www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remote cables..
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:54 pm 
email admin your custom rank

So, the coming spring, I intend to replace my Clarion deck and remotes, with a new Kenwood setup that fits my needs. I'm a lazy guy (not really), and I don't want to have to do any more work that I have to. My question is, does anyone know, are the cables used for the remotes standardized between manufactures, or will I (as I suspect), have to re-run new cables for the remotes on the project?. Planning to replace the current Clarion XMD3 deck and Clarion M301RC remotes with a Kenwood KMR-700U Deck and Kenwood KCA-RC107MR remotes..

2004 Four Winns 328 Vista
1997 Larson Cabrio 290 - sold
1988 Rinker Fiesta Vee 248 - sold

Post subject: Re: Remote cables..
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:33 pm 

Think I found my answer. Looks like I'll have to run new cable, as the currently installed Clarion stuff is 6 pin, and the new Kenwood stuff is 8 pin.. Guess I'll have to hope I can just tie on to the current cable, and pull the new one through to the back while pulling the old one out? Any better idea than that for running those cables? Have one at the dash, and one on the transom, and the one on the transom is the one that concerns me the most as to getting it ran there. Not sure how easy it will be to get through, thinking that everything that the original cable runs through, is going to be sealed up pretty good, and may not move very easily, let alone pulling a new one through? Anyone else with some experience with this? Don't want to disturb something that could allow exhaust into the cabin area..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:10 am 

Just a thought, alpine has some nice marine units, and the remotes are wireless. Run power and ground to them and the rest is done wirelessly. They have them with and without displays, and the best part is they have a waterproof key fob remote, you can control volume from about 200 feet away.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:54 am 

Fusion uses your NEMA2k backbone for it's remotes. I did not have to run wires back to the head but just add a tee and connect to it. I am thinking that future units (Sony, Alpine....) will soon be adding this type of connection too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:18 am 

Get a radio with bluetooth. Wired remotes are the thing of the past. I can use my cell phone anywhere inside or outside of the boat.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:40 am 

jsimon wrote:
Just a thought, alpine has some nice marine units, and the remotes are wireless. Run power and ground to them and the rest is done wirelessly. They have them with and without displays, and the best part is they have a waterproof key fob remote, you can control volume from about 200 feet away.

Got any links? I looked briefly but didn't really see a whole lot on their website.. As to the Bluetooth suggestion, and carrying the phone around. I don't typically carry it around with me while on the boat, just asking for trouble there as to survivability of the phone. :D With the tie-ups we have here, it's nice to be walking around, and if something needs changed or volume changed, having someone, or going and doing it myself at the transom is nice. Then, to not go back and do the same with the new setup, wireless or wired, means I now have holes to fill. Hoping to find something that is at least as big as the current, and will fill the existing space. The Kenwood remotes fit that part anyway, but I'm open to suggestions.. Did see a few that had Bluetooth, floating remotes, that may be interesting, but I'm not typically going to carry my cell/iPod around with me while moving around boat to boat.. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:14 am 

Here is what i was talking about.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/mc20

http://shop.alpine-usa.com/p/rf-remote-control-for-marine-applications?pp=12&pp=12

As far as bluthooth and using cell phones, that would be great on the boat or at the dock, but out in the water, I try to keep my phone as far away form the edge of the boat as possible.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:17 am 
268 Vista

Wise to take advise of a 1 yr. boat owner, who has never owned a cruiser, with due caution. We have had two cruisers, the Vista had Sony and a wired helm remote, the 282 had Kenwood with wired helm remote. Both worked well for us. Never found any need for bluetooth, or wireless remotes.
My sister and brother in law have a 53' Carver, he has had a Kenwood system in it when he bought it. 3 wired remotes. It was a good system and with 3 remotes, one was always handy. He has since replaced the Kenwood with Fusion head unit and wired remotes. The remotes were large enough to cover the existing holes from the Kenwood units. The Fusion units are much nicer in looks, functionality , and a noticeable improvement in sound quality. The Alpine units with mutiple zones are also a good choice.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:32 am 

Bluetooth you can fully control the radio from anywhere. While cooking, in bed, walking around, in any seat, while tanning, whatever. If you purchase an inexpensive waterproof case for your phone or ipod, you can also control it while swimming. I also use bluetooth audio streaming to stream my downloaded music and internet radio from my cell. The choice is simple.

Let's not forget the additional features that I now can't live without:
With bluetooth it will alert you of an incoming txt or cell phone call over the boat's speakers. Priceless. I also mounted the hands free mic in the helm, so my boat has hands free calling. Navigation apps will sound over the boat's audio system (navionics). I also have a bluetooth transmitter for my TV that plugs in the headphone jack so football goes over the boat's speakers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:35 am 

jsimon wrote:
Here is what i was talking about.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/mc20

http://shop.alpine-usa.com/p/rf-remote-control-for-marine-applications?pp=12&pp=12

As far as bluthooth and using cell phones, that would be great on the boat or at the dock, but out in the water, I try to keep my phone as far away form the edge of the boat as possible.

Well, I like the remote with the display, but the thing with that remote that concerns me (other than the price, but none of this is going to be terribly cheap), is that the current remotes are oblong, and I'm not sure how much space is actually cut out behind the current remote, and I need to make sure that the new remote will cover the old remotes hole, or need to be cut bigger. My last boat, I had a similar sized remote in it, so I've likely got the hole saw for that, but, probably won't be able to use it on the existing hole...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:17 pm 

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
Wise to take advise of a 1 yr. boat owner, who has never owned a cruiser, with due caution. We have had two cruisers, the Vista had Sony and a wired helm remote, the 282 had Kenwood with wired helm remote. Both worked well for us. Never found any need for bluetooth, or wireless remotes.
My sister and brother in law have a 53' Carver, he has had a Kenwood system in it when he bought it. 3 wired remotes. It was a good system and with 3 remotes, one was always handy. He has since replaced the Kenwood with Fusion head unit and wired remotes. The remotes were large enough to cover the existing holes from the Kenwood units. The Fusion units are much nicer in looks, functionality , and a noticeable improvement in sound quality. The Alpine units with mutiple zones are also a good choice.

Just to add, with Fusion you can control it with your cell phone too or anything that is WiFi. But water & cell phones don't mix very will so for me it's a poor choice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:27 pm 
268 Vista

I'll agree with you there Paul. Cell phone controlled anything on a boat is a poor choice for a boater. It does seem to be popular with newbie boat owners though.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:36 pm 

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
I'll agree with you there Paul. Cell phone controlled anything on a boat is a poor choice for a boater. It does seem to be popular with newbie boat owners though.

Poor choice how? Please elaborate. That's like trying to argue a typewriter is better then a computer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:17 pm 

Location: Live Manchester England, Boat Aberystwyth, Wales, UK
ric wrote:
Cap'n Morgan wrote:

Poor choice how? Please elaborate. That's like trying to argue a typewriter is better then a computer.

Hang on a minute

OK ready when you are!

"If we improve with age I'm now excellent"

Ex 1998 238 Vista 5.0Gi SX DP
Lexus RX300

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:31 pm 

ric wrote:
Cap'n Morgan wrote:

As I mentioned, water & cell phones don't mix. If I had to replace it, it would cust me about $300, it not worth it!!

Try turning down the volume with your cell doing 20 to 25mph as the boat is bouncing. You need 2 hand to use a cell & one hand to use a fixed remote. So I am not letting go of the wheel.

I can operate my Fusion at 3 places, the deck in the cabin, a remote at the helm and another remote at the stern seating. In using my cell, now I have to take it with me were ever I go on the boat. I want to relax and incoming calls are important to me that I need to answer them as they come in.