www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:01 pm 
Minnow

Hey all,

I've had my H220 for a couple months now, absolutely love it. (2009 model)
It's nice to find a forum of other Four Winns owners.

So, I've been reading everything I can about other Four Winns owners upgrading their audio systems. I have a couple questions to see if I'm on the right track with my upcoming install.

First I'll start by saying that I want to upgrade because the factory stereo just doesn't have the power for me to hear clearly at cruising speed. (Rock Music)

Here's what I have:
Sony DXHS70MW Head Unit (Factory) *Owners Manual*http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/158/158HS70MW.PDF
4 Sony XSMP1620W 6 1/2" 2 WAY Speakers (Factory)
2 Aerial Bullet Tower Cans w/ Polk Audio DB 651 Speakers
1 JL Audio M10IB5-SG-WH Subwoofer *Owners Manual*http://marine.jlaudio.com/pdfs/12699.pdf
1 JL Audio M6600 75 x 6 Channel [RMS] Amplifier *Installation Guide*http://www.marineaudio.com/documents/jlaudio_ig2008.pdf *Owners Manual*http://marine.jlaudio.com/pdfs/11043.pdf

Ok, so here's what I was going to do...
Move all the speakers off the head unit and onto the amp.
1. Install Amplifier on bow side of helm (if possible) - (I'd like to keep the amp on the head unit side)
2. All "in boat" speakers (4 Sony 6 1/2s) onto the front Pre Out (In Parallel) - Using Channels 1 and 2
3. Use the Rear/Sub Pre Out (Splitting with RCA Y Adapters onto the remaining channels.
4. The Tower speakers will be run off of Channels 3 and 4 (bridged)
5. The sub will be in a custom made box (probably under the bench storage, behind the helm captains seat) running off of Channels 5 and 6 (bridged)

More Info:
Dual batteries are not installed yet but are part of a dealer upgrade that has to happen still. (Will be a Deep Cycle battery)
If I'm missing anything else, just let me know and I'll edit this.

My question is simple...
After doing some serious "learnin on tha net" I've come to this plan above. Can anyone suggest doing things any different or ideas before I get started? (Especially those of you who have experience installing audio equipment).

King220
British Columbia

Last edited by King220 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:22 pm 
email admin your custom rank

If it were me, I'd leave the bow speakers unamplified.

Then I'd run CH1 & 2 brigdged to the cockpit speakers, CH3 & 4 bridged to the tower can speakers individually, and bridge 5 & 6 for the subwoofer.

This will give you a LOT more control over the sound levels from each speaker.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:10 pm 
GIDDY UP

I actually like your plan. I need my bow speakers amplified in the "raft up" because they are pointed in a direction that gets heard while hanging out on the sun pad & swim deck.

If you just need the sound for cruising speeds, Paul has the right idea.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:04 pm 
All Night Long

Hey King! Where do ya boat? I'm down in Seattle!

Your plan sounds solid... go for it! Doesn't mean you can change it later if you don't like it!

Double batteries are a must though....

Nice choice of equipment! Is there a JL 7.7 upgrade in the future plans to replace the stock Sony's? There's no comparison for that upgrade!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:46 pm 
Minnow

CougarCruiser Wrote:
"Hey King! Where do ya boat? I'm down in Seattle!"

Hey CougarCruiser, I have the boat in the water at Shuswap Lake (East of Kamloops).

"Is there a JL 7.7 upgrade in the future plans to replace the stock Sony's?"

You know I was just thinking about that today (at work) - I was pondering either that or Polk DB 651 or MMs (Not sure if I want to alter the "speaker holes" that exist from the factory).
What do others think about doing the work necessary to mount 7.7s in place of the stock 6.5 speakers?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:20 am 
GIDDY UP

I'll put my inevitable plug in here for the Wetsounds 6.5s. I would really like to hear a head-to-head comparison with these & the JL 7.7s.
After swapping my stockers for these, I could turn the amp gains up 50% and bring in twice the lows with the crossover and these speakers just keep producing sound! Now my amp overheats after 2 hours b/c "I'm givin her all she's got Captain!"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:40 am 
All Night Long

Brent87LT1 wrote:
I'll put my inevitable plug in here for the Wetsounds 6.5s. I would really like to hear a head-to-head comparison with these & the JL 7.7s.
After swapping my stockers for these, I could turn the amp gains up 50% and bring in twice the lows with the crossover and these speakers just keep producing sound! Now my amp overheats after 2 hours b/c "I'm givin her all she's got Captain!"

