www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sony Radio Presets
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:59 pm 
email admin your custom rank

This wasn't an issue on my '318 and I can only think that the battery switch on the 240 truly shuts them off, where the 318 had different battery switches (on/off for each engine and a separate ships system switch).

That aside, on the '318 I was able to set the radio presets when I launched and they would stay all season. With the 240, anytime I turn the batteries off - presets get erased. Is there an easy way around this?

Post subject: Re: Sony Radio Presets
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:55 pm 

Yes, you need to trace down the termination point of the head units yellow B+/MEM and move it to a battery direct/constant BUS, switch posts or battery post. However, with external amps and dual banks, this can invite unwanted audio noise.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:02 pm 
Livin' the Dream

I have this on my 2002 vista 268, going to try to wait til winter to chase this one. But the blue tooth pairing is getting agrivating already....

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:09 pm 

chris268 wrote:
I have this on my 2002 vista 268, going to try to wait til winter to chase this one. But the blue tooth pairing is getting agrivating already....

I couldn't recall if this was an issue on mine or not, I think I used the CD changer mostly on that boat.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:42 am 
GIDDY UP

chris268 wrote:
But the blue tooth pairing is getting agrivating already....

I'm planning to wire a switch or just use a bullet connector for the bluetooth power wire. Just so it has constant power while we are out on the water. NOT going to pair it every time the ignition is switched.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:18 pm 
Livin' the Dream

I think my blue tooth is good, til I shut off the house power

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:40 pm 

BrentC5Z wrote:
chris268 wrote:

I'm planning to wire a switch or just use a bullet connector for the bluetooth power wire. Just so it has constant power while we are out on the water. NOT going to pair it every time the ignition is switched.

A universal blue tooth should not be switched ignition anyway. Needs to share the same constant B+ as the head unit and any other audio. if you dont want it "on" when the stereo is off, thats easily remedied with a relay, but the BT still shares the same B+ as the head unit. Your universal blue tooth retailer/installer should be able to help with the details.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:10 pm 

Wylie_Tunes wrote:
Yes, you need to trace down the termination point of the head units yellow B+/MEM and move it to a battery direct/constant BUS, switch posts or battery post. However, with external amps and dual banks, this can invite unwanted audio noise.

Thanks Wylie! Unfortunately your speaking a different language than me. I've never been a car/boat audio guy aside from speaker upgrades. This boat does not have a sub or an external amp, so as long as I switch the yellow B+/MEM wire to a constant hot - I'll be good to go?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:09 pm 

Quote:
switch

move or relocate. Switch gives it a whole new meaning.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:36 am 
GIDDY UP

Wylie_Tunes wrote:
BrentC5Z wrote:
chris268 wrote:

A universal blue tooth should not be switched ignition anyway. Needs to share the same constant B+ as the head unit and any other audio. if you dont want it "on" when the stereo is off, thats easily remedied with a relay, but the BT still shares the same B+ as the head unit. Your universal blue tooth retailer/installer should be able to help with the details.

I'm pretty well versed in this area. The head unit B+ would keep the bluetooth unit constantly powered. I don't care to have a constant drain when the boat is stored. It only has power & ground wires. I don't want it switched with the ignition while on the lake because it would constantly re-pair. We switch the ignition from run to accy roughly 10-15 times per outing due to the kids riding towables behind the boat.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:42 am 

@brent

In the context of firecadet's original post, he wants to retain head unit memory. This involves relocating the head unit yellow B+/MEM from the boat side of the switch to the battery side of the switch.

Chris expressed an issue with repairing BT due to interruption going from RUN to ACC and then back to RUN when shutting down and then re-firing the engine. By wiring the BT to the same constant B+/MEM as the head unit yellow, this issue is now resolved. Head unit and stereo stay power up and BT connected when shutting down or re-firing engine. In some cases, this also involves relocating the head unit red turn-on from the ACC post of the key switch to a helm rocker. Regardless, the BT needs to be with the head unit yellow, not the red.

In your case, you dont want any drain on the battery(s) during storage. Is it safe to assume that you have already remedied this with the head unit yellow B+/MEM? If, then you should also follow the advise and wire the BT to the head unit yellow B+/MEM as in your case, its on the boat side of the main switch and isolated from the batteries during storage.

Now, in the case where someone wants head unit memory retention but does not want the BT receiving voltage while the boat is stowed or the stereo is off, I suggest a relay as noted in my previous post. The relay will allow the BT to share the same voltage source as the head unit B+/MEM, yet be switched on/off with no fear of a ground loop.

For anyone interested, one of my BT's measures 3ma idle and connected and 20ma streaming @ 100% volume on my razor.