any boater's list if they want to upgrade their HU.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:23 am 
email admin your custom rank

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
Glad both of you are happy with the Fusion HU's. Even with the lack of enthusiasim from "down under" :wink: I still think they should be at the top of any boater's list if they want to upgrade their HU.

If it had bluetooth it would be in my boat already. I can't live without it now that I have it. No wires. No "remotes". No searching for radio stations. No downloading to USB. No plugging in headphone jacks. No getting up for volume control. No matter where you are in the boat, you can do everything with the unlimited music potential of internet radio and even hold phone convos over the stereo system.

The radio itself doesn't have much in the balls department to drive the polks, not like a fusion/alpine/or even the kenwood I had in the H180. Turn it up loud it distorts to heck, but a class D 200w amp fixes that.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:50 pm 

I hate to say it, but bluetooth lacks the audio quality and the Fusion most likey has a better DAC in it than your phone. On the other hand, you can control the Fusion from from any smartphone.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:17 pm 

Paul I. wrote:
I hate to say it, but bluetooth lacks the audio quality and the Fusion most likey has a better DAC in it than your phone. On the other hand, you can control the Fusion from from any smartphone.

Bluetooth A2DP codec streams at around 300kbps. The highest encoding of an MP3 available is 320kbps. Bluetooth is perfect. The only way to get better would be to convert all your pressed CD's to apple lossless format and use an ipod in the radio or purchase lossless music. Then of course you're still listening to music in a boat, which is 100% acoustical junk and I bet you can't tell the difference between a 192kbps stream MP3 and lossless. Oh, and you can't use an iPod classic, you'll need one of the latest generations to get the full lossless quality.

I can't seem to find any specifications on the Fusion 700 DAC and how it works with the iPods. The only info I can find is that it acts like a USB. Any specs on it's internal DAC are not found. As far as we know it might not be any better then what's already in the ipod. If you were a SERIOUS audiophile I would invest in a Pure i-20. I have one in my office to my tube amp :) All my good audio is ripped from pressed studio/retail cd's in apple lossless format to my watch (ipod nano with a iwatchz elemetal band)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:28 pm 

The Ipod, not sure it it uses its own DAC or not. If used with a USB cable, it is using the heads DAC. But when it slids into the head and the door closes, I would lean that it still does.

I only spent 15min looking into bluetooth for music and others have claimed that it is pretty good for a wireless connection. Good to know, but some like it and others don't. I think it depends how demending your ears are.

With over 6gigs of music, its not going on my phone. Its too easy to use the USB stick or ipod. On the boat, one of the first things I do is to take my phone & in the cabin it goes. It not water proof.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:48 am 

Paul I. wrote:
The Ipod, not sure it it uses its own DAC or not. If used with a USB cable, it is using the heads DAC. But when it slids into the head and the door closes, I would lean that it still does.

I only spent 15min looking into bluetooth for music and others have claimed that it is pretty good for a wireless connection. Good to know, but some like it and others don't. I think it depends how demending your ears are.

With over 6gigs of music, its not going on my phone. Its too easy to use the USB stick or ipod. On the boat, one of the first things I do is to take my phone & in the cabin it goes. It not water proof.

Bluetooth is only as good as the music it's streaming. If you're working with crappy mp3 rips downloaded off torrents it's going to sound crappy no matter how you connect it. My GF is absolutely famous for that. Drives me nuts. She'll blast in her car what sounds like a 48kbps mp3 that's so clipped and compressed I want to just walk home.

You can get Pandora One which is a 192kbps stream. That's acceptable, especially in a boat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:30 am 
268 Vista

Raymarine's new a-65 and a-67 touch screen's are able to link with Fusion 700 series HU's
Quote:
Thanks to integral Fast Raynet Ethernet and Bluetooth, both a-Series displays can network with up to 6 other Raymarine MFDs and also connect via Bluetooth with smartphones and tablets to remotely play and control music files. New software designed to link with Fusion 700 Series stereos adds another level of audio integration.

http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=4954

Nice stuff, and small enough for runabouts and boats that have limited space for a chartplotter install.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:06 pm 
268 Vista

Quote:
Fusion announced that its line of high-performance marine-grade stereo units, the 700 Series, received the 2012 National Marine Electronics Association's Technology Award at the NMEA Conference and Expo in Orlando, Fla.

Judged by a panel of experts organized by Boating Writers International, the Technology Award singles out the overall best marine electronics product in the industry, based on a combination of innovative design, benefits to boaters, practicality and value, Fusion said.

“In addition to the systems’ sound quality, intelligent user memory and control functions, our new Fusion-Link compatibility offers convenient and seamless integration options to access audio and video collections throughout a vessel, enhancing every on-the-water excursion,” Fusion Electronics’ Todd Crocker said in a statement. “This honor from the NMEA is an affirmation of our efforts to continue developing high-performance marine entertainment solutions that exceed customer expectations.”

Designed and engineered specifically for the marine environment, the fully marinized 700 Series offers a single unit solution for video and audio entertainment on the water. Fusion said.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:08 am 

JUST an FYI if it matters to any one.

I have the IP700 model. Fusion (there web site) is stating, "Video playback - Watch video stored on your iPod or iPhone through the internal dock of the MS-IP700" I have called them several times on this because I can play the video, BUT I get no sound. If I play music from the Ipod, I can hear it! There stating that this is a known issue with the Gen. 5 classic IPod and they told me that it will not work with Apples "Touch" at all.

My point to them was, a firmware upgrade is needed. Which I think is the case, music plays though it, if I play a movie, then open the Fusion door & use earphones you have sound.

From what I can tell, there are ONLY 2 pins (other than ground) that out put sound on the IPod. So is I can play music, I shoud hear a moves.