www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: subwoofer location?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:34 pm 
Clownfish

So ive got a 2014 h190 rs with a vp 4.3. It came with a bazooka tube under the bench, a sony cd player with remotes and 4 no name brand speakers. The speakers arent bad but im lacking some low end. Docked or anchored the stereo sounds great, while under way the sub just cant keep up.

So im thinking of putting a bigger subwoofer box in the storage compartment starboard side next to the engine. Any thoughts as to the sound being ae to transfer to the cockpit? Id like ti go next to the engine so i can get a bigger sub and make more storage space under the seat. Thoughts??

Post subject: Re: subwoofer location?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:23 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Quote:
while under way the sub just cant keep up. So im thinking of putting a bigger subwoofer box in the storage compartment starboard side next to the engine

You will likely see no return on your investment. You need a woofer that is direct-radiating into the main locker or the locker is well vented so the woofer will radiate into the main cabin. I wish I could tell you a specific location on that model, but I can not. On many boats, under the helm is an ideal spot. On others, in the seat bass, like behind the captains or copilots chair.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:18 am 
Tadpole

I'm just wondering if you ever finished this project and if so how it turned out? I have been considering doing the same thing with my 2013 H190SS. I replaced factory shakers with some infinity 6.5's and added 2 infinity 6x9 that sound great but the sub under seat is lacking and been considering upgrade to a 10" or 12" in same area. Curious

2013 H190 SS/RS
4.3L Merc

Tow veh. 2010 Ram 1500

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:41 pm 
I don't know if folks scan through the old threads looking for tips and such, but I thought I'd offer something here. We replaced the factory sound system in our 2000 FW H180 with a Kenwood marine system. The deep base is ridiculous. We mounted the Kenwood 10" sub into the kick panel under the captain's console. It probably could have gone on either side. It seems to have worked well because the cavity under the console behind the kick panel is pretty well ventilated into the cavity area behind the panel. That air space opens to the ski locker, the side storage areas, under the front seats, and around into the engine compartment. There seems to be plenty of ventilation back there for the sub to work well. When in the boat, the actual "thump" feels like it's coming from everywhere.

We've been really happy with how well this system turned out in our boat. Deep rich sound, great thump, and clear voice.

In case it helps someone else looking to replace their audio system in their boat, the parts list is posted below: (purchased from Amazon).

Subwoofer and Amp:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009 ... UTF8&psc=1

Head Unit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BG ... UTF8&psc=1

6.5" speakers:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U7 ... UTF8&psc=1

Note: We did not replace the rear speakers in the rear side panels of the boat. We just took those out. Instead, I installed the rear speakers in the rear of the boat, under the back seats on either side of the engine, facing forward. I did this to help push the tunes to the front of the boat better. This also seems to have helped with sound quality in the boat with the speakers not directly facing each other. The front speakers are still in the sides of the boat under the captain's and passenger's consoles where the factory speakers were.

I hope maybe this will help someone else looking for a sweet sound system in their boat!!