www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:05 am 
email admin your custom rank

ric wrote:
What is the #1 rated stereo on Crutchfield right now?

I have to second ric's choice here. I had that Kenwood and it was amazing. Unfortunately, they are not water proof, and after a waterfall washed under my dashpad, the Kenwood got fried. I replaced it with an Alpine out of neccesity, since it was July 4th weekend and I couldn't wait for Amazon to ship another Kenwood. The Alpine IS good, but I will prob order another Kenwood and keep the Alpine as a spare.

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:01 am 

NiagaraChillin wrote:
ric wrote:
What is the #1 rated stereo on Crutchfield right now?

I have to second ric's choice here. I had that Kenwood and it was amazing. Unfortunately, they are not water proof, and after a waterfall washed under my dashpad, the Kenwood got fried. I replaced it with an Alpine out of neccesity, since it was July 4th weekend and I couldn't wait for Amazon to ship another Kenwood. The Alpine IS good, but I will prob order another Kenwood and keep the Alpine as a spare.

They don't carry Fusion and they are the reseller. Not a independent source.

Just read this thread from another board.
http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=155457

"This unit has alot of WOW factor!"
"I think this radio is a real winner. Ben from PANBO also gives it fairly high marks."

Last edited by Paul I. on Wed May 28, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:21 am 

I have the Pioneer DEH-8500BH and i an very happy wight he Sound Quality...

I went with this Pioneer mainly bc i am a pioneer guy and know the menus like the back of my hand and i got a great deal on this one..

I do like the ability to add a marine remote to a car stereo.. i like that..

I use BT and Spotify on my iPhone in a Life Proof case. i keep in pocket and it has the distance to be on the beach.. but mainly let it roll random.. but i have been looking more into a stern remote for volume.. and well that kenwood is a great solution..

the Fusion units are designed i feel for a 15 foot boat and 2 speakers to keep the girl happy.. they are not a party cove party machine. they simply do not have the balls to make the noise or the equalizer to make the music sound worth a damn..

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:26 pm 

Jdpber wrote:
I have the Pioneer DEH-8500BH and i an very happy wight he Sound Quality...

I went with this Pioneer mainly bc i am a pioneer guy and know the menus like the back of my hand and i got a great deal on this one..

I do like the ability to add a marine remote to a car stereo.. i like that..

I use BT and Spotify on my iPhone in a Life Proof case. i keep in pocket and it has the distance to be on the beach.. but mainly let it roll random.. but i have been looking more into a stern remote for volume.. and well that kenwood is a great solution..

the Fusion units are designed i feel for a 15 foot boat and 2 speakers to keep the girl happy.. they are not a party cove party machine. they simply do not have the balls to make the noise or the equalizer to make the music sound worth a damn..

Fusion has 4 zones, I only use 3. Two for the cabin & one for th cockpit. These zones can be operated independently from each other. I have not seen any other head that can do that. Oh well, all I know is it sound great to me and gives me options that others do not. As in displays depth on the swim platform remote.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:43 pm 

if you want more bass try adding amps and component speakers that actually produce mid bass.. and toss a Bazooka tube in somewhere and a real SUB if you want bass...

SORRY if i am about to come off like an ass but generic 3 way speakers in an open air environment will not produce bass like the 10 speaker 2 sub Boss stereo in your car that is a sealed environment.. i don't care what Head Unit you have in a boat if you do not have the correct speakers fed with clean power they will not deliver. Sorry that is reality.. and Low frequency sound waves disperse differently than that of High frequency sound waves..

Look at an outdoor concert for example.. they will have 10 HLCD Horn Loaded Compression Driver speakers for the highs and 50 12-15" or more subs.. this is bc the low frequencies simply do not travel..

I am assuming you have a standard mono speaker.. and their is no way for a single driver speaker to replicate 3 frequency zones. the drivers are not designed to produce the lower mid frequencies they simply cannot produce the frequency.. same as if you have only subs playing the vocals and cymbals are non existent that is because they are out side of the band..

sorry if i ranted it was not meant as insult or to be mean.. i am a sound quality Audiophile.. and i am hit with this situation all of the time. people want a phone for example to shake the house on an R&B song like the car stereo display at best buy.. it cannot happen..

