www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Info on Jensen msr-7007
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:01 am 
Clownfish

My stock Kenwood in the helm went tits up and I am looking for a replacement. I don't need anything that can be heard across the lake or in another state. I am just looking for a decent head unit that will last with decent features. My plan is to control it with an RF remote so I don't need wired remotes all over the boat. The RF remote will work from the water, anywhere in the cockpit and in the cuddy when I'm in for the night. I plan on keeping the two cockpit speakers and the two cuddy speakers as is, but want the ability to add an amp or subwoofer in the future if I need them.
Has anyone heard of Jensen's msr-7007? It seems to have all the features, is waterproof, and includes NOAA weather with alerts. I can also get the RF remote with it.
I am looking for feedback on this head unit and/or suggestions for any other that will fit my need.
Thanks in advance.
Joe

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:14 am 
Dolphin

I'm going to be upgrading as well. I have a stock Clarion (same class of head unit as Jensen in my opinion)in my 268 Vista and It's horrible. Get's distorted and can't hear a thing if I'm cruising at 20mph. I undertand that you don't want anything that will be heard for miles... but what you do want is something that will be crisp and clear and the levels you like to listen at. I would spend the extra $$ to get a Pioneer, Alpine, etc.... They will also last much longer than a Jensen.

my 2cents :|

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:46 am 
Clownfish

offdahook,

Thanks for your 2 cents. Have you done any looking into those other brand's models? What have you chosen for your upgrade?

Joe

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:05 am 
GIDDY UP

I've never been a fan of any Jensen gear. .02 You may want to plan on installing an amp regardless of the deck quality. None are really designed to power speakers at levels required to hear them while underway.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:56 am 
Dolphin

Brent87LT1 wrote:
I've never been a fan of any Jensen gear. .02 You may want to plan on installing an amp regardless of the deck quality. None are really designed to power speakers at levels required to hear them while underway.

I agree, I plan on adding an amp and likely a sub as well.

I haven't had the chance to start looking around at new head units. I may actually see if the current head unit I have has the ability to add an amp to it. If I can get away with just adding an amp, I may go that route. Once I choose, I'll post pics and let you know how it turned out.

Tom