www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:18 am 
email admin your custom rank

I searched in the forum and couldnt seem to find much relating to Vista's. I want to add a subwoofer when I install my new polk db's but I am kind of stuck on a location. At first thought of doing a free air set up under one of the seats, which is just storage now, so you would see the face of the sub and grill but the wiring would be under the seat so I could just lift the seat up and access the wiring. I thought that would also keep most of the wiring dry. But then I wondered whether the fiberglass would support the weight of a quality sub and not crack under vibration. I see many people put them in boxes, is that the best thing to do? I thought it would be a cleaner look if you saw the speaker and white grill and would look almost stock as opposed to a box hidden under the seat. what are your suggestions? Also, is there s specific brand/model of sub anyone prefers? I dont have a lot of money so I was hoping to keep it around $125 for the sub. I see alot of clarion, and Alpines that are around that dollar amount, and even saw this, KENWOOD P-WD250MRW 10" MARINE SUBWOOFER & AMP PACKAGE for $150, I dont need tons of bass just something nice to compliment the polk db's, any suggestions? there are plenty of cheaper no name ones but I would rather stay with a decent brand. Thanks in advance

Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?
Norm: Alright, but stop me at one...make that one-thirty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:48 am 
268 Vista

Good thread here.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=705&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

A little more Sub info here

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3113

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:05 am 
email admin your custom rank

exactly what I was looking for, not sure how I missed it. I am so excited to start working on the boat, the storage facility allows access starting next week! I will be doing an entire system replacement, head unit (pioneer), speakers (polk), sub (?), CD changer (pioneer), custom sirius unit and remote (pioneer). Will send pictures.

Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?
Norm: Alright, but stop me at one...make that one-thirty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:47 pm 
Shark

Google a program called WinISD pro. You can model a subwoofer response in a sealed, free air, ported, 5th order, etc etc. A boxed subwoofer is going to have more control over the woofer due to compression. The woofer will handle more power and can get louder. (efficency) Free Air can have the best sound quality if the front wave and rear wave are fully isolated. If done right, you don't hear the constraints of the box but just the woofer itself. However, this is the least sensitive design and multiple woofers are needed in most cases for loud (db) volume.

Also, deep bass <40hz, is a long wave that is difficult to hear in a boat you'll mostly feel it. So, your sound may be loud to surrounding boaters but not to you. I have two 6.5 woofers ported to 65hz in my boat and don't miss the deep bass of my infinite baffle subs in my BMW or large vented sonotube in my home theater. Its design is if for high efficiency in an outdoor environment where amplifier power needed to be kept to a minimum. These tiny woofers in a high efficient design are able to produce volumes above a very noisy motor/windy environment.

Go efficient, port high, model using WinISD.

my .02.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:41 pm 
Shark

I replaced everything last year and this what I came up with:
Sony HU with transom remote (mounted on the dash)
4 - Polk MM 6.5s
1 - Polk MM 10" sealed in .70 bx located under the aft bench seat
1 - Alpine PDX-5 amp birth sheet shows 107wtts x4;sub=412wttx1 (It pounds)
I am really impressed with the sound and efficiency of the amp. I wasn't lookin to rock the lake, just wanted to fire back at the ski boats with speaker towers. The hardest decision was whether to cut the fiberglass and mount or build a bx for the sub. I just figured the boat still looks great, why cut a hole if I don't have to. Later if I change my mind I can just take the box out. It fits nicely tucked under the aft bench seat, until you turn it up nobody knows it there.

Nashville, TN
Current
04 Hustler Cheetah
06 Seadoo sportster 150
Past
06 378 vista
328 vista
240 horizon
21' glastron
20' celebrity