www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:54 pm 
Dolphin

Well after searching and a recommendation on a Fusion MS-IP700, I abandoned the Alpine I was going to buy. I have researched around and it seems like there is a lot of confusion over needing extra harnesses. I'm assuming my boat ('99 225 Sundowner) does not have the NMEA 2000 interface in it, is this correct? Because of that I'm thinking I need the FUSION Marine Remote Control Extension Cable - 6M for my installation of theFUSION MS-NRX200 Full Function 700 Series Wired Remote since I am running it off the opposite side of my swim platform. Do I need any extra harnesses to install the MS-IP700 in my boat that I am overlooking?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:08 pm 
email admin your custom rank

You can use the bus that Fusion comes with! If you want to hook it up to a NEMA2k bus. You need to buy there $50.00 adpter cable for each drop. I am running both, I did not want to pay$150,00 more after spending close to $700 on it!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:13 pm 
Dolphin

So my '99 uses that interface already? How would I tap into it? Sorry for all the questions, I'm good with wiring, but clueless on my boat's wiring layout...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:02 am 

I bet your 99 year boat is not using a NEMA2K network. Unless you installed one. I have one on my boat that exchanges info between the VHF, GPS, fish finder, fuel flow sensor and a AIS reciver. Fusions point is that this bus is running down the side of your boat. Exchanging info with what ever the boat bullder/owner wants to connect to it.

So now you want to install your new radio and 2 remotes, as in my case. So now you are tapping into the NEMA2k bus in 3 places. No need to run wires back to the head from the 2 remotes!! But I used there bus that came with the 2 remotes. There DOCS are not clear on connecting to a NEMA2K bus. As I mentioned, you need adapter to do so. They should have used the same type!! I would have needed to spend $150 more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:27 pm 
Dolphin

Ok, that's what I thought. I just went with the extension cable for the remote to keep it cheaper. Would I be able to use the extension cable in the future as a NMEA wire for other things, or as I understand it I would have to set up a completely separate network and then buy the adapters for the radio? I'm just wondering because the temp gauge on my VDO is not working, and I may switch gauges down the line. Every other function works on the gauges though, I would like to keep them. I need to search some more threads in here to see how to diagnose it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:30 pm 

Yes, and that network would be a NMEA2k one. Than with the adapters from fusion, you can connect to it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:52 pm 
Dolphin

Thanks! Now when I upgrade my gauges down the line I can do it to NMEA... I hope I can just buy a new sending unit for my temp gauge and that will fix it though. I do like the look of the gauges.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:45 pm 
Shark

I talked to a dealer the other day about upgrading my stereo. I mentioned the Fusion and he said to not go there. I'm not sure why other than he might not have access to them. He recommended Alpine or really anything except. Are you guys happy with the Fusions and why did you go that route over Alpine?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:10 pm 

askieffer wrote:
I talked to a dealer the other day about upgrading my stereo. I mentioned the Fusion and he said to not go there. I'm not sure why other than he might not have access to them. He recommended Alpine or really anything except. Are you guys happy with the Fusions and why did you go that route over Alpine?

Never had a Alpine, a few Sonys..... Fusion is a real marine deck, it is water tight sealed just like a GPS OR VHF. All the others are open to the air. Sounds better, 45 watts per channel, class D amp than anything you can buy, with out addin on to it.

My only real beef is , that I get no sound when I play a movies from my Gen5 classic IPod. The hook up was very simple with 2 remotes. It can control 4 zones, 2 right out of the box!

It is a little pricey, but you will not be disapointed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:37 pm 

My boat isn't a submarine. If the radio gets wet I have bigger problems. I went with a standard automotive deck with bluetooth audio streaming and hands free talking, usb, ipod control, the works. The IR remote works everywhere on the boat even inside the cabin to the radio outside. Best $80 bucks I've ever spent. 99% of the time I'm using bluetooth streaming from my smartphone, which doubles as volume control. Done and done. I added a 220w class D amp for another $80 which drives the polks better than any stand alone head unit in the world can. No way in hell would I pay ungodly amounts for a Fusion only to get radio features from 1998.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:59 pm 

ric wrote:
My boat isn't a submarine. If the radio gets wet I have bigger problems. I went with a standard automotive deck with bluetooth audio streaming and hands free talking, usb, ipod control, the works. The IR remote works everywhere on the boat even inside the cabin to the radio outside. Best $80 bucks I've ever spent. 99% of the time I'm using bluetooth streaming from my smartphone, which doubles as volume control. Done and done. I added a 220w class D amp for another $80 which drives the polks better than any stand alone head unit in the world can. No way in hell would I pay ungodly amounts for a Fusion only to get radio features from 1998.

You have the only boat in the world that is not affected by moisture!! I forgot that! Also, some of us boat in salt water. Oh thats right too, the salt air won't affact your boat ether. How stupid of me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:12 pm 

Paul I. wrote:
You have the only boat in the world that is not affected by moisture!! I forgot that! Also, some of us boat in salt water. Oh thats right too, the salt air won't affact your boat ether. How stupid of me.

No different than a convertible car that lives next to the ocean. I can break one radio a year for 5 years before I come to the price of what a Fusion would cost installed. That huge price tag and it doesn't even have bluetooth. Antique technology.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:59 pm 
Shark

He must have had some sort of issue with them in the past. I had something going on this summer(earlier post) that caused an amp to blow. They said the switch on the swim platform that turned the transom speakers on and off was wired with speaker wire and was putting an amp into protection mode. I do not agree with his suggested plan of keeping the Sony unit but I can handle a head unit, I cannot stand the display on that unit and will be looking at the Fusion and Alpine both.

Did not mean to hijack the thread...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:05 pm 
Shark

I am kind of confused, how are you watching a movie on a head unit? can you run a monitor of some sort off of it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:06 pm 

askieffer wrote:
I am kind of confused, how are you watching a movie on a head unit? can you run a monitor of some sort off of it?

The fusion has like a 1in display. It's like watching a movie from that apartment scene in the movie The Fifth Element.