All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Speaker Deals
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:24 am 
268 Vista

If you are interested, some good prices on Amazon today, they will go up at
any time without notice. So grab em' if you need em'

Infinity 612M 6-1/2" Marine speakers. $74.43 pair

JBL MS6200 6-1/2" Marine speakers $ $71.97 pair

MB Quartz NKE116 6-1/2" Marine speakers $54.95 pair.

Polk DB651 Marine speakers $69.55 pair

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject: Re: Speaker Deals
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:54 am 
2007 200 Horiz

Would you consider the Polks to be the best out of this group? Or is it all up to personal pref as well as what you are trying to put together?

I am just going for new speakers instead of the clarion, powered by the head unit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:58 am 
268 Vista

It's a matter of preference really. You can't go wrong with any of them on that list.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:14 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Put the Polks in last weekend. Nice speaker and I couldn't believe the difference they made. Wish I had done it sooner.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:21 pm 
Tadpole

The Infinity 612M are on special at Amazon right now, 45% off with coupon code DJHMP3CL brings each pair under $60.

I already bought 4 pair of Polks, but figured someone else could take advantage of the deal.

The code works on the following JBL/Infinity products.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pe_69560_16 ... PDKIKX0DER

Currently shopping for the next great deal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:50 pm 
Shark

That's unreal! I just plugged the code in and the price with shipping was $53.44 out the door! Those are great speakers for $74.43, those are smokin' speakers for $53.44!!

2007 Silverado 1500 CrewCab 4x4

Previous:
2002 Four Winns H200
5.0GXI 270HP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:42 pm 
I snagged 4 of the Polks, anxious to see how they sound

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:00 pm 
wkearney99

scotchwater wrote:
That's unreal! I just plugged the code in and the price with shipping was $53.44 out the door! Those are great speakers for $74.43, those are smokin' speakers for $53.44!!

Damn straight, that's a deal. Got two of them for my crumbling arch speakers. I don't think I can use them on the lower arch position though. I've got a 2-year old onboard and would prefer speakers with the grate on them. We'll see how these look/sound.

I'm hoping the holes are actually 6.5". I meant to pull the Clarions and check the size/model#. But forgot to check while I was there this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:04 am 
268 Vista

I'm pretty sure the Clarion's are 6.5" speakers. If you got the 612M's they will fit the existing cutout.
As will most 6.5" speakers. You may have to drill a few holes to mount them.

I am very happy with the sound of the 612M's I put in our arch last week.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:00 am 
email admin your custom rank

You U.S of A guys sure get all the deals :cry: i don't even price this kind of stuff up here...

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:26 pm 
Seahorse

I tried the code, but I guess it is not valid any longer! I think I will get 2 pairs of these Infinity 612M down the road. I'll keep watching the price looking for the next special price break. I guess that's what happens if you snooze - you lose!

2012 Ford King Ranch V6 eco-boost-Tow Vehicle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:59 am 
268 Vista

Keep looking, they WILL be on sale again soon. It's worth the wait for the 612m's. I have gotten several compliments from
people on how sharp they look, and how good they sound .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:42 pm 
wkearney99

Finally got around to trying to install the speakers. No joy. Two reasons, one being that the Infinity's use FIVE screw holes, not the standard four that EVERYONE ELSE IN THE INDUSTRY uses. Grrr... Holes in fiberglass require pre-drilling and counter-sinking, neither of which bits I had with me. Secondly, the Clarions also drove a tweeter off each speaker. I'd have to leave them disconnected. Don't want to remove them as that would leave the holes. And the final reason for not using them is the lack of grille. They're just way too exposed and would no doubt get a pole or handle jammed through them sooner than later.

I think I can still return them to Amazon.

I'm considering some JL Audio speakers but it looks like they're a bit deeper than the Clarions. There's not a lot of clearance behind the speakers inside the arch. They might just barely fit, otherwise I'd have to add some sort of spacer rings.

