www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:35 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I finally have the boat running so well that I feel comfortable taking her out near where I live on Niantic Bay and right out into LI sound on a nice flat day. With that I think it would be smart to add a VHF radio to my setup. Do people have suggestions? Features to look make sure and include? We normally boat on a pretty small lake so this really needs to be for the once a year trip we take it onto the river and the bay. I would also like a folding antenna...suggestions on that also?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:08 pm 
Dolphin

If safety is the concern, then by all means install any of numerous reliable name brand radios with a good antenna. If you do this once a year, and you are not inclined to become certified (not sure if certification is required where you live) - it is in Canada but many users are not certified and in an emergency, certification is probably not a priority, but it can be a good educational experience for you. Perhaps consider a handheld VHF. How far offshore will you get? Will you be travelling with other boats on your once a year trip? If the answers are not far and with other boaters, I would consider a handheld and cell phone for backup. I know an installed unit is more powerful, but I also know they seem more problematic, especially the antenna and salt connections.... So maybe a handheld would suffice.

Four Winns 348 (2005)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:42 pm 

I worried that a handheld would have issues - mainly that it would not have a charge when I needed it, So I opted for a fixed mount and a rigid antenna. Found a new but discontinued Standard Horizon 1270 for cheap, and added an antenna for under $100. Install was easy as pie, just follow directions. (Hints - use a step drill, masking tape, mark where you want your holes) Your best bet is to troll around ebay for a good deal.

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:51 pm 

If you're going into the Sound for sure you want a VHF. They now have models that have GPS built into them which is very useful. A cell phone can be used but if you have a problem, you have to call 911 and then they call the local CG for your sector. If a cell phone gets wet it won't work. If you don't get a gps unit for navigation, get charts of LI Sound, that is a must as well.
One other thing that can help a lot is a website maintained by the University of Conn. They have weather buoys that monitor weather in LI Sound and gives you real time local conditions.

http://www.mysound.uconn.edu/

I always look at this (I am closest to the Western Sound station) to get an idea of the weather before heading out. Also on the VHF you have the weather constantly on channels 2&3.

You would be closest to the Eastern Sound Station. In that area are the Cross Sound Ferrys so that's something to be aware of .

Most people have a GPS hooked up to their VHF so the radio knows where you are and the newer radios have a panic function. You push a button and it sends a distress signal and your location. You need to register for a number that identifies you for this to work.
Lastly if you don't have towing insurance, I'd get it for sure, because a simple breakdown can cost a ton of money to get towed back to port. Its not expensive for what it is.

If I recall you have an H-180, right? If so I'd limit myself to days when its less than 15 mph winds for sure and less than 2' waves. Because while that does not sound like a lot, combined with other boat traffic and wakes it can be. Also, the first time out keep the bow cover on, make sure you have a good support underneath. Make sure your bilge pump works and it has an auto switch. If you only have one pump, you can do what I did, buy a 2000 GPH Rule pump, wire it up with large alligator clips and a hose. Just in case you took a lot of water over the bow, you would have an emergency pump you can put in the bilge and hook up to a battery that would pump it out much faster than the pumps these boats usually have (500 gph). You don't want salt water to reach the starter and pulleys. It will do a lot of damage.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:20 am 

I use a handheld due to a bridge that I have to hail to get across. Top of the line Cobra floating with a lithium ion battery. I charged it once in 2 months and it's turned on for 6+ hours twice a week. Range? I think I got 2 miles once across the lake talking to a buddy. It's not about power, it's about antenna height for distance. You can always mount a fixed antenna that folds down that plugs into your handheld. Only plug it into the antenna if you need the range.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:56 pm 

This is some great information.

I am hesitant to get a handheld for the reasons noted (being charged when you need it). I think I would rather spend the money and get a standalone unit. I would prefer a unit with a built in GPS since I don't plan on purchasing a standalone chart plotter at this time. The idea of hitting a button and sending a distress call w/ my location makes sense to me. I will need to register for a DSC.

I like this unit for around $200:
http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Horizon- ... uctDetails

How do a pick an antenna? There seems to be a plethora of options between dB levels and connector types.

