www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bow speakers?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:54 am 
wkearney99

Anyone tried putting speakers up on the bow area on Vista? The admiral likes riding on the bow cushions sometimes and is asking about getting some tunes up there. Mainly when we're cruising on plane at about 20mph. I'm considering some box speakers but don't know how well, or even if, they'd be worth bothering with. Then there's the quesiton of effectively mounting them, presumably to the uprights on the bow rails. Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:17 am 

one of these might work better.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:24 am 
wkearney99

Uh no, the point isn't to have an expensive iPod up on the bow and headphones in her ears. We already lost a plastic Margarita glass overboard (damn thing didn't float). The iPod is plugged into the Clarion setup. That it wouldn't be very safe to have someone up there with headphones on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:25 am 
Mental Floss

I would highly suggest that she not ride on the bow especially on plane. Riding upfont without permanent fixed seating will get you stopped and ticketed by the CG. Even with the bow rails it's not advised.

Just to double check, I'd call the Marine Patrol and/or CG and ask specifically what they consider a proper bow to allow riding.

Just to give you an example, Florida re-worded the bow riding language and now even at idle sitting on the padded engine cowling or sun pad will get you stopped and possible a ticket. A friend's wife always sat on the bbackrests of his bow rider while he was in dile zones. He got stopped and warned that her butt must be seated in a fixed seat even though she was in the middle of the boat, not anywhere near a gunwale.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:42 am 
wkearney99

That's all well and good, and thanks for the warning, but it doesn't address the speaker question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:39 pm 
Mental Floss

Didn't reply to the speaker part because IMHO the best suggestion was already made...an iPod

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:39 pm 
wkearney99

jvalich wrote:
Didn't reply to the speaker part because IMHO the best suggestion was already made...an iPod

Best? Not by a long shot. Bad idea on several fronts, the least of which being the cost of an iPod and marine environment risks to it. Then there's the safety risks of having headphones on an not being able to hear, or just getting the cord tangled up while moving about.

While it's certainly a valid point about avoiding use of the bow area while underway, the alternative of using a headphone device is nowhere near 'better'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:48 pm 

I emailed monstertower.com to see if they have any speaker options for a 1" rail...

still waiting for a reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:12 am 
wkearney99

ifourwinns wrote:
I emailed monstertower.com to see if they have any speaker options for a 1" rail...

Thanks! Although wakeboard tower speakers might be serious overkill for this particular situation. I'm not trying to make it THAT LOUD and they're a bit bigger than might look right. But I hadn't considered researching the tower angle, good idea!

While searching the web I did come across that poly planar makes some 4" cube speakers that'll take up to 52 watts. I've no idea what they sound like. But then I'm still faced with the question of where and how to install them in such a way as to be useful without looking odd.

And beyond the use of them while underway, there's also the desire to have sound up on the foredeck when docked or at anchor without having to crank up the arch speakers. Mainly to avoid requiring anyone else nearby to have to listen to whatever we've got playing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:26 pm 
268 Vista

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-V6ZZQ3P5fc ... 070DMS655S

OR............

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pSm8k6qwzNE/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=1086100M

You will need to make a spacer ring as , these infinity's are for a 1 1/2 in rail. should be easy to make.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:52 pm 
wkearney99

Clever setup, but those things are WAY too big for use up on the foredeck. I'm going with a pair of 4" Poly Planar 840s using some rail mount clamps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:31 am 
268 Vista

wkearney99 wrote:
Clever setup, but those things are WAY too big for use up on the foredeck. I'm going with a pair of 4" Poly Planar 840s using some rail mount clamps.

Okee Dokee, they will sound alot better than those PP's though.
You are a VERY particular person.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:03 pm 
wkearney99

Yeah, kinda particular. But remember what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm not trying to CRANK the tunes up there. I'm just trying to add a little fill to the area without having to blast up the sound from the speakers on the arch. As in, anchored out somewhere sitting on the foredeck and wanting a bit of music without disturbing everyone else. Sure, sound carries over water but a couple of smaller speakers pointed right to the seating area, at a reasonable volume is a lot less likely to bug everyone else.

The next step will be figuring out how to run the wires to the speakers and setup a volume control.