www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:31 am 
Shark

Any recommendations for a good marine grade antenna?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:56 am 
Dolphin

Doesn't your Funship have a built-in antenna (big orange cable under the helm)? I don't know what it actually connects to - I've never traced it back - but reception has always been fine. On a related note, I'm on my 3rd head unit in 5 years. The first 2 were basic Sonys (not marine) and each lasted a couple seasons. I decided to try a "marine" unit this time so we'll see if it lasts longer. I also replaced the factory speakers with Polk Audo db651's - HUGE improvement and you can usually find them on sale somewhere online for around $60/pair. They will fit in the factory cutouts, but I had to drill new mounting holes on a couple.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:28 pm 
email admin your custom rank

my reception is horrible as well but I bought a new Shakespear TV antenna with a built in signal amplifier which also has a connection for AM/FM antenna as well with an adapter, I am going to try hooking it up this week and see how it works.

Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?
Norm: Alright, but stop me at one...make that one-thirty

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:20 pm 
Shark

flaMtneer wrote:
Doesn't your Funship have a built-in antenna (big orange cable under the helm)? I don't know what it actually connects to - I've never traced it back - but reception has always been fine. On a related note, I'm on my 3rd head unit in 5 years. The first 2 were basic Sonys (not marine) and each lasted a couple seasons. I decided to try a "marine" unit this time so we'll see if it lasts longer. I also replaced the factory speakers with Polk Audo db651's - HUGE improvement and you can usually find them on sale somewhere online for around $60/pair. They will fit in the factory cutouts, but I had to drill new mounting holes on a couple.

I had no idea about that antenna. I'll look for it. I have a new Sony marine head unit and 4 Polk db651s, so I'm ready to upgrade this thing. The existing head unit gets power, but there's no sound, so I don't know if the speakers are all bad or if the head unit is bad. Either way, they are all getting ripped out and thrown out. I also have to put a new splashguard on it, as the actual guard or door is torn off.

I hope the antenna is as you describe, because that will be one less thing to buy!

I also picked up a Cobra VHF radio and a 3' antenna from Cabelas. There is a $20 rebate on the Cobra, so it will wind up only costing 79 bucks! I can't wait to get it all set up. I'm then going to turn my eyes toward a Lowrance HD-5 GPS/Sounder, if I can bear to part with the money. (gulp!)

Still lots to do before I can get this thing in the water!

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:20 am 
Villiage Idiot

On mine, the antena wire is hooked up to the windshield frame (factory). I never had any issues but decided to add a jumper to the wakeboard tower this week, and will see if that helps improve range/reception.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:28 am 
email admin your custom rank

On mine, that laughable orange anrtenna wire was about 9 inches long and not connected to anything !

I extended it and connected it to the bowrail. Seems to work OK, but because of where I boat, it's happier picking up Irish stations rather than UK ones. Traffic updates telling me of jams in Dublin are not of much interest to me!

Graham