www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which Audio Receiver?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:19 pm 
Sting Ray

Hi gang!

Been looking online and looking for input on 2 models. One is KDC-BT858U. The other is DPX-500BT. One thing I have to confirm with kicker is the preamp voltage that my KDX 400.4 amp will accept. The DPX preamp output is 2.5 volts. The KDC preamp output is 4 volts. I know the higher preamp voltage will allow the amp gains to be set lower and more resistance to induced noise. Both are around the $200 range and the KDC is 1 DIN and the DPX is 2 DIN. Also I'm wondering if I can connect a remote at my transom? I can only see one remote online. If I remember correctly I saw a remote with a digital display on another thread here but I don't see it online. Any input is appreciated as well as any other suggestions. I wasn't going to upgrade my Sony receiver this year but......lol.

Also looking at Alpine CDE-W235BT and Alpine CDE-143BT andAlpine CDE-HD148BT.

Thanks

2013 Four Winns H180 SS 4.3 volvo 200hp "Burning Desire"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:53 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Rav,

I use a ton of Kicker. One of which is their marine dual-zone volume control, which is a 9V p/chnl line level driver. Your KXM amp is good to go with any head-unit choose.

In my experience, most non-marine head-unit, do not support a remote. So I would confirm that with Kenwood, but I do not believe the 500BT will and im real curtain it will not support their LCD remote.

The one drawback to a true DDIN, is that once you cut that hole, you're married to it. It takes a well made custom plate to come back to a single DIN unit in the future.

Where is this head-unit located and where do you boat? It seems you are looking at all car source units? And just an FYI, Alpine no longer offers a marine head-unit and remote.

In RE to pre-out voltage. If two units have everything you are looking at, then go with the one with the higher level. On the flip side, a 2V source unit would not be a deal breaker. I have setup hundreds of noise free systems with perfect performance, on 2V marine head-units.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:44 pm 
Sting Ray

Wylie_Tunes wrote:
Rav,

I use a ton of Kicker. One of which is their marine dual-zone volume control, which is a 9V p/chnl line level driver. Your KXM amp is good to go with any head-unit choose.

In my experience, most non-marine head-unit, do not support a remote. So I would confirm that with Kenwood, but I do not believe the 500BT will and im real curtain it will not support their LCD remote.

The one drawback to a true DDIN, is that once you cut that hole, you're married to it. It takes a well made custom plate to come back to a single DIN unit in the future.

Where is this head-unit located and where do you boat? It seems you are looking at all car source units? And just an FYI, Alpine no longer offers a marine head-unit and remote.

In RE to pre-out voltage. If two units have everything you are looking at, then go with the one with the higher level. On the flip side, a 2V source unit would not be a deal breaker. I have setup hundreds of noise free systems with perfect performance, on 2V marine head-units.

Hey Wylie.

In terms of the car vs marine receiver I'm thinkin more value for the dollar but I'm open to other options. I definitely want I pod digital input t o USB. Bluetooth is a must. The receiver is located in my glove box so its quite protected from any water splashing but never say never lol. I boat on the trent severn waterway in the kawartha districts up here in Ontario. Good to know about the preamp voltage of the Kicker amp. I hear ya on the 2 DIN vs 1 DIN and good point. What receivers would you recommend? Thx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:28 pm 

Even a marine unit will self destruct from direct water spray. Im thinking more in terms of the conformal coated PCB that you will find on a marine unit. Its a plus for a fresh water boat and a must for a salt or brackish water boat. A marine unit will also give you a better chance at pairing up with a wired remote.

If you find a unit with rear AUX inputs, there are external BT options also. So you are not limited to internal BT only. Lots of units without CD's, but you will be hard pressed to find a unit that does not have USB.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:01 pm 
Sting Ray

Wylie_Tunes wrote:
Even a marine unit will self destruct from direct water spray. Im thinking more in terms of the conformal coated PCB that you will find on a marine unit. Its a plus for a fresh water boat and a must for a salt or brackish water boat. A marine unit will also give you a better chance at pairing up with a wired remote.

If you find a unit with rear AUX inputs, there are external BT options also. So you are not limited to internal BT only. Lots of units without CD's, but you will be hard pressed to find a unit that does not have USB.

Wylie

You have brought up some good points regarding moisture. Kenwood KMR-D558BT and Kenwood KMR-D562BTseems to be reasonably priced. I was also thinking of HD Radio but not sure if it's a big deal or not? Have you dealt with HD Radio? Hd radio cost more lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:36 pm 

not much call for HD, most dont listen to the tuner any more, they stream is all. Heck, even SAT can be streamed to any head-unit via your phone. We are doing more and more systems without a traditional source unit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:17 pm 

Fusion :wink:

I would at lest look into them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:08 pm 
Sting Ray

Will do. Kenwood seems to have affordable head units compared to aline and fusion. Looking at Kenwood KMR-D562BT as an option so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:20 am 

Fusion is not cheap! But you get what you pay for. For some boaters it has too many "bells &...."

Its a very solid unit, well made, and very easy to use and setup. Some of the new GPS units can interface with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:54 am 
Sting Ray

Paul I. wrote:
Fusion is not cheap! But you get what you pay for. For some boaters it has too many "bells &...."

Its a very solid unit, well made, and very easy to use and setup. Some of the new GPS units can interface with it.

Good to know...... I will look into them..... I have read some people speak negatively about them......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:39 am 

RaveOn wrote:
Paul I. wrote:

Good to know...... I will look into them..... I have read some people speak negatively about them......

This board for some reason is Neg on them. Google reviews on them. There not built for smaller boats, they can NEMA2k networked, VHF channels and Marine Weather. They go after the

You can network the remotes too. No home runs needed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:48 pm 

well it also depends on which model.. and many of us feel that you get a much better processor and EQ for the same or less money with a traditional HU and simply put it in the housing. Adding a transom water proof remote muck and you are done..

at the end of the day opinions are like ass holes and everyone has one.. personally i do not care for fusion. But i am not your mother so what i say is not set in stone.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:10 pm 

Jdpber wrote:
well it also depends on which model.. and many of us feel that you get a much better processor and EQ for the same or less money with a traditional HU and simply put it in the housing. Adding a transom water proof remote muck and you are done..

at the end of the day opinions are like ass holes and everyone has one.. personally i do not care for fusion. But i am not your mother so what i say is not set in stone.

The 700 & 600 models I am talking about. I like Fusion, all I am saying is. At least look at them, don't just rule them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:53 am 

Paul I. wrote:
Jdpber wrote:

The 700 & 600 models I am talking about. I like Fusion, all I am saying is. At least look at them, don't just rule them.

I'll jump with support for Fusion - I have the IP700 and love it, add the bluetooth module and it's perfect.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:10 pm 
Dolphin

Yeah, I have a Fusion 700 and it's awesome. I highly recommend that one, I haven't seen anything on the water that I like better, and the remotes you can get for them are awesome!!