www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: audio upgrades?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:55 am 
All Night Long

1NiceHarley...

If both the Clarion and Sony setups are sub-par - what would you recommend going with? I like their setups because both will include satellite radio installed as standard...

I'd rather not mess with Head units - unless upgrading to a better same-brand unit such as not to have to re-do the satellite radio side of things... but if it's as easy as plug and play - that's not a big deal changing brands.

Recommendations?

I think the 1000 sub upgrade is total bs... I can pick up an amp and sub and do that on my own...

For a good quality in-boat setup (not mounted on a tower) - I'd love to get some ideas for price/quality - setup. If it costs more, it better sound that much better in my mind. =)

I've searched a bunch of previous posts, but maybe there is a new product or direction as some of them are kind of dated?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:54 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I don't think Sony or Clarion is sub-par for the price, I just don't like either brand personally.
Is there better made units than Sony or clarion? Yes BUT they also cost more, a lot more.
Can you get a better Sony or Clarion then they put in the boat from the factory? Yes and the harness has about a 98% chance it is the same.
Do you need to upgrade the units they put in the boat from factory? Only if YOU don't like them.
Really it's just personal preference. In the price range of the units installed in the boat from factory, no matter which brand you use they are all going to perform basically the same.

My PERSONAL preference is Eclipse or Alpine for Head Units, JL audio for amps and Polk audio, Diamond Audio or JL audio for speakers. I don't like Clarion due to a bad experience with them back in 1997-98 and I don't like Sony mobile audio.

But also when you start adding more and expensive audio components then the more chances they will get stolen.

Hope this helps.

2002 Ford F150 Harley Davidson Edition (http://www.nhtoc.com) 378 hp & 465 tq at rear wheels
2008 Honda Accord EX-L w/Nav

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:06 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

1NiceHarley wrote:
I don't think Sony or Clarion is sub-par for the price, I just don't like either brand personally.
Is there better made units than Sony or clarion? Yes BUT they also cost more, a lot more.
Can you get a better Sony or Clarion then they put in the boat from the factory? Yes and the harness has about a 98% chance it is the same.
Do you need to upgrade the units they put in the boat from factory? Only if YOU don't like them.
Really it's just personal preference. In the price range of the units installed in the boat from factory, no matter which brand you use they are all going to perform basically the same.

My PERSONAL preference is Eclipse or Alpine for Head Units, JL audio for amps and Polk audio, Diamond Audio or JL audio for speakers. I don't like Clarion due to a bad experience with them back in 1997-98 and I don't like Sony mobile audio.

But also when you start adding more and expensive audio components then the more chances they will get stolen.

Hope this helps.

Alpine isn't the company it once was... Still great stuff but they have been straying from the path lately.

I've always been a BIG fan of Pioneer's upper end gear (Premier) they throw more tonal control into the units that most other companies, features like Active EQ and Auto Time Alignment (both of which I had in the system in my last boat).

I am very UNimpressed with the clarion head unit in my 248... It works but it doesn't impress me much at all.