www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:31 am 
Seahorse

I could have sworn I saw a post on this but cant find it now... looking to add 2 more speakers to my 268. Has anyone drilled a hole for a 6.5" speaker on the port side between the area for the cooler and the transom door? Is there enough room in there? Also I was thinking of adding the other one right in the helm area, maybe under the throttle, anyone else have any ideas?

One thing is for sure, ill be going with the mm651 polks

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:21 pm 
Dolphin

I just bought the MM651UM and they sound awesome. The bass is
Fantastic, they are super clear and really loud. I'm running 91 watts to them according to my alpine pdx.5 birth sheet. I can go fourty five with only two speakers hooked up and it is very clean and clear sound. Worth every penny. If you haven't upgraded your factory speakers yet you might just want to put in the polks first with a good amp before adding extra speakers. I was thinking of doing extras but I ended up just trying this setup first and it's already really loud.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:44 pm 
email admin your custom rank

jmac572 wrote:
I could have sworn I saw a post on this but cant find it now... looking to add 2 more speakers to my 268. Has anyone drilled a hole for a 6.5" speaker on the port side between the area for the cooler and the transom door? Is there enough room in there? Also I was thinking of adding the other one right in the helm area, maybe under the throttle, anyone else have any ideas?

One thing is for sure, ill be going with the mm651 polks

I take it that you do not have the arch? If that is the case, it sounds like the options you have listed are good ones. If I were going to add anymore speakers, I would prefer to add some near the swim platform. For now, I just added them to the arch. I used a 5.5" hole saw and it fit my Infinity 6.5" speakers perfectly. I hated the mess that had to be cleaned up, but it was worth it!

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:05 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Polk MM series require a 2 ohm amplifier, remember that. The lower quality (higher price cause theyre an OEM speaker on some $$$$$$ wakeboard boats) UM series runs off 4 ohms. Either way, they will sound horrible unless they get at least 50w RMS from a quality amp.

If you don't want to amp, look into the infinity 612m. They sound better than DB651 with an amp (personal experience).

Whatever choice you make (mm, um, db, 612m) they're all marine rated equally.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread