www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:42 pm 
Tadpole

I'm new to boating. My boyfriend just upgraded to a 2006 Vista 258 and I wanted to surprise him with a few minor repairs of things that were damged. One of which is the grille or cover over the speakers in the cockpit. The Clarion website shows replacement grilles with blue illumination which look cool but dont list his model speaker as a match. Does anyone know where I can get replacement speaker covers for Clarion 6.5 CM260 Dual Cone speaker.

Possible upgrade suggestions welcome as well but I'd like to stick to minimal drilling and use the pre-exisitng cut-out.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:56 am 
268 Vista

The grills for those Crapion speakers are made for that speaker only. And by the time you find replacement grills (if you can) with shipping it will end up being a waste of money. My suggestion is to just get a new set of speakers for the boat. If holes do not line up. drilling new holes is very easy, probably easier than ordering/replacing the grills.
Read what is involved in getting the grills off..............
Quote:
To take the grill off is quiet simple. First, take a small regular screwdriver and put it in the small cutout on the bottom of the speaker. Just pry it up enough to get your fingers under (one or two). Then while keeping your fingers under the grill, slide your hand clockwise around the grill. The speakers are secured by a "pop on" system. There are 4 points that they snap into place. You do have to be a little aggressive when sliding your fingers around to pull off. The grill will not break if you do it this way. To reinstall; just line up the 4 contacts and snap back on. FYI: If your cone (the circular white part) of the speaker is not attached to the backing this means it is blown. Meaning that if there is a crack or the seal is no longer there between the white cone and the back of the speaker I highly recommend you replace them. Water can get into the speaker because the watertight integrity is lost. Water can leak into the hole, or cavity of the space that is behind the speaker.

You can get a set of Polk DB651's for around $100 if you shop around, they will fit in the existing cutout, and they will sound much better than the Crapion's.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:31 am 
email admin your custom rank

Murkle,

In my experience, that generation of Clarion marine speaker was prone to deterioration after 2-3 years on in service. If you pop the grills off, you will probably see how the cones have come apart. Your money would be best spent by just upgrading to a new set for the boat rather then buying replacement grills. This use a very common 5" or 5.25" mounting hole, so just about any marine 6.5 coaxial speaker will be a fairly straight forward replacement. At the most, you may need to drill new screw holes for the new speakers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:05 am 
email admin your custom rank

$62 bucks. He will love you long time. Marine speakers, even quality ones like Polk DB651 should be replaced every few years for optimal sound. Those factory Clarion speakers are due for replacement (the day the boat rolled off the assembly line).

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-6-5-In ... polk+db651

Keep in mind the Polk DB651 require at least a solid 20 watts of power otherwise they sound pretty bad. I'm not sure what Clarion radio that boat has or if it's capable of pushing the Polks so they sound correctly. My head unit was rated for "50 watts x 4" and RMS is 20x4. That's 5 watts per speaker and the polks sounded pretty bad until I installed an amplifier that is feeding them 65w RMS.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:43 pm 
Tadpole

Thanks so much! This got put on hold as winter approached. Everyone was right the Clarion sucked and finding replacement covers was futile. I did end up just getting a new set of speakers that installed easily and used the pre existing screw holes :)