The other things. Bilge pump works and so does the auto switch but I think I would do as others have done and suggested and have a 2000 GPH Rule or similar pump as a backup to run with large alligator clips. This is a must have in my book also.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:48 pm 
Dolphin

I've been thinking that I'd like the best of both worlds, which I imagine would be a handheld that lives in a built-in cradle that supplies ships-power to keep it charged, and connects it to a nice tall antenna to get good range. But, if the ship loses power in an emergency, I'd still have the batteries in the handheld, and I could take it with me if I left the boat temporarily (eg., onto a beach or a dinghy).

-- Rich

tymorrissette wrote:
This is some great information.

I am hesitant to get a handheld for the reasons noted (being charged when you need it). I think I would rather spend the money and get a standalone unit. I would prefer a unit with a built in GPS since I don't plan on purchasing a standalone chart plotter at this time. The idea of hitting a button and sending a distress call w/ my location makes sense to me. I will need to register for a DSC.

How do a pick an antenna? There seems to be a plethora of options between dB levels and connector types.

The other things. Bilge pump works and so does the auto switch but I think I would do as others have done and suggested and have a 2000 GPH Rule or similar pump as a backup to run with large alligator clips. This is a must have in my book also.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:06 pm 

I'm not quite sure what problems you have with battery powered handheld VHF. I've seriously charged mine once since i purchased it over a month ago. I use it every weekend.

It's still above 75% battery level. There are no batteries to replace. It uses a lithium ion battery pack that charges with a cigarette adapter.

https://www.cobra.com/products/handheld/mr-hh350w-flt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:16 pm 

tymorrissette wrote:

That is a nice unit - it is what I want to upgrade to one day.

As far as antennas - If you have the money, go with a folding mast. I went rigid and wish I had spent the money on a folder. Not to mention it is easier to store and cover.

The problem I have with a handheld is 1) signal strength and 2) it keeping charge when I really need it. I know with my fixed mount that I am screwed if the boat battery goes dead as well, but with a portable that is stowed there is too big a chance it gets bumped and turns on without me knowing it - leading to the dead battery.

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:30 pm 

There is no chance of it getting bumped and turning on. Charge it every 2-3 months to keep it fully charged.

It's insanely important to mount the antenna 100% vertical. It can't tilt in any direction. If I were to buy something it would be this setup:
http://shakespeare-marine.com/5225-xt
http://shakespeare-marine.com/style-5187

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:51 pm 

dad has that 8' with a powered amp and an 80s vhf base unit he have reach 75 miles off shore in his 21' center console. he can call into the city marina form out in the gulf (as long as no clouds or storms are in the way.. on his 45' that we used to own we had twin 12' powered antennas and they would reach for days and days..

A good antenna is the next most important thing right next to output power. a hand held is a joke compared to an adequately powered base unit.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:56 pm 

Jdpber wrote:
dad has that 8' with a powered amp and an 80s vhf base unit he have reach 75 miles off shore in his 21' center console.

That's kind of impossible due to the laws of physics.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:01 pm 

That Shakespeare antenna and mount is nice. So to hookup an external antenna to a hand held you would just unscrew the dinky little antenna that comes with the radio and find the correct adapters to go with the coax cable of the "real" antenna?

I just seems that if built in GPS is a must have then the handhelds are just more money for the same features of a regular size unit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ICOM-IC-M92D-01 ... 4d21d25840

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:13 pm 

Well what's your purpose of having a VHF radio?

Me? I use it to talk to bridge operators and listen to where the cops are. Works perfect.

If you're looking for something in an emergency situation? Don't bother. Just get an EPIRB.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:05 pm 

Why have a VHF?
If you see another boater in trouble and want to call the CG and your cell phone does not work
If you need to get towed and your cell phone does not work
You get marine weather all the time
If someone's in trouble and you monitor Ch16 like you should, you can get to them and help them faster than the GC can sometimes because you might be right there. The CG will put out a message, that so and so's boat's taking on water, if your in the vicinity of such and such, you can render assistance.

An EPIRB, is great for what its designed to do, but it is very limited to extreme emergencies.

Ric what are you going to do, if your boat breaks down and your cell phone doesn't have service or got wet and you don't have a VHF? Its gonna be a long wait.
Lastly anyone who is in an area with towing insurance, GET IT.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II