www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:50 pm 
Goldfish

Hello all,

I recently upgrade my head unit to the Sony M60UI. I would like to add a wired remote, but am stuck on how to run the cable from the helm to the unit.

I've seen some pictures of the same model boat with remotes located at the helm (I think powellcrazy's is exactly where i want mine).

Can someone give me some tips on how to run the cable?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:13 am 
All Night Long

You have 2 options... through the cabin or through the bilge.

How about some pics and we can try to help you out more?

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:48 am 
wkearney99

Most helm wiring takes a long route to get to the cabin. Down through the starboard gunwale, back to the engine compartment, across to the port side and then back up through the port gunwale. This is why they sell such long cables for stuff like the remotes and other navigation network stuff (like raymarine's seatalk). I'm guessing water intrusion is biggest reason to avoid going straight down into the cabin.

The hardest part of running such cables is there are some lengths that are longer than arms reach. A set of electrician's fiberglass poles helps here. They make it much easier to feed the wires along longer stretches. Just remember to securely anchor all the wiring. Otherwise the long-term, subtle rocking motion of the boat will cause the wiring to wear. Either by chafing the insulation or causing the wires inside it to fray and break.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:07 am 
Shark

A $10 electricians fish tape did the trick the last time I had to run a cable from the dash to the engine compartment. It helps to have a helper, one to push the tape and one to look for the other end. I also pulled some yellow poly line so I have a pull line for the next project.

Previous Boat:
97 278 Vista - Buoy Howdy

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:12 pm 
wkearney99

Buoy Howdy wrote:
A $10 electricians fish tape did the trick...

Yes, if you've got a space that doesn't have other obstructions. And the wire doesn't need to go into a specific place along the way. The poles let you point the rod right into correct spots. For me that meant being able to reach a 1/2" hole drilled into the cabin bulkhead from waaaaaaaaaay back behind the fuel tank in the engine room.

I mention using the poles to save some else the aggravation and lost time discovering what doesn't work.

I tried using the tape but it was way too flexible to line up where I needed it to go. However, the tape was perfect for pulling a line behind some cabinets where I didn't have enough room to feed in the poles.

No doubt some jobs can be done either way.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:43 pm 
Whatever

DontStopBelievin1 wrote:

Can someone give me some tips on how to run the cable?

Thanks,

The remote comes with a long cable, but not long enough to route from helm, to engine, and back up port side to cabin to head unit.

I routed the cable from the helm along the gunwale, forward, around the head, then tucked into the headliner over to the other side of the cabin, then down behind the cabinet to the rear of the head unit.

But when I ran cables for TV, I dropped headliner and should have routed between helm and head. Would have saved some cable......

Fairly easy project.