www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:55 pm 
Tadpole

I recently upgraded the Clarion system in my 2006 Horizon 190 with a Sony Head Unit and Polk Audio DB651 Speakers. I also bought an extra set of DB651's to mount in the bow but need to drill the holes. I made a wood template to cut out the speakers with a Roto-Zip but looking for suggestions on how to evenly space them on both sides. Also, any tips on drilling the holes so they don't strip our or crack the gelcoat?

I also ran into a problem on the stern side where the seat hits the speaker grill when it hinges up. It looks like the factory installed the seat too close to the side because the port side is OK. It looks like the best option is to move the seat which means patching some holes. Anyone else have this problem?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:18 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Welcome!
I'm not sure about your spacing question ??? A measuring tape and grease pencil will help you layout the center. Your eyes are the best judge of whether or not something is even. Maybe make some round templates and fasten with double sided tape until they are where you want them? I think this is something you will have to play with until you are happy. We can give you all kinds of suggestions but in the end you are the one that has to live with the install
Before you set your template, make sure and cover the area with blue masking tape to prevent any scratching. Set your template and cut away. Make sure and have a shop vac handy and running so you can suck up all the fibreglass dust. Drill the screww hole slightly larger than the shank of the screw (not the threads or it won't grip) and make sure and chamfer the gelcoat slight to prevent cracking. I just use a larger drill bit and twist it by hand.

As far as filling existing holes, I have had good luck with epoxy putty. You mix a small amount and roll into a ball then smear into the hole, wipe smooth and then let harden. Make sure and wear rubber gloves to prevent sticking.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:53 pm 
Seahorse

Hey Chips any update on your install? Did you pass new speaker wires to the drivers side? How did you do it? Where and how did you put your amp?

I'm in the process of doing the same upgrade.

2007 H190 4.3 MPI
2010 Ford F150 FX4