www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:19 am 
Clownfish

Has anyone ever replaced the Clarion XMD3 with a later version Clarion if so what model.
I was hoping to get a plug & play without having to re wire.
How do you get the old one out.
Thanks
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:36 am 
email admin your custom rank

Swapping the head units power harness color for color will be the easy part. You will likely have to fabricate an ABS trim plate to go between the boat and new head unit in order to cover up the old mounting screw holes.

I like the Clarion M303 and M505

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:39 pm 
Dolphin

Been looking into this myself and from what I understand the remote controls are tricky as the pin configuration has changed from 6 to 8 (or vice versa?) and adapters are hard to find, so some extra costs are involved in rewiring / fishing lines in difficult spots.

Four Winns 348 (2005)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:08 am 
Clownfish

So has anyone changed this unit out and what model did they use I don't particularly want to change the remotes.
Does a cmd8 work.
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:19 am 

The CMD8 has the new generation remote pin configuration, so new remotes is the route to go if you want to retain the LCD readout and full function of your remotes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:31 pm 
230 Mike

I need to start following this sub-forum more closely. I just went through a month-long conversation with my nearest Clarion dealer (the only people Clarion is willing to have an actual conversation with). I wanted to know if Clarion made a newer Bluetooth head unit that would be plug & play compatible with the APX480M amp, the MR301 wired remotes, Serius, etc. The bottom line is, no - Clarion changed the whole bus & harness just the following year (2006) and the old wired remotes (at least) won't work at all.

Since I've already upgraded my speakers and everything else is working great in my system, I'm just going to add a powered Bluetooth module and run it through the Aux input, removing the 1/8" stereo jack I added several years ago. I'll be doing that in the next couple of weeks.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:33 pm 

Quote:
removing the 1/8" stereo jack I added

For this application, I would suggest looking into the Wet Sounds BT-VC. It can be panel mounted and occupy the hole vacated by your headphone jack. Requires a 7/8" hole, has track skip and volume dial. You can wire it to switch on via the amp turn-on trigger from the head unit or switched ignition.

https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/WW-VC-BT.html

Another option is the new A-Link that is only a few weeks away from release. They are a 2.4 ghz wireless transmitter/receiver. They are rechargeable and not a hard wired install like the blue tooth. Great range and can be used to DJ multiple systems .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:06 pm 
230 Mike

Thanks for the suggestions! I wasn't very clear. I'm going to leave the 1/8" jack installed for now, but disconnect it. At some point I may consider some type of switch to select between the jack and BT, but more likely the jack will just be removed down the road.

The BT module I'm going with (Fusion MS-BT100) has no controls and can be mounted behind the wall, near the head unit.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:00 pm 

4 years ago, the fusion 100 was the go-2 BT for me. Now, its sound quality is crap compared to whats out there. Its old and outdated and has a very weak output level. I still suggest the Wet Sounds BT-VC. It comes with surface mount as well, or if one wants, mount it in an inconspicuous place. The dial is not needed except only to put it in paring mode for each new device. The 2nd unit I suggest is the Roswell Cybox. If your head unit has an adjustable AUX sensitivity, then you can also consider the Metra Installbay IBR64 or Cerwin Vega CVBTR4. They are a tad "hot" into a head unit AUX, unless you have an adjustable sense.

You dont need a A/B switch, just Y the hard wire 3.5mm and BT output together. Just dont try to use both at the same time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:57 pm 
230 Mike

It's hard to ignore the disparity in Amazon reviews between the two units (even keeping in mind how twisted Amazon reviews can be)...

The way I'm planning to do this, I can make the BT-100 connections and try it out. If it sounds terrible, I can throw it back in the box and return it, and come up with a new plan over the winter.

I do have adjustable sense, but I've never had the impression that its range of adjustability was very wide.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic