Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 268 vista sound system
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:19 am 
Livin' the Dream

Looking to upgrade my sound system in my 2002. Ordered a new head unit today
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158MEXM70B ... M70BT.html

Looking at replacing the 6.5 speakers in the cockpit and adding an additional pair looking at these

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136MX650SW ... 865&awdv=t

Thinking of getting this amp, where I could use the 2 channels to drive the 4-6.5 speakers now, then use the last channel later and add a sub woofer....
http://www.jlaudio.com/m500-3-marine-au ... iers-98277

I am planning on running the cabin speakers off the power of the head unit, don't need much down there....

Where did you mount the amp? I have heard on the larger vistas that the factory amp is behind the fridge, thinking I will try the same location....

Any tips on what you did, products you used, where you mounted the speakers/Amps, how you wired or why, would be greatly appreciated

I will be piece milling this throughout the winter, planning on ordering the speakers in a couple weeks and the amp after the new year.... and then the fuse block, #4 wire speaker wire connections right before install

Thanks in advance

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:30 pm 
Livin' the Dream

So, I received the head unit yesterday and the first pair of JL Audio 6.5" with the sport grills today...

I will be doing a straight swap for the first pair in the cockpit this weekend. For a future set of speakers, thinking about the arch... what spacers have you guys used? This speaker measures 2.75" deep. The arch (from memory) allows 1.75"... so an inch should work.... if you have another location for the cockpit, please share away, I am looking for more volume, not a ton and good quality
any info would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Past

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:26 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I did see where someone on this site had added another pair of cockpit speakers, one behind the captain's seat in the wall at the aft base of the side window, and the other in the port side wall wherever you can make it work.

The following website may be of interest. The audio system mods may be a bit dated since they were done several years ago, but many of the concepts remain useful. Several of the projects were on a '99 268 that he refers to as a "Cruiser".
http://www.boat-project.com

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:14 am 
Livin' the Dream

Great info, thank you!

Past

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:50 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Thanks for the help Gary/ Guys, new head uinit and 2 new jl audio speakers sound great....

next will be an amp, hoping to mount it behind the fridge. Seems like plenty of space, just need to figure out a secure way to mount it. Any suggestions? I am looking there because I don't want to lose anymore storage.... the amp will be 3 channels, 2 for 4-6,5 coaxial speakers and the other for a couple 8" subs....

Past

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:43 pm 

Chris, have a look at the specs for the Amp regarding how much heat it will tolerate. The refridgerator will generate some heat so that might be something to consider.

Another possible location is under the top step coming into the cabin just aft of the galley. I have seen pictures on Boat Trader for 2005 or later models where this step is hinged about 2 or 3 inches from the front. The back section tips up and forward revealing the space under the steps. Whether this panel is hinged near the front, at the back or on the outboard edge, the top step will need to be 2 pieces, a couple inches on the front edge that is secured in place and the rest of the panel that lifts up. The one boat I saw had a garbage can under the step. Here is a link to that listing that has 2 photos, one with the lid closed showing the hinge area and the other showing a sheet of starboard cut and routed to fit the garbage can top edge. http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2004- ... 102758926/

If you decide to do this, the current top step is screwed down from the top through the carpet. Feel around in the carpet for the screwheads. I believe there are 3 or 4 of them.

You had mentioned possibly adding 2 speakers. On the starboard side I had mentioned throuth the upholstered panel just below the back edge of the side window. Another possibility may be down near the floor ahead of the seat and behind the beige panel holding the Fuse panel. On the Port side you may not have room behind the cooler location and battery switches and ahead of the walk thru door. The best location may be ahead of the port side storage compartment, behind the opened cabin door, and below the upholstered panel. No, I have not done this.....not yet at least. Hope this helps.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:15 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Great thinking! I really didn't think about the heat, because I have read that the larger vistas had mounted the factory amp behind the fridge.

I did think about putting it under the step, but, I didn't see the mounting for the top step. Thanks for the info on the screws through the carpet... I think this is the place to put it now. Thanks for the feedback

I plan on adding 2 more 6.5" JL audio coaxial and 2 subs... I like the idea of one near the fuse panel on the starboard and one on the port side between the cabin door and the storage access door

The subs.... thinking of using the JL audio 8.8" simply for size. Thinking I could mount one behind the port side vinyl panel (since its non directional) and the second toward the rear of the starboard factory 6.5".... I would prefer one sub, but to get the power out of the amp and to avoid over powering just 1 sub with the JL audio M500/3 which deliver 300 watts to the sub channel at 2 ohms and 200 to the mids at 2 ohms. I think those are conservative numbers.... I am not necessarily wanting to blow the cove away, obviously, just wanting a clean system that is respectable :)

Past

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:48 pm 

Quote:
I would prefer one sub, but to get the power out of the amp and to avoid over powering just 1 sub with the JL audio M500/3 which deliver 300 watts to the sub channel at 2 ohms and 200 to the mids at 2 ohms

Have you considered the Wet Sounds SW10AF 2 ohm? similar white louvered grill to the JL classic but a true IB woofer with a 2 ohm VC with a 300W rms/600W peak rating.

A single 10 could be more output than two 8", but will certainly deliver deeper bass extension without any phase cancellation that you might get from two woofers in different locations.

Quote:
The subs.... thinking of using the JL audio 8.8"

JL makes a marine 8" woofer in the "M" series, but no 8.8 in amy series. they do make an 8.8 full-range coaxial, but its not a sub woofer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:41 am 
Livin' the Dream

Wylie_Tunes wrote:
Quote:
I would prefer one sub, but to get the power out of the amp and to avoid over powering just 1 sub with the JL audio M500/3 which deliver 300 watts to the sub channel at 2 ohms and 200 to the mids at 2 ohms

Have you considered the Wet Sounds SW10AF 2 ohm? similar white louvered grill to the JL classic but a true IB woofer with a 2 ohm VC with a 300W rms/600W peak rating.

A single 10 could be more output than two 8", but will certainly deliver deeper bass extension without any phase cancellation that you might get from two woofers in different locations.

Quote:
The subs.... thinking of using the JL audio 8.8"

JL makes a marine 8" woofer in the "M" series, but no 8.8 in amy series. they do make an 8.8 full-range coaxial, but its not a sub woofer.

Thanks for the info Wylie. Here is the JL audio sub I was looking at.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13691372/J ... SG-WH.html

It appears both measure 8.8" just one is a coaxial and one is strictly a sub.

I have no experience with the wet sounds products. I will check it out, back in the day, a few companies (car audio) had come out with dual voice coil subs for this reason, this is really what I need

thank you for the info!

Past

Last edited by chris268 on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:09 am 
Livin' the Dream

Def intrigued by this Wylie,
Here is the one I believe you were talking about

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_930 ... White.html

I am guessing you have used their products/subs. What are your thoughts?

I was a big stereo head back in the early 90's so everything has past me by..... I remember buying my first detachable face plate CD player, almost $600 back in 1991/1992.... pioneer premier :)
Rockford fosgate amps/subs....
Polk audio mids and highs....
Alpine 3321 eq....

Those were the days...

Past

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:51 am 

Quote:

I see where the "8.8" came from. Not sure why crutchfield calls it an 8.8 other than its grill OD measures 8.8". At the end of the day, its in the 8" woofer class, but JL doesnt use the 8.8 terminology with it, as they do with their 8" in-boat and tower speaker. Makes it a little confusing.

Quote:

Yes, TONS of the Wet Sounds and quite a few of the 10fa woofers. Its a true infinite-baffle woofer just like the JL, but you can get it in both the 4 ohm and 2 ohm. This makes it much easier to get the most out of your woofer chnl. The build quality of the Wet Sounds it top notch. Their performance is 2nd to none. Everything is designed and built from the ground up as a marine product.

