www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:16 pm 
Minnow

Hi everyone,

I ordered a Sony wired remote for my 183 Horizon. I was wanting to install it on the back
of the boat where it can be reached from the water. The instructions say to drill a 3 1/4 inch
hole to mount it but I'm kinda scared to do this. THATS A BIG HOLE if you know what I mean.
I have read other posts about starting hole saw in reverse so the gel coat does not crack
or flake. Kinda second guessing this now. How many of you have done something like this.
Am I worried about nothing. Do any of you have pics of your wired remote installs. I guess
I'm trying to work up the courage to drill a 3 inch hole in the back of my boat.

Thanks,
Tex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:10 pm 
Villiage Idiot

Agreed with going backwards first. Before that, I'd drill a small pilot hole (about 1/8"), just to be sure you are coming out where you want too... ie no fuel, electrical, water lines near by, and accesible for the required depth. Once you get the whole thing drilled out, campher (sp) the hole to relieve stress on the edges of the glass. This will reduce "chips", nd possibility of cracking later.

good luck!

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:17 pm 
Minnow

How do you champher the hole and what tool would you use to do so..
Should I use epoxy on edge of hole.

Thanks,
Tex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:08 pm 
Minnow

I just installed one this year on my 2002 245 sundowner. A piece of cake,make sure you go to the opposite side of the fueltank inlet,take masking tape and go over the spot atleast two times maybe three both up and down. Take a holesaw with a electric drill in reverse real slow and cut your hole,keep even pressure on it and take your time. I was extremely nervous also but it came out great. I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:24 pm 
Goldfish

I felt the same nervous feelings prior to using the holesaw to fit a Sony remote into the helm area of my H190. This area is quite crucial as any mistakes will stare you right in face everytime you go out!

However pleased to report that I got a great result with no issues.

I used blue painters masking tape overlapped across the area in question, and took a careful aim with a small pilot hole which was approx a 3-4mm twist drill.

The holesaw (which was in good shape) cut a beautiful clean hole with no burrs or broken gelcoat using a moderate speed and a steady firm hold.

I didn't use reverse but I have read about that method and people do seem to recommend.

Good luck and I'm sure you will be fine.