www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:44 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Skip that zenclosure hutzlocker box all together.

I would take a direct radiating 10IB any day of the week, over a woofer closed in a locker.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:19 am 
Livin' the Dream

Wylie_Tunes wrote:
Skip that zenclosure hutzlocker box all together.

I would take a direct radiating 10IB any day of the week, over a woofer closed in a locker.

Thanks Wylie!

I seen this a little late, Decided to go with the infinite baffle JL Audio sub, but went with the 8" Max Performance.... Just thought it would be easier to cut the 8" hole in my boat :shock: and not as deep. Not much detail where people have done it, so I will be my own guinnie pig

Should be here friday, hoping the weather is decent, gonna install it at some point this weekend.... Might move it to between the port locker and the cabin door. Kinda up in the air....

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:03 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Installed the 8” JL Max IB Sub today, went as well as I could Of hoped. I installed It aft of the the cockpit light on the starboard side, under the U bench seat. Plenty of depth, just had to install between the blower vent hose and the pump out hoses.

With the proximity of the amp and the inverter under the top step of the cabin, I was Getting noise/feedback if I turned The inverter on, Through the speakers, even with no 120 volt load. So, I used Some metal liquid tight as a chase for the speaker wires and a separate one for the sub wires. The idea being that the metal chase would eliminate any induced voltage (noise) that eliminated most of it. When I ran The microwave, I got Some noise, but a fraction of before.

I am Going to try to do a similar chase with the 120 wire that feeds to the main electric panel from the inverter. Just trying to get that last little bit out. If it doesn’t get it, I can Live with it. We rarely have the music on when we are using the inverter.

So, I am Thrilled I went With the 8” JL Audio Max Sub, a 10” would of been a little tighter in between the seat and floor, I think There is 12” total....

I was A car stereo freak in high school (class of 90). Always had either 4-10” subs or 2-15” in a box.... vibrating everything..... dynamat was expensive back then! I feel Anymore that what I have Now, would have too much reverberation....

With all that said, I put On some songs from back in the day to hear and compare, I am Thrilled with the output of this little JL Audio M400/4 amp. I have The amp at min impedance, adjusted the gain as the instructions detailed, it’s about 70%.... I used the Tuner to about 40% of max (50 is max, went to between 15 and 20 usually). This thing is clear and cranks it out, can’t wait to finally hear it over the engine

Thanks for all the help in this, and previous post on here. Made fishing the wire, picking locations, type etc, so much easier.....

Have a great day!

Past

Last edited by chris268 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:15 pm 

Can I offer a couple tips?

I would set the amp gain with the head unit at about 80% of max, so about 38 in your case. This will yield a lower amp gain while still allowing the amp to produce its rated output. 70% gain could be part of why you are hearing unwanted noise. This brings us the next tip. If you are hearing unwanted noise, like white or engine noise through a woofer, its cross-over point might be too high. I like to say, if you can hear Toby Keith you are bout right, you hear Miley Cyrus, you're too high.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:36 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Thanks Wylie, I will Give it a shot. I hope your right!

I really Believe this is either caused by induction from the ac currents magnetic field inducing noise into the speaker cables.

Past

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:24 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Wylie_Tunes wrote:
Can I offer a couple tips?

I would set the amp gain with the head unit at about 80% of max, so about 38 in your case. This will yield a lower amp gain while still allowing the amp to produce its rated output. 70% gain could be part of why you are hearing unwanted noise. This brings us the next tip. If you are hearing unwanted noise, like white or engine noise through a woofer, its cross-over point might be too high. I like to say, if you can hear Toby Keith you are bout right, you hear Miley Cyrus, you're too high.

Wylie
I am Using the crossover built into the amp, I have The high pass set to 80 and the low pass set to 60

Is that close?

Thanks again for the advise

Past

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:24 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Here is a pic of the sub I added

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JLLVuTOluMscuyhn2

Here is a pic of a speaker I added in the arch, the 1” spacer worked perfect, I think It turned out nice

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X9A34nrpDe618g4i2

Past

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:21 pm 
Livin' the Dream

So, I made some adjustments on the amp today. Thanks Wylie, I didnt Go as far as you suggested, but close....

I set The high pass to 110 hz and the sub at about 90 hz. Set the gains at 50% and played some of the old bass songs I had From the early 90’s.... so that was fun :lol:

No luck (yet) on eliminating the hum when the microwave is running using the inverter. When on normal shore power, no issue. So I’m am sure this is from the inverter. Might have to break down and by a true rms inverter instead of the square wave one I have....

Besides that, I think this project is done, at least for this year :lol:

Thanks to all that have made suggestions along the way!

Past

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:41 pm 

I have a hunch you are right with the inverter. My modified sign wave inverter causes some "noise", and the microwave (and some other appliances) don't seem to run as efficiently on the inverter as on shore power.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon