www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:12 pm 
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to do a little audio upgrade on my H180ss and I need your advises.

- Could I use car speakers?
- Does someone has installed them in the open deck? What about if it's rainning?
- What do you think about Pyle or Boss?
- What is your favorite brand and why?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:04 pm 
email admin your custom rank

There are a host of features that make a true marine speaker better suited for boat, then a traditional car speaker.

stainless mounted hardware v's zinc plated
enclosure magnet v's open
synthetic or rubber spider compared to cotton/cloth based
continuous mid-bass cone, where as lot of car speaker still use a pole mounted tweeter with an air gap around the pole
Most everyone use composite cones, but still a few car speaker still use paper.
Most everyone uses a rubber surround, but a marine speaker is going to have more UV inhibitor.
Most of the higher quality marine speakers encapsulate the cross-over, car speaker is likely exposed.
Many marine speakers have done away with the old style push on terminal bridge and now use speaker lead pigtails that are sealed as they pass into the speaker basket.
Composite basket, not steel

Pyle and boss are truly at the bottom of the entry level.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:20 am 
Wow that's a really great explanation Wylie_Tunes ... thanks! I was thinking that it was a marketing strategies to upsell their speakers line :)!

So, what would be the mid range in terms of budget and brand? Around 100$ bucks for a pair of 6.5 inches? Which brands (or models) do you suggest?

I'm planning to only have 4 speakers installed : 2 x 6.5" (near back seat) + 2 x 5.25" (open deck)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:18 am 
Dolphin

In that price range, I'd recommend the Kicker KM604W or Polk DB652. As for the 5.25", if it were me, I would bore out the holes to fit 6.5" speakers. Adding an amp will really bring the speakers to life, and that can always be done later too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:02 am 

i agree with baddog, if you can, go up to a 6.5" if there is space around the speakers and depth.

In my world, mid-level is sub 200 range. Top tier 6.5 runs north of $300. My top 3, in no particular order, are The Kicker KM654, Wet Sounds 65ic series, JL MX650. These typically can be found within $25 p/pair of each other. This is where price, performance and sound quality intersect for a value based speaker. There are decent speakers for less and great speakers for more.

Im a huge fan of the Kicker marine products, but the KM604 doesnt lift my skirt. I suggest spending a little more for the KM654. The 604 is an OEM level speaker and has smaller .5 tweeter and its a hybrid, or "W" tweeter. The others have a larger .75 full dome tweeter. Much better sounding, especially at higher volume and power levels.

The new polk DB is heads above the previous DB651. Although polk touted the 651 as a marine speaker, it share many of the car speaker build features outlined above. It was far from a marine speaker. I have not gotten a live demo of the new DB, so I can not speak to how it sounds, but its better suited for a boat, then the old version.

Check out the Clarion 6.5 as well as the rockford prime series, although I prefer the punch series, the price is closer to your target.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:53 am 
Unfortunately, all models mentionned are a bit pricey (shipping rates + CAD conversion rates).

What about the JVC CS-DR6200M 6.5" or Kenwood KFC-1653MRB ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:00 am 
Shark

You should install marine speakers for sure. Kicker is a great brand of speaker. I myself have some Infinity's that I love.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:00 am 
Shark

You should install marine speakers for sure. Kicker is a great brand of speaker. I myself have some Infinity's that I love.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:05 am 
Dolphin

I've got to be honest, all the speakers that you're looking at are poor quality, and I doubt you'll notice much improvement over what you currently have. The reason you're upgrading is to get better sound, but I fear you'll spend the money and have little to no improvement. I understand you have to deal with high shipping and conversion rates, but these speakers won't sound good even if you amplify them. My advice is to save up and get better speakers next year. It sucks now, but you'll be thanking yourself later.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:02 am 
I know and you're right! A couple years ago, I've installed 4 x kickers KS65 with the oem head unit ... beleive me, it was a major improvement for the price! By you're reading ... I'll do the same and looking for a nice deal :)!

Last question ... what about wires? Without being a "purist", is there a real value (db, quality) to change them?

By the way ... I really like the chance to speak with "passionates"! Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:46 am 
Dolphin

Marine speaker wire uses tinned copper to cut down on corrosion. I don't know whether your boat was ran with tinned copper from the factory or not, or what gauge was used. In my opinion, it is more important to make good connections and seal them with heatshrink. If it were me, and I was going to run the speakers off the head unit, I'd probably keep the existing wiring. If I were putting in nice speakers with the intention of adding an amplifier, I would run new tinned wire in a little heavier gauge.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:27 am 

With the size of the boat and typical amp wattage to an in-boat, 16ga is just fine. Steer clear of cheap CCA wire. Tinned marine is great, but with proper terminations, nothing wrong with quality 100% OFC for a fresh water trailer boat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:07 pm 
I need your help again and may be it's because english it's not my primary language.

I've found 2 pairs of Polk DB+652 in my budget :D ! Here are my questions :

1) Actual holes in the cockpit are 5.5 inches. Polk suggest a cut out of 5 inches. Will it be a problem? Will I have issues with the screws?

2) I only have 7.5 inches (height) in the open deck. I'm trying to find out what's the total size (with grilles) of the DB+652.

"Grille height" ... is it the thickness of the grille?
"Mounting height" ... 0.47" ... is it meaning that the total size is 6.5 + (2 x 0.47") = 7.5 inches ?

Extract owners manual

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:59 pm 

Without knowing the diameter of the hole spread, its hard to if the existing 5.5 opening will be an issue. This may lead to a 2nd issue, although a cosmetic one. The old screw holes may be visible. Worst case, you can make a backing ring with a proper ID and larger OD to go behind the panel.

I dont come across many 6.5" speakers with an OD much greater then 7". 7-1/8 is on the larger side. So if you have 7.5" of clearance, you should be good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:33 am 
Tadpole

Hello!

The Kicker KM654 dont seem to be available anymore (or at least in Canada). What other Kicker marine speakers would you suggest?