Another option, you could go with the XS style spoke grill and paint it gloss white to better match the JL sport grill if thats the style of in-boats grill.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:34 am 
Livin' the Dream

Wylie_Tunes wrote:
Quote:

I see where the "8.8" came from. Not sure why crutchfield calls it an 8.8 other than its grill OD measures 8.8". At the end of the day, its in the 8" woofer class, but JL doesnt use the 8.8 terminology with it, as they do with their 8" in-boat and tower speaker. Makes it a little confusing.

Quote:

Yes, TONS of the Wet Sounds and quite a few of the 10fa woofers. Its a true infinite-baffle woofer just like the JL, but you can get it in both the 4 ohm and 2 ohm. This makes it much easier to get the most out of your woofer chnl. The build quality of the Wet Sounds it top notch. Their performance is 2nd to none. Everything is designed and built from the ground up as a marine product.

Another option, you could go with the XS style spoke grill and paint it gloss white to better match the JL sport grill if thats the style of in-boats grill.

Thanks Wylie! I appreciate all the info. I was thinking of painting the silver chrome to match better, so that may be the way I go

Past

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:55 pm 
Livin' the Dream

So, better late than never, ordered a JL Audio m400/4 amp (http://www.jlaudio.com/m400-4-marine-au ... iers-98271) and another set of the 6.5” JL audio coax speakers ( http://www.jlaudio.com/mx650-ccx-sg-wh- ... tems-91938)
And Some 4 awg welding cable....

Hoping to squeeze the amp under the step, near the location i installed my inverter, not sure if it will fit....
Still undecided on the speaker location..... thinking I will Put the starboard one near the captains right ankle, and the port one between the small locker and the cabin door..... I like the idea of mounting the starboard one in the vinyl trim on the gun wall behind the captains seat, but haven’t figured out how to get that off, and it’s probably easier this way...

After I get this done, I will Order a sub, starting to think a sealed box under the rear seat would be the simplest install..... I know, It’s like that Johnny cash song, I got It one piece at a time...... but it cost me some dimes.....

Past

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:44 pm 
Livin' the Dream

So, as I was Looking at how to get the wires to different locations, I ran Across a white connector in the center top of the arch that has a grey/red tracer conductor and a black conductor. They went to the starboard top opening of the arch, where the same type of connector was, a set of the same color going in and out.... nothing on the port side.

Curious if anyone has seen this, knows what it was pre wired for.

Got the amp mounted under the top step in the cabin, also got the #4 wire (x2) from the amp (terminated) and sitting in the engine room next to the batteries.

I decided To mount the second set in the lower arch openings. Ordered a set of 1”spacers that will just work... so tonight, I am Drilling the holes for mounting the speakers and also the ring to the aluminum arch
https://www.boatoutfitters.com/custom-s ... trim-rings

Fished the rca cables in and hooked them up....
hoping to spend an hour or 2 at the boat tomorrow night to fish the speaker cables through the arch and mount the speakers....

Plan (hope) to finish this Sunday....

Past

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:09 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Finished this part of the project, sounds fantastic. Really happy. Now the bug to finish has hit....

Found some good info searching the forum for “vista subwoofer

This link had good info

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=705&start=0

I really Wish the pics were still on these old threads.

Down to deciding if I want To install a IB 10” JL Audio sub under the starboard seat, aft of the stock 61/2” location.

Or a sealed box., between this
http://www.jlaudio.com/fs110-w5-cg-wh-m ... tems-91954
And saving some money using one of these
http://www.zenclosures.com/Hertzlocker- ... hl10w0.htm
And using http://www.jlaudio.com/m10w5-sg-wh-mari ... vers-91736

Any one left that has done a sub in the 248/268 vistas?

Thank you, planning on launching in a couple weeks, getting close!

Past