www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:45 pm 
Shark

Ok guys... it's been a while since I shopped for any audio stuff. :) Help me replace the Sony stuff that came with my 03' FW's H220. The head unit is starting to wig out so it's time...

I don't need the latest and greatest... We don't play our stereo a ton but it's nice to flip it on now and then. I'm seeing units for around $150-$200ish? I see several are happy with the 6.5 Ininity 612's for my front 6.5's? I need to peak at the back speakers... I don't even know what's back there... but they don't sound the best either. :|
Would the current Sony head units just plug into the current wiring? Or do I need a kit... OR should I avoid Sony all together?
A few years back... ok, it's been 20 years since high school... I was the guys that tinkered on this stuff for buddies... now I don't have a clue as I'm content with the factory stuff in my cars/boats.... so I'm at your mercy for suggestions. :mrgreen:
Thanks guys!

btw... Amazon.com.. Crutchfield... or ??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:36 pm 
Sting Ray

Everyone's ears are different as well as taste in sound quality. I hate Sony garbage myself. To me everything sounds all muffled like you are wearing ear muffs, or ear plugs. I like to hear a nice crisp high.

For a head unit I would personally go with Alpine or Kenwood. Stay away from the bottom of the line stuff though. No company makes a good low end unit. For speakers my 3 favorite would have to be Infinity, MB Quart, or JBL in no particular order. There are many good quality names out there. Those just happen to be my favorite.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:47 pm 
Shark

In this day and age ( age of the iPod/iPhone) , there is only one unit I would be using.
Look at the Fusion head unit.

standard size unit, so it'll fit, I had the enlarge the dash hole for the remote, but that was no drama. I have full iPod connectivity - unlike that dreadful clarion thing. the iPod is safe and dry and charging

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:37 pm 
All Night Long

I'm a fan of Alpine... and of course - you can't do bad by the 'newer' Clarion. Some will say it's not that good, but I've run into more happy customers than haters. I should note that I am personally not a fan of Kenwood, but I've heard decent enough. their layouts and controls just haven't exceeded what Alpine offers in my opinion.

amps... alpine PDX are a marine favorite... draw low power, and produce a ton.

Speakers... ha... I'm biased to JL Audio, but have a full set of Polks in the 318 everywhere (couldn't beat the price).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:44 am 
Clownfish

If you have the wired remotes in the boat all ready, you might want to stick with the Sony so you don't have to replace them too. None of the head units are especially powerful (despite all the BS specs they all publish), you may want to find a nice amp to go with it and any of the quality brands will sound a lot better. I put a Kicker 4 channel amp (around $140, certainly not high end) temporarily and the difference even before I replaced the crap Sony speakers with MBQuarts was amazing.

I agree with Goostoff, the Sony speakers (or factory Clarions for that matter) IMO are total crap. You will get much clearer (not louder) sound from any of the Polk, Infinity, JL, MBQuart etc. I wouldn't go any smaller than 6.5's and if you have room for the 7.7's that's even better, especially if your not running a sub.

Weekends on Lake Norman

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:53 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I just did this in my boat. I got the Sony CDX m60UI. I took out the old POS and put this in. It fit the hole perfectly, and all the wires plugged in exactly. Plug in and turn on and all works great, including transom remote and satellite. I didn't even have to update the sirius account.

This unit is much better than stock. It works with the key off (there's a timer so you don't forget and kill the battery), it remembers presets, has cd player, and it controls the iPhone.

At the same time I installed an amp and subwoofer. Now the boat rocks in more ways than one!