www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:00 pm 
french 829

I am getting ready to purchase my new Amp and Sub to upgrade the stereo this spring. Searching on Amazon or Ebay, the best prices often seem to be from various resellers such as HookedOnTronics or ShipSound. I know enough to read the fine print to see if the item is refurbished, etc., but I am wondering if anyone has had any experiences (good or bad) with these types of vendors, or advice on who to trust, who to avoid, or things to look out for?

For example, I am looking at the Kicker MX700.5 Amp. Crutchfield (an authorized Kicker dealer) has it for $500+ (out of my price range by the way) and HookedOnTronics has it for about $200 less. It says it is brand new with 1-year warranty. Reviews of the vendor seem fair from what I can find on the internet, but I wonder if I am missing something?

2011 Nissan Armada Platnum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:25 pm 
All Night Long

There is a risk that purchasing from a non-authorized dealer will sacrifice any warranty support from the manufacturer.

Most manufacturers have a list of authorized dealers on their website.

It's buyer beware... you probably are getting a new, fresh unit -- just hope you don't have any warranty issues. The discount just needs to be worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:46 pm 
Nauti Luv

cougarcruiser wrote:
There is a risk that purchasing from a non-authorized dealer will sacrifice any warranty support from the manufacturer.

Most manufacturers have a list of authorized dealers on their website.

It's buyer beware... you probably are getting a new, fresh unit -- just hope you don't have any warranty issues. The discount just needs to be worth it.

All true information.

In my years, I have bought thousands in audio equipment....never had an item fail (unless I was beating the crap out of a subwoofer or something like that). Its probably safe, asssuming the discount is 25% off your best number elsewhere (or more of course).

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:16 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I bought my Kicker ZX700.5 off of Ebay new for around $300.00 I think and have yet to have a problem with it. Also like "aguyindallas" I have bought and sold more audio equipment than I can remember and have yet to ever have a problem with anything if wired correctly.

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:29 pm 
Villiage Idiot

The stereo for my last boat, and both of my last cars were purchased though Abes of Maine. Give them a try!
EDIT: OK, just looked, they don't have a whole lot for boat stereos.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:12 am 
GIDDY UP

French, you really don't need to spend the extra $ on the MX vs. ZX. It has a coated circuit board, but that doesn't justify the extra $100. Also, Kicker is very overpriced @ MSRP allowing retailers high profit margins. It's pretty good stuff though. check the sellers feedback (like usual) to see if people have had trouble with them. Also, don't be scared to save the $ on refurbs. Chances are, they have undergone more final testing than assembly line new ones. Mine was a refurb & shipped with the test sheet. 2 solid years out of it thus far. And @ $200, if it died today, I'd still be money ahead buying a second one.

Edit: I noticed they've gone up a little in the past 2 years. Here is a link to the seller I used: http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/5508857/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046?gclid=CKbHje3Z1qACFQ8eDQodJBiGvA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:15 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I have purchased all of my boat audio equipment from eBay. All used. Most of them come from companies who have quite a bit of stereo equipment for sale. They are not actual authorized resellers but they offer a guarentee against DOA equipement and usually a 1 year warranty. You just have to ask them who does the warranty work. Regardless I have never had a problem an most of the equipment hardly looks used. It is buyer beware but I am very happy with what I have gotten. When in doubt ask the seller a question about it's condition. Recently I bought a pioneer premeir head unit with the iPod cable, wireless remote , etc, for $45. Just take your time and watch a few auctions of items that you want and see how they end, I.e.price. Then look for the buyer to leave feedback and you should get a good idea.

Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?
Norm: Alright, but stop me at one...make that one-thirty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:35 am 
french 829

Thanks all for the advice and words of wisdom. I am feeling better about moving ahead with a purchase and you are all confirming what I was thinking. Seems like if I ask a few questions and use some common sense, for the most part, saving a little green is worth it and not a major risk. Thanks again!

2011 Nissan Armada Platnum