www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:03 pm 
Minnow

I am looing to upgrade the stereo in my boat and have read a lot of posts from some folks that seem like they know more than I about capacity. I have a 2008 210 Horizon with the 5.7L Volvo motor. It has a 75amp alternator and I am looking to replace the existing Sony 6.5" speakers with the kicker LED speakers (41KM654LCW). I want to add two for a total of 6 speakers and run an 8" kicker comp RT sub (40TCWRT84). All this will be run off a Kicker amp (40KXM8005) and I have installed the blue sea systems dual battery switch and relay with a second interstate marine battery.

Is this too much for the house battery?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:24 am 
email admin your custom rank

OurBeaught wrote:
I am looing to upgrade the stereo in my boat and have read a lot of posts from some folks that seem like they know more than I about capacity. I have a 2008 210 Horizon with the 5.7L Volvo motor. It has a 75amp alternator and I am looking to replace the existing Sony 6.5" speakers with the kicker LED speakers (41KM654LCW). I want to add two for a total of 6 speakers and run an 8" kicker comp RT sub (40TCWRT84). All this will be run off a Kicker amp (40KXM8005) and I have installed the blue sea systems dual battery switch and relay with a second interstate marine battery.

I don't understand the question?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:52 am 
268 Vista

Paul I. wrote:
OurBeaught wrote:

I don't understand the question?

Not surprising......

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:36 am 

Are you making fun of me :D .

First off, the math needs to be done. He is not stating the maximum load in amps. Also, what size is the battery, how long do you want the battery to last before it hits 50%. Than the question can be answered if that is what he is looking for.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:10 am 

well it depends on how long you want the house battery to last and how loud you are playing the music. if you are at 100% then no wit will not last all day. 20% and chillin on the boat you should get a couple hours depending on the Amp hours capacity of the battery you choose.

I have 2 house batteries and over sized Amps. the reasoning for the crazy over power of amps is so that i do not have to push them. The way this works is if your speakers are 100w X6 of them and your amp is a 600wX6 then you have the speakers at 100% the amp will be pushing 90-100% load and drawing its max power from your battery. Now for me i have a 3200 watts. each amp is 1600w. so 1600 x4 so my speakers pull 200w of the 400w available per channel. so to run my speakers at 100% i only have to run my amps at 50%. now it is way too loud to ever run them at this out put. So in regular Cruising speed i am 12-16% and we are rocking out while cruising. On the hook ill have them rock 25-30 but much after that it will hurt your ears if you are in the cockpit.

Ok so my point is If you run that amp it will be 75%+ almost all of the time and will be pulling a good deal of power front the house battery. If you have a larger amplifier with extra power it does not have to work as hard to output the same volume result and in turn you use less battery power thus yielding a longer run time. my dual house batteries i have yet to drain. now i do occasionally fire up the motor and let them charge but not often.

FOOD for thought. you can run what you want but do not expect that by adding a house battery that you now magically have an all day Rock Concert

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:52 pm 
Minnow

Makes sense. Not looking to run the stereo all day long. We are on a smaller lake so most of time we are cruising around listening to the stereo at about 30%-50% power. If we float its usually not more than an hour or so and the volume is usually even lower like 25%-35%.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:19 pm 

Absolutely not too much, The new Kicker Marine Class-D amps are very efficient, so very low current draw compared to watts output. I would however, make a couple of suggestions. If you have room, go with a group-29 deep-cycle. 2nd, Any way possible to step up to a 10" woofer like the KM10, rather than an 8" comp? The KM10 is incredibly musical woofer, not to mention deeper bass extension and more output without requiring more power.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:12 pm 
Minnow

Good to hear about the amp. I got a few other really good reviews on this amp which is why i purchased it. I also liked the dual channel output so I could run the speakers and the sub with a single amp. I would like to have gone with the 10", but I couldn't seem to find room for it without making major modification to the underside of the back bench and the fiberglass. I looked for a couple of other spots, but am trying to do as little cutting into the fiberglass as possible and want a clean look. I am also not looking for a competition level system, just an upgrade to the weak stock system that came with the boat. Thanks for the suggestion on the battery.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:30 pm 

Well, the best sub is the one done right. If a 10 wont fit it wont fit. Rather have an 8" with a good seal then a 10" thats not sitting flush and leaks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:06 pm 
230 Mike

A pair of group 27's on a bow rider (i.e., not a lot of other demand for power) will be plenty of power to spare for your setup.

For relatively cheap insurance, 1) change out all your bulbs to LED's (you'll be happier anyway), and 2) carry one of the new pocket sized jumper packs. One like this one works amazingly well, and comes with connections to run/charge/jump just about anything you're likely to have aboard.

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Power-So ... detailpage

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:32 pm 
Minnow

Finished the stereo install this weekend. Looks and sounds great. I attached a link to some pics since I couldn't figure out how to post them from my Google+ account.

https://goo.gl/photos/79pPSXJwogumAxFt9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:23 am 

Nice job. 8)
Where is your amp mounted?
As I'm sure you know, the amp's fuse needs to be within a foot of the battery, not the amp.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:27 am 

Yes, you need some form of main circuit protection for that amp, than needs to be mounted close to where that main B+ amp cable comes off the switch. Given the switches location, I would suggest a circuit breaker.

Just note, that sub enclosure is raw MDF thats covered in water holding carpet. Will likely degrade in a season or 2.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:26 am 
Minnow

The amp is mounted in the bow, in front of the dash. There is a fuse near the battery and a second fuse near the amp. Probably overkill, but better safe than sorry. As for the sub box, the picture doesn't really show that its sitting about 3/4 of an inch off the floor on some rubber legs screwed into the box. These soft rubber legs are also preventing it from sliding around. If I get more than 3/4 of an inch of water in that back compartment I have some other issues I should be worrying about. :D