www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacement subwoofer?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:55 pm 
wkearney99

When I last checked the boat I noticed the subwoofer was blown. It was making the usual crackling sort of noise typical when the cone has failed.

The original setup is all Clarion gear. I'm not opposed to going that same route, but I'm open to alternatives if they're likely to at least last longer.

The subwoofer location in the 348 is 'exposed' enough that it tends to get sprayed by the hose when washing the cockpit. So it'd definitely have to be something intended for use in a wet/marine environment.

So, before I replace it with the same thing, does anyone have recommendations?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:07 pm 
All Night Long

Clarion replacement... roughly 80 bucks.

Upgrade to Kicker, Wetsounds, Polk, or Fosgate. Probably closer to 150-200

JL Audio - 200-250

Are you tied to white in color?

Are you wanting the same quality? Or are you looking to upgrade?

If the Clarion has lasted you 3-5 years while being exposed to the elements - that's not bad for a 80 buck sub.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:46 pm 
wkearney99

Oh I'm not complaining about the fact it crapped out. Things left out in the marine environment are going to fail, that's a given.

I think my priorities are a relatively complete cover, white overall appearance and reasonable price. It's a boat, I have no audiophile notions regarding fidelity. I could probably even live without the sub, as I don't usually have the bass level turned up all that much, if at all.

The sub is on the face of the starboard cockpit seating. This is the side facing out into the cockpit area. So someone sitting in that area has their calves just in front of it. This means that anything that goes there needs to have a relatively "closed" sort of cover. A sub with an open grate wouldn't work as the heel of someone's foot, a stray boat hook, mop or other pole would certainly puncture it.

I can't recall the exact model of Clarion subwoofer in there now but it does look more or less like this one:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:25 pm 
Nauti Luv

My first tip would be to go with JL Audio, but you really dont seem like the bass/sub is very important to you. With that in mind, go the less expensive route and just replace that Clarion.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:51 am 
Shark

http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=1_21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:37 am 
268 Vista

jwerner wrote:

Probably all nice subs, but all recommend/require a sealed enclosure. Not sure if Mr. K is looking for a sub in a box.

The Clarion would be fine, or I will suggest the Sony XSL100P5M, Secure grill to keep pokey objects out, and does not require a seperate box. Should install where the old one was, and sound good. $63 to $99, depending on where you look.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:46 am 
wkearney99

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
Probably all nice subs, but all recommend/require a sealed enclosure. Not sure if Mr. K is looking for a sub in a box. The Clarion would be fine, or I will suggest the Sony XSL100P5M, Secure grill to keep pokey objects out, and does not require a separate box. Should install where the old one was, and sound good. $63 to $99, depending on where you look.

Correct, I'm looking for a drop-in replacement. The existing sub does have a box, of sorts, behind it. The fiberglass into which it's mounted is part of a whole assembly for the starboard cockpit seating and it's enclosed, separate from the engine room below. I'm guessing it's not 'engineered' for it's acoustic values. But then I don't particularly care. When I pull the cover off (this week or next) I'll take some pix of the existing setup.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:55 am 
Narwhal

The stock sub enclosure FW fabricated from starboard. I understand that they are far from air tight, and do not provide the recommended cubic feet required for most subs. I wonder if vibration of the starboard isn't the issue. Have you removed the speaker cover and checked for resistance by slightly 'exercising' the cone? Either way, sealing that enclosure up with silicone or better would make for a noticeable improvement. Stuffing the enclosure with polyfill would help too. I too wouldn't recommend investing in a high end sub unless addressing the enclosure, or changing to an infinate baffle style sub.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:11 pm 
Shark

All ED subs are IB capable. Specs list sealed, vented, and IB. ED subs will have more xmax than the Clarion sub (15mm vs ~5-6mm) which is what you need in an IB setup.

I have a pair of 11kv.2 subs in my BMW in a IB setup taking 200w each and they sound fantastic get plenty loud. They aren't rated marine but have rubber surrounds and composite cones. I thought the silver cone would look somewhat stock too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:40 pm 
GIDDY UP

The ED stuff is nice. You can catch it on sale regularly. I used them to do replacements for some stock Monsoons in a WS6 T/A. Sounded great and were the correct dual voice coils for replacement. Heavy little rascals!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:51 pm 
268 Vista

Bill,
So what did you decide on ?

I see the Sea Ray guys did not help much. :wink:

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:02 pm 
wkearney99

Eh, no decision. Up to my ass in alligators with life's other responsibilities. I'll probably just get another clarion.