www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:41 pm 
email admin your custom rank

well i guess it was a magic radio because we could talk to the city marina in the gulf. take it as you want.

And i will repeat a base station will trump any hand held out their every time. simply because of the power.

Also we do not have trees or mountains making river bends when int he ocean. just saying.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:52 pm 

How do you explain my being able to pick the weather from Upton Ny with the boat sitting in the driveway in Western Suffolk at least 30 miles away. I can also pick up transmissions on other channels with plenty of trees in the way.
I took thd boat out to clean the bottom and fix a few things. I am getting the weather loud n
clear from Upton NY and can hear the CG talking on ch 21.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:12 pm 

Weather is on another band, and very high up. It's range is generally 20-50 miles from the base station.

Coast Guard base stations are 100-300ft above sea level. You can hear them forever.

We're talking about using VHF boat to boat in emergency situations. You're limited by the curvature of the earth and antenna height. If two boats have antennas 15ft in the air, in a perfect world on flat water with nothing in between, you're looking at a distance of 10 miles.

Now, standing on your bow with the handheld VHF 15ft in the air talking to a coast guard base station 100ft in the air? 20 miles is not unheard of. Plenty of people have been able to talk to Sea Tow stations in the Atlantic 20-25 miles away using handheld VHF. Why? Their base station antennas are 200-300ft in the air for that very purpose.

It's all about line of sight. If the antenna can see it, you can talk to it. Handheld, wired, doesn't matter. Now, power does come into play once you start going past 20+ miles. It's called HAM radio. You can talk to people hundreds of miles away bouncing off the atmosphere to defeat the whole line of sight thing.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:43 pm 

I have to agree with the suggestions for a fixed base radio. Ric is correct that boat to boat range is not as good, but I can tell you that I hear Milwaukee coast guard issuing instructions on channel 16 for Green bay boaters when I am near the beach on the east side of lake Michigan (Holland / Grand Haven area). That's at least 80-90 miles. If you monitor channel 16, often you may not hear the initial boater call, but you will hear the CG instructing boaters in the area to keep a look out / provide assistance if safe or necessary.
I think the set-up for a Pacific aerials antenna and a Cobra 25W VHF with DSC (tied into my GPS) set me back all of $150 or so. In my mind that is cheap insurance and well worth it. I have kids (8-16 years old) and they all know in case of a real emergency, all they have to do is hit the red distress button on the unit or on the mic.
I probably will add a hand held unit in the near future, but for now I'm happy with the fixed unit. We never forget to load it up on the boat, and with a 2 battery set-up on our boat it is unlikely that we will run out of juice.

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:03 pm 

I've been an amateur radio operator for 23 years. I also got my start as a chief engineer for an AM/FM radio station in 1987, and have been a television engineer since 1996. I don't think that some wikipedia quoting know-nothing is going to "school" me on the propogation of radio waves. Tropospheric ducting is exactly what allowed every person that has talked well over 60 miles between two boats to do so. Guess where these ducts are most active? Coastal regions. VHF signals bounce off more than just inversions, too. While the higher VHF band is less likely to be able to bounce off the ionosphere, it does indeed happen during high sunspot activity. As a matter of fact, while driving in to work this morning, I was conversing from central NC to a UHF repeater located in New Jersey. If the UHF signal is propogating that far, for sure VHF was loud & strong all morning long.
Again, you prove that you know nothing about what you speak. You are also skipping past what I quoted you as saying, which is that you claim VHF does not go around trees or river bends.
Since you like interwebs sites to prove your point, take a look at this site.
http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/
Right now I see that there's a great amount of ducting activity going from the Baja area all the way up to a hundred miles or so North of Sacramento. How can that be? I guess in your physics world, these people that communicate over 700 miles, right now at 2:32pm EDT on August 19, 2014, on the 2 meter amateur radio band (just 20 MHz or so lower than the VHF marine band) are doing one of two things; lying or lying. Instead, in your world, people can't even communicate 4 miles if there are any trees around.
You're what we amateur radio operators know as "the guy that needs to swap out his PTT button for an RTL button"*.
Referring to my Reference Data for Radio Engineers, Fourth edition, I see that a base station antenna located 160' up a tower sitting in the yard of a marina located say, 20' above the shoreline (180' AMSL) will be able to "see" line-of-sight stations with an antenna using your hypothetical height of 30' above water gives a maximum of ~23 miles. So, how is it that we can communicate a greater distance? Well, the easiest way to explain that is that the visual horizon and the "radio horizon" is different. The lower the frequency, the more the radio signal "bends". One other important factor your interwebs don't mention (I assume -- I didn't even bother to read them): a mode of propogation called "tropospheric scatter". Tropo scatter is the scattering of a signal caused by moisture in the atmosphere; yet another thing that is common in coastal areas. The signal effectively bounces off the moisture located in the column of air between two points. Use a sensitive and efficient narrow-band signal such as the 15FE signal used by VHF marine, a decent high-gain antenna, and the moderate power that marine radios use, and it's quite feasible to go 75 miles even with just tropo scatter. One thing for you to Google, since that seems to be the only way you amass knowledge, would be "Distance from Florida to Cuba" and then "Cuban tropo scatter station". While you're at it, you might want to Google something like "Why was my high school physics teacher so wrong about what happens in the real world?"
Oops - I seem to forget that fact that you think reading a wikipedia article for 15 minutes will let you get to know a subject much better than someone who has 27 years experience in the matter.

*PTT = Push To Talk. RTL = Release To Listen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:04 pm 
Dolphin

Vintage Beauty wrote:
... with a 2 battery set-up on our boat it is unlikely that we will run out of juice.

Unless, of course, the reason you need help is that you had an electrical fire and had to shut everything off, or otherwise lost use of the electrical system (short, wire falls off, etc.)

Just pointing out that no one solution really covers all the bases. We all weigh the risks and decide what is right for our situation.

-- Rich

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:19 pm 

RichA wrote:
Vintage Beauty wrote:
... with a 2 battery set-up on our boat it is unlikely that we will run out of juice.

Unless, of course, the reason you need help is that you had an electrical fire and had to shut everything off, or otherwise lost use of the electrical system (short, wire falls off, etc.)

Just pointing out that no one solution really covers all the bases. We all weigh the risks and decide what is right for our situation.

-- Rich

That why besides the fixed VHF to have a portable too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:07 pm 

RichA wrote:
Vintage Beauty wrote:

-- Rich

You are correct Rich. That's why I plan to add a portable in the near future.

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1