Any other contenders worth considering? Any deals on same?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:14 pm 
268 Vista

So, you bought the Infinity's and did not read that the grills were attached? You also did not notice the grills do not completely cover the speakers? Seems like you could have found that out before purchase easy enough. So if you buy
some JL's will you buy component speakers like your Clarion's and replace the tweeter with a JL ? If not, what is your plan for the clarion installed tweeters?

If this can be done, here is my suggestion. Get some speakers with "poke proof" grills, that already have a tweeter built in , then remove the Clarion tweeters from the arch, and replace there grills where the holes are, thus hiding the hole in the arch. This will create a bass reflex port in your arch, that will increase the bass output of whatever speakers you choose in the already less than ideal arch enclosure. I did something similar with mine , and it was a major difference in sound.

I would suggest these or of course the JL's if you prefer
JBL MS6200 (4 mounting holes, and semi poke proof grills)
Infinity Kappa 602M " "
MB Quart NKF116 " "

I do not know your mounting depth restrictions, so some of these may be too deep. My arch is 3.27" deep, so all will fit.

Good Luck, and have fun with it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:12 pm 
wkearney99

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
So, you bought the Infinity's and did not read that the grills were attached? You also did not notice the grills do not completely cover the speakers? Seems like you could have found that out before purchase easy enough.

I could live with the relatively open aspect of the grille. At least up on the underside of the arch. Down on the sides would be a non-starter due to our 2 year old's poking fingers. But combine the grille with the non-standard drill holes and it's not worth the hassle for me. Live and learn.

Quote:
So if you buy some JL's will you buy component speakers like your Clarion's and replace the tweeter with a JL ? If not, what is your plan for the clarion installed tweeters?

I may just leave the clarion tweeters installed but disconnect them. Few other marine tweeters have the same angled pod setup. And I doubt any would have the same mounting holes. They look fine but two of them are shot.

Quote:
If this can be done, here is my suggestion. Get some speakers with "poke proof" grills, that already have a tweeter built in, then remove the Clarion tweeters from the arch, and replace there grills where the holes are, thus hiding the hole in the arch. This will create a bass reflex port in your arch, that will increase the bass output of whatever speakers you choose in the already less than ideal arch enclosure. I did something similar with mine , and it was a major difference in sound.

Two problems come to mind. The holes for the clarion tweeters are only large enough for the wire. They're mounted in pods, not as holes into the arch. The pod is screwed down on each end and then the wire runs though it. So it's two little holes for screws and a slightly larger one for the wires. No open port. The second problem would be moisture. I'm less than eager to open up the inside of the arch to a greater amount of sea air. As it stands now the arch is sealed well enough for there to be no signs of corrosion on any of the mounting bolts from stuff mounted on top. Versus seeing a fair bit of corrosion on similar fasteners in more open places (like the transom locker). Added bass fidelity is nice but not that important to me. If anything I'd rather have some more directed mid-range pointing at the helm so I could hear more of it when underway.

Quote:
I would suggest these or of course the JL's if you prefer JBL MS6200 (4 mounting holes, and semi poke proof grills) Infinity Kappa 602M, MB Quart NKF116. I do not know your mounting depth restrictions, so some of these may be too deep. My arch is 3.27" deep, so all will fit.

The JLs are listed as needing 3.5" depth. The Clarions are 2.5" and there's not a lot of extra depth there. I didn't have my tape measure handy. But there's also the problem of hardware up on the arch having bolts right above where the starboard arch speaker would go. The side arch locations are similarly rather shallow. You wouldn't think so to look at it, but it is. I may just plan on having to use spacers. Any suggestions on a source for some already in white?

Quote:
Good Luck, and have fun with it.

Eh, I don't need this kind of fun. I just wanted a drop-in replacement with at least a little better sound and durability. The Clarions are basically self-destructing garbage. I'll have to see what deals I can scrounge up for some JLs and possibly spacers.