www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:28 pm 
Sting Ray

My stereo no longer works and the one in my boat is not the factory model and does not support a wired remote. I am planning to spend about $300 to replace the stereo and the speakers.

Sony CDX-GT630UI http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/headunits/CDX-GT630UI
(Around $135 and it includes the USB Ipod connection without any additional adapters

Polk db651 Speakers http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/db651/
(You can get these for around $70-80 Pair)

Question:

I didn't have a chance to look at the speaker behind this panel:

How does the speaker mount? Do you use the grill? Will there be enough clearance for the db651 grill? I could go with the db651s slim model, but would rather not if I don't have to.

Thanks for any help. My boat is 1.5 hours away and I forgot to look at that speaker while I was up there replacing the instrument panel a couple weeks ago.

2007 Ford Expedition EL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:17 pm 
Clownfish

That look like the same setup as the rear speakers on my 1999 200 Horizon. If it is, the mesh cover has 4 or 5 bolts running through with nuts that have to be removed from behind. Once removed the speaker is attached to the panel with another 3 or 4 screws.

I had my done by an installer, the new 6 1/2" speakers (same size as originals) did not have the metal edge around them that held the speaker cone off the panel and allowed them vibrate freely as the originals. So instead of making the hole bigger he just mounded them and pinched the cone against the panel. Well needless to say they sounded like crap when you turned up the volume.

I found this out after taking everything apart to find the problem. After redoing it myself and cutting out the holes they sounded great. The covers that came with the speakers would not fit without modifing the upholstered panel above. Hope this helps.

Ross

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:12 pm 
Narwhal

I'd cut an "x" in the fabric, glue it down to the perimeter of the mounting hole, mount the speakers normally (from the outside) and use the regular speaker covers that come with the polk speakers - especially if you are matching up to polk speakers in the other locations.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:29 pm 
All Night Long

+1 for what Jim said.

Although, I would try to pull off that panel and see what you are working with behind it. You might find a way to install the speakers and use the panel. Either way - I would use the speaker grills just to protect the speakers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:09 pm 
268 Vista

Quote:
I would use the speaker grills just to protect the speakers.

The DB-651'S grills' do not afford much protection by the nature of their design.

If your mounting location is in a vulnerable area, you might want to consider some more protection for the speakers. Or an aftermarket grill cover .

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:21 pm 
Sting Ray

Jim_R wrote:
I'd cut an "x" in the fabric, glue it down to the perimeter of the mounting hole, mount the speakers normally (from the outside) and use the regular speaker covers that come with the polk speakers - especially if you are matching up to polk speakers in the other locations.
cougarcruiser wrote:
+1 for what Jim said.
Although, I would try to pull off that panel and see what you are working with behind it. You might find a way to install the speakers and use the panel. Either way - I would use the speaker grills just to protect the speakers.

I probably should have posted a wider shot, but the speaker can not come out beyond the fabric because the cushion lifts up for the access to the cooler storage underneath and it is also the backrest for people sitting there. It appeared to me that the speaker will mount behind the fabric and there may be as much as an inch of clearance between were it mounts and the fabric, but I may just have to wait until I can make another trip to the boat and take off the panel. I was hoping someone may have done it already and know how the speaker mounts behind it so I could go ahead and order the speakers. Thanks.

Wider picture:

2007 Ford Expedition EL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:35 pm 
Narwhal

AmericaRocks wrote:
I probably should have posted a wider shot, but the speaker can not come out beyond the fabric because the cushion lifts up for the access to the cooler storage underneath and it is also the backrest for people sitting there. It appeared to me that the speaker will mount behind the fabric and there may be as much as an inch of clearance between were it mounts and the fabric, but I may just have to wait until I can make another trip to the boat and take off the panel. I was hoping someone may have done it already and know how the speaker mounts behind it so I could go ahead and order the speakers. Thanks.

I think speaker depth and magnent size will be much different with the db651's. I have some old db650's laying about and they are quite a bit different than the clarion speakers that came stock in my boat. Measure twice, upgrade once!