Hey Brent, where's a good place to get a pair of wetsounds? (Preferably not at $229 a pair because that's just about JL money). I couldn't find a decent website?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:12 pm 
GIDDY UP

Before Wetsounds started selling their stuff direct, I did a dealer search. Found one about 70 miles from me and gave them a call. It was pretty cool how the dealer handled things. He would take my order & have it drop shipped directly from Wetsounds in TX. He gives me a decent discount since all he does is take my card # and make a phone call. I will warn you, their products are laced with the cool aid. The customer support from the manufacturer is second to none.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:35 pm 
Minnow

Update (Deviating from the plan... a little)

I just picked up 2 new sets of Polk DB651 speakers. (Part wicked deal on Ebay and park itchy mouse trigger finger)

So I head out to the lake this week... I have a couple things planned, how much time I split doing audio upgrades and wake boarding is entirely up to the weather.

1) Install Sirius Sat Tuner and Connect. (Does anyone know if I will be able to run my Ipod after I install the Sirius gear)?

2) Mount the wake board racks (Not audio but crucial in my opinion... hard to move around on a boat with a couple boards in the way)

3) Build the sub box. I'll be going for a 1.5 c.ft. enclosure. I might be able to make it a little larger.. gotta really get down into the details when I measure this time.

4) Check into the dealership to see if they have the 2nd battery and switch yet. (Been waiting since we picked the boat up in July) :(
QUESTION: I'm assuming that the standard (or factory) mounting position for the 2nd battery is Portside opposite the main battery? Anyone know for sure?
I'm leaning towards running my power wire to the battery switch instead of all the way back to the 2nd battery. (Gotta make sure the Battery to switch AWG is large enough.

Oh... subsequently, I found a pretty awesome disconnect for wiring up tower speakers.
http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/203_324141/speakON_Lockable_Loudspeaker_Connector_group.aspx
I just bought these... Skylon tower harness uses these. I got the 8pin. They use 4 pin. (Yes, I do plan on adding a couple more tower speakers in the future). don't worry guys, it's a big lake! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:53 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Yes the second battery mounts on the opposite side so that you'll have one on the starboard side and one on the port side of the engine.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:18 am 
All Night Long

I looked into wiring the amp into the switch. I had the previous version of the 600 in my H240. It draws plenty of juice to run those 6 channels. Honestly, you are better off picking a single battery to wire it to and just use that. Besides, when the stereo battery runs dead, that means you still have the other battery to start the motor and start charging again!

I would be worried about that switch introducing electrical interference as well. Now sure how it would, but anytime you have terminal connections - it introduces opportunity for interference. The less 'breaks' in the line, the better.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:36 am 
Nauti Luv

FYI, my amp power IS connected to my Perko switch. The installer says he does all of his installs this way. You still have the same scenario...if you listen on battery 1 and run it dead, you still have the backup of switching to battery 2 (or all) to start the boat. Its no different than having it on only 1 battery. If anything, its a benefit in my opionion....here is why:

Lets say you have your amp power running direct to battery 1. You are out on the lake, stereo cranked and run it dead. No big deal...you switch to battery 2...you are not stranded, you are back in business and can motor along and charge (and of course charge when you get home too). The thing about THIS setup is you are always going way up and way down in battery voltage on the same battery. Not that big of a deal because marine batteries are designed to take this sort of abuse.

If you have it wired my way and simply alternate which battery you use on a per trip basis (or even less)....you share that abuse with each battery, virtually equally. Every other trip, when I am loading the boat, I just switch it from 1 to 2 or vice versa...works like a champ. I have never run either of them down enough where they couldnt start the boat and have listened to my stereo, cranked for extended periods of time.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:19 pm 
Minnow

Thanks a guy,

I'd really like to run the amp power cable to the switch. I'll at least try that first and see how it goes.
I'm wondering where you ran your Amp ground cable to?

What do you guys think about adding a battery monitor into the dual battery setup? I suppose it's not that necessary if you know you'll always have power on one of your batteries.

What type of battery is ideal for running power to your audio system?

Sorry for all the questions... Just really interested is all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:41 pm 
GIDDY UP

Deep cycles are designed for the use a stereo system requires. They will not, however, be any help cranking the engine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:58 pm 
Nauti Luv

My amp ground is run straight to the ground on battery 1, which of course grounds to the engine ground.

My boat came with a Group 27 Interstate Marine, dual purpose battery. When I added my second battery, I bought the same one.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4