www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: stereo help H210SS 2008
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:21 am 
email admin your custom rank

i have the Sony receiver with Sirius that came standard with 2008 models, it has the fold down front to access the cd slot, which never gets used, not a big fan of this stereo, but looking for biggest bang speaker and amp to use. I dont need a sub but want to swap the sony 5.5 speakers and maybe add a 3rd set in free standing boxes in the side open compartments,

i read that getting 75 rms would be best along with an amp...not sure how many channels and power amp and model speakers and amp to get. i know wetsounds is top line but way too rich for my budget. i need best bang for the dollar....just want loud enough to hear in boat while cruising...not trying to impress with tower sound.

prior owner already had amp wire run to bttry, so shouldnt be a nightmare....just want good all round loud sound

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:25 am 

Just note, your current xm/sirius receiver will be unusable with a new a new head unit. If you want to retain the service, you will need to get a new xm/sirius receiver.

Also, if you have mounted wired remotes, they will also be obsolete and not compatible with a new head unit.

I am very happy with the Clarion M303 head unit. Good features, BT is decent quality, supported remotes, fairly user friendly.

I would look to make sure you can fit a standard 6.5" marine speaker. Most have about a 7" OD and maybe a little more depth then what your current speakers are. Before you sign off the entire wet sounds brand due to price, just note, they do offer standard level speaker thats in the price range of the JL MX650, Kicker KXM654 and Rockford Fosgate PM262. Look at the Wet Sounds XS and SW 65i series. That are in the same price and power handling arena, so all very fair in comparison.

For 3 pair of speakers, a 4 chnl is all thats needed. My choice is the Kicker KXMA400.4 marine amp.

Adding a 3rd is an easy way to increase volume in the cabin. If a speaker enclosure system is the way you need to go, the Kicker KB6000 is a great setup. But I would first look to a traditional coaxial mounted in the deck or coaming pad. Its always best to stick with the same speaker/series.

Before reusing existing cabling, you need to know its quality and gauge. You are putting your safety and property in the hands of someone else work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:03 am 

Thanks for the info and very helpful...I am researching cost on some of those items you mentioned.

The installed wiring is damn near the size of a battery cable, but i will check it out to make sure no breaks etc....it also has an inline fuse in the wiring near where it hooks to the battery....good point though! If nothing else, i can use it as a way to tie off new wire and pull it to the helm so it will be useful regardless.

I think i will keep the original Sony stereo for now as that will let me afford a more quality speaker and amp system. He must have prepaid the Sirius connection since i had it free for 2 years before they shut it down. Not worth the money for limited use for me, but will leave it hooked up just in case. The prior owner spent a ton of money to only have the boat for one year and 18 hours. I see he had speakers on the tower and removed the system before putting it up for sale.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:48 am 
Shark

I just had my stock sony head unit take a crap on me this weekend. I am not surprised considering it is mean for a car not a boat. It lasted 4 years. I just installed this new sony head unit https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MEXM100BT-M ... rine+radio. It had 40 watts rms per channel. It powers my Infinity speakers awesome now. If you dont want to mess with and amp I would recommend this head unit. My sony remotes on the dash and the swim deck work perfect with the new head unit.