www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:36 am 
email admin your custom rank

Hey Brent - I got the upgraded Four Winns stereo. It was one of the many incentives given because we purchased during the boat show. No doubt the wetsounds speakers are much better then the el cheapo Sony's, and the MTX sub bracket was a joke, I've since rebuilt the box, but the included amp I believe was the same as the one you installed.

I'd love to upgrade the speakers one day, but for now I'm actually quite happy with how it sounds. Maybe aguyfromdallas will "chime in" as he's heard it briefly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:47 am 
GIDDY UP

Yep same amp. Very cool!

Looks like 12ga. wires for power & ground though... :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:54 am 
Dolphin

What are you guys primarily listening to - radio, CD, iPod or Sirius?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:09 am 

95% Ipod
5% Sirius

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:16 am 

Anyone have a picture of the factory hold down bracket for the sub box? I need to make something up and just want to see what they used.

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:20 pm 
Starfish

did those speakers fit with no problems in the bow? I was just about to order the same setup minus the sub. I was not sure if the depth of the speakers would work

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:15 pm 
GIDDY UP

There's plenty of depth, just need bigger holes.

iPod 100% of the time.

Sat radio doesn't have enough sound output.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:30 pm 

Brent87LT1 wrote:
Did use staineless, they come with the speakers.
I don't have SL money so the tower speakers will have to wait...

LOL - I don't have SL money either, which is a major problem, since I bought an SL. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:33 pm 
Nauti Luv

I have heard the speakers aboard impulse. Those added rears do make for a more "full" sound when you are in the cockpit. Its something I may consider.

I was SOLD on doing exactly what Brent did with cutting in the sub on the port side. I just cant bring myself to that level of commitment though. Thats a huge hole if it doesnt work out just the way I want it. I have decided to go with boxes on each side of the cooler in the rear bench area.

My biggest problem is my own research vs. speaking with a lot of other people about what subs to buy and what amp to buy. Its one of those things that everybody has their own opinion. When I was a young punk, I couldnt afford JL Audio, so I "settled" for Kicker. I had Kicker subs and one of the first amps Kicker ever made. It worked very well, but that was in a car and also in a truck. Things get drastically different in a boat. I am not sold on the fact that I need Marine grade subs for the simple fact that I plan to put them under the bench in an area that is effectively dry, and out of the elements. Same thing for the amp(s). I am really confused on what I want.

What I know:

2 - 10" subs (thinking Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, JL and WetSounds)
1 - amp for subs (how big, model etc...considering JL, Alpine)
1 - amp for current bow and cockpit speakers. I have an Alpine I could install and would be sufficient, but I am kinda anal about matching amps. This is also one of the areas where I am not sure I want to do a 5-6 channel amp for the whole system, or 2 amps with seperate purposes.

Sorry for the hijack Brent. As always, it looks awesome.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:47 pm 

aguyindallas wrote:
I have heard the speakers aboard impulse. Those added rears do make for a more "full" sound when you are in the cockpit. Its something I may consider.

I was SOLD on doing exactly what Brent did with cutting in the sub on the port side. I just cant bring myself to that level of commitment though. Thats a huge hole if it doesnt work out just the way I want it. I have decided to go with boxes on each side of the cooler in the rear bench area.

My biggest problem is my own research vs. speaking with a lot of other people about what subs to buy and what amp to buy. Its one of those things that everybody has their own opinion. When I was a young punk, I couldnt afford JL Audio, so I "settled" for Kicker. I had Kicker subs and one of the first amps Kicker ever made. It worked very well, but that was in a car and also in a truck. Things get drastically different in a boat. I am not sold on the fact that I need Marine grade subs for the simple fact that I plan to put them under the bench in an area that is effectively dry, and out of the elements. Same thing for the amp(s). I am really confused on what I want.

What I know:

2 - 10" subs (thinking Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, JL and WetSounds)
1 - amp for subs (how big, model etc...considering JL, Alpine)
1 - amp for current bow and cockpit speakers. I have an Alpine I could install and would be sufficient, but I am kinda anal about matching amps. This is also one of the areas where I am not sure I want to do a 5-6 channel amp for the whole system, or 2 amps with seperate purposes.

Sorry for the hijack Brent. As always, it looks awesome.

The Kicker amp that Brent used I also used and it is a very nice unit for the money. IMO 1 10" is enough. Two amps and two subs means lots of power draw on your batteries.

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:37 am 
Goldfish

Superb fit out Brent, quite envious as I'd love a similar set up. In particular the port side sub is very tidy in that location with no enclosure fabrication required.

I would like to emulate but the H190 (which I have) looks to be a bit more tricky due to different internal design.

Bow speakers in the H190 could be upgraded easily in enlarged (if required) factory holes, no worries there.

In the front of the cabin however the factory speakers are fixed into a carpeted ply panel which runs across two bulk heads. This means the speakers are in free air (not enclosed) which will never produce good audio performance.

I have spent a few evenings using fibreglass to make mouldings of the area behind the ply panels with a view to fabricating custom speaker enclosures for each side. This looks somewhat quicker/easier on the DIY websites than in practice :!:

If anyone else has done any mods to the front speakers or sub installs on an H190 I'd be most interested in details and/or pictures.

Will post some pics of my efforts if they are worthy at the end of construction.