I sit in front of a set of hand built and tuned $800 hifi monitor speakers 60hrs a week with a 30w 8ohm digital to analog amp and i will put this up against any box store surround or bose player.. this is because the crossovers are specifically built to specific ranges so that the drivers produce those ranges and the boxes are tuned to the frequency.. 1/3 power is more than most people can handle to be around within 10-15'.. and they produce great mid bass.. as it is for office i specifically did not want the low low frequencies as they will travel thru structure..

the point i am making is that your speakers have just as much to do with the SQ as your Head Unit. and the EQ that is within your HU.. and that EQ is very basic. a set of component speakers at minimum would be a great improvement.. and if you desirer a full range audio experience on the boat. components, subs and amps is the answer to all of your problems..

buy in essence you are asking a battery powered iPhone speaker to perform like a home stereo or a car stereo for that matter. and it will not.. it cannot.. short n sweet..

now i can help if you like.. and other members are trying to help but it seems to me that you are not understanding what is being said..

i hope that this helps explain a few things..

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:25 pm 

Most if not all marine rated 6.5in speakers are 2-way. They have no bass. If you want some bump in the trunk you'll need to add in a subwoofer.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:52 pm 

Jdpber wrote:
if you want more bass try adding amps and component speakers that actually produce mid bass.. and toss a Bazooka tube in somewhere and a real SUB if you want bass...

SORRY if i am about to come off like an ass but generic 3 way speakers in an open air environment will not produce bass like the 10 speaker 2 sub Boss stereo in your car that is a sealed environment.. i don't care what Head Unit you have in a boat if you do not have the correct speakers fed with clean power they will not deliver. Sorry that is reality.. and Low frequency sound waves disperse differently than that of High frequency sound waves..

Look at an outdoor concert for example.. they will have 10 HLCD Horn Loaded Compression Driver speakers for the highs and 50 12-15" or more subs.. this is bc the low frequencies simply do not travel..

I am assuming you have a standard mono speaker.. and their is no way for a single driver speaker to replicate 3 frequency zones. the drivers are not designed to produce the lower mid frequencies they simply cannot produce the frequency.. same as if you have only subs playing the vocals and cymbals are non existent that is because they are out side of the band..

sorry if i ranted it was not meant as insult or to be mean.. i am a sound quality Audiophile.. and i am hit with this situation all of the time. people want a phone for example to shake the house on an R&B song like the car stereo display at best buy.. it cannot happen..

I sit in front of a set of hand built and tuned $800 hifi monitor speakers 60hrs a week with a 30w 8ohm digital to analog amp and i will put this up against any box store surround or bose player.. this is because the crossovers are specifically built to specific ranges so that the drivers produce those ranges and the boxes are tuned to the frequency.. 1/3 power is more than most people can handle to be around within 10-15'.. and they produce great mid bass.. as it is for office i specifically did not want the low low frequencies as they will travel thru structure..

the point i am making is that your speakers have just as much to do with the SQ as your Head Unit. and the EQ that is within your HU.. and that EQ is very basic. a set of component speakers at minimum would be a great improvement.. and if you desirer a full range audio experience on the boat. components, subs and amps is the answer to all of your problems..

buy in essence you are asking a battery powered iPhone speaker to perform like a home stereo or a car stereo for that matter. and it will not.. it cannot.. short n sweet..

now i can help if you like.. and other members are trying to help but it seems to me that you are not understanding what is being said..

i hope that this helps explain a few things..

Well said!! Have I turned the bass up, yes. I have no sub, but I can't complain.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:28 pm 

I went with a Kenwood DDX790 in the Vista. http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-DDX790-Multimedia-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00B7IPUKY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403205518&sr=8-1&keywords=Kenwood+DDX790+eXcelon+7-Inch+2-DIN+Multimedia+DVD+Receiver+with+Bluetooth
Works great in a cruiser! The unit feeds video to the LCD TV so that I can watch DVDs in the aft cabin on the Kenwood display, and people up front can watch the DVD on the TV. It's also using the audio out from the TV to feed an input on the Kenwood (it has two) for watching broadcast television and listening to it through the Kenwood. It feeds a 1500W amp for the subwoofers (Rockford fosgate amp and 12" subs), and a 4-channel amp for the 4 speakers (Another Rockford Fosgate 100 watt per channel amp, and four 6.5" Rockford Fosgate speakers in the factory locations). It sounds amazing! Indeed I also chose this setup primarily for the ability to use marine remotes on it, of which I have two (one on the transom, one at the helm) of the ones Ric mentions. I'm pretty sure those remotes only work with Kenwood's Excelon series radios though. Having bluetooth audio is convenient, albeit of lower sound quality than CD, and with almost 2KW of power, there's no problem hearing the system even on the beach behind the boat. Beware though; you'll find every little thing that rattles on your boat with something like this!