www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:57 pm 
Shark

Time to replace the Kenwood radio on my '96 Horizon so I can also have a MP3 input.
The only thing I didn't like about the old unit was that everytime the master battery swithch is put to "off" the radio lost all the presets! Are there any units now available that do not have this problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:11 am 
230 Mike

The factory Clarion system in my '05 is still that way. You may have to resort to a mechanical pushbutton radio from a '64 Buick :).

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:54 am 
2007 200 Horiz

230 Mike wrote:
The factory Clarion system in my '05 is still that way. You may have to resort to a mechanical pushbutton radio from a '64 Buick :).

The Clarion in mine '07 has ben keeping everything that is loaded on it. And it sits most of the week off and the stations are still loaded come Saturday. So I don't know if they wired something differently or what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:26 am 
230 Mike

Are your batteries turned off during that time?

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:29 am 
2007 200 Horiz

230 Mike wrote:
Are your batteries turned off during that time?

If you mean the boat is off and the keys are out, Yes. But I do not have dual batteries or a switch to turn to the 'off' position, so I don't know if the the radio is pulling power. Would be something to check out to make sure, so we do go and try to start the boat with nothing.

Thanks Mike, you always know how to add more to my weekend list. At this rate I'll never get on the water :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:58 am 
email admin your custom rank

For the people who do have the dual battery switch, I have a few questions specific to FW. If you turn the battery switch to "off" does that disable everything, or just your ability to get accessory/ignition power when you turn the key? Just wondering if setting to "off" disables the automatic bilge pump? It wouldn't seem to make sense to ever turn the battery to "off" when docking/mooring and leaving it for any amount of time. Also, why turn the battery to "off" position if you are just leaving it on the trailer for the week and coming back 5 days later or the next weekend?

My view on these questions is that the very point of a dual battery switch is to have an extra battery to keep you from having a loss of electrical power issue. Just turn the battery switch to 2 instead of "off", park it for the week, and when you come back down turn it to 1 and start it.

The amount of drain that a head unit merely maintaining presets, or that an automatic bilge pump that is rarely operating (hopefully!!!), would put on your #2 battery is microscopic. If using this practice kills your #2 battery in a week or two's time, then you have a drain on your battery somewhere or a weak battery- both of which are problems that would not be repairable merely by turning the battery switch to "off." Eventually you're going to have a bigger problem on your hands to address if that is happening.

I had a dual battery switch on my old boat, and that is what we did. Never had a problem and after we'd get her started with battery 1, we'd flip the switch over to 2 while running just in case there had been more discharge than we anticipated. This is assuming that your batteries are good, are being fully/properly charged by your alternator, and that there are no other issues. Does anyone disagree with me on this one? Also, if anyone knows the answer to the automatic bilge pump question I'd like to hear it.

Everyone be good this week and next, so that we can use 5 of May as an excuse to get out on the water and have a good time (like we need an excuse?!). Keep your fingers crossed for me that my FW is delivered by then! :roll:

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:58 pm 
230 Mike

Yeah, just depends on your philosophy (imagery: The Thinker) and how you use your boat.

The usual Horizon wiring, at least the last few years, has been to wire the bilge pump directly to one of the batteries. If you look at your batteries, you'll probably see that one of them just has high-amperage cables connected to it and the other has those plus one or more smaller amperage connections. One of those should be your bilge pump. Other than the bilge pump, however, everything is normally shut off entirely if the battery switch is turned off.

MD, your radio is retaining its memories because you don't have a battery switch; power is never being completely shut off from your radio. When the time comes to disconnect your battery for whatever reason, your radio will lose its mind.

If you have a battery switch and don't want to lose your presets, just don't turn your batteries off. I almost never turn mine off because doing so makes it impossible to use the transom tilt/trim switch.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:18 am 

I installed the clarion aftermarket on my old sundowner. LOVED IT! Very easy to use and the AUX inputs are a must.

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN
http://blueoceanlife.worldventures.biz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:08 am 
Shark

I turn off the master switch because the bilge pump will cycle even if on the trailer with the bilge drained. Also I believe this prevents electrical problems (shorts, stray current, battery drain). There must be a "marine" radio that allows for this without losing the presets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:57 am 

The easiest way to do this would be run a seperate wire for the deck (Not for the switched power but the continuous power) and then no settings would be lost unless you disconnect the battery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:44 am 
Starfish

Any car stereo has a memory wire that is suppose to be run to continuous power just for that reason.

I thought the bilge was hooked parallel to both batteries before the master switch so it was always on? I guess it is different between boats and years?

Njlarry I don’t understand why your bilge would cycle. I thought it was just a float switch that turned it on when in “auto”? I’m new to boats so just trying to put it all together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:53 pm 

njlarry609 wrote:
I turn off the master switch because the bilge pump will cycle even if on the trailer with the bilge drained. Also I believe this prevents electrical problems (shorts, stray current, battery drain). There must be a "marine" radio that allows for this without losing the presets.

My new vista is the same way. I replaced the old Sony with a new sony and just used the factory wiring harness. I have the same problem. I need to run a memory wire to the battery to fix the problem. Why wouldn't Four Winns do this at the factory is WAY beyond me.

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:37 pm 

So, are you guys saying that FW's idea of an "automatic" bilge pump is one that just runs continually rather than being controlled by a float switch?

I'm not questioning your knowledge of your own boats, I'm questioning whether your automatic bilge pump is functioning properly. Sounds more like a stuck float switch, or that something is wrong with the setup.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:54 pm 
230 Mike

No bilge pump should run continuously, partially, or otherwise if the bilge is dry. If yours is, the problem is there, not with the radio, the batteries, the switch, etc.

I like knowing that if my batteries are turned off, there is absolutely nothing drawing current. These aren't cars, they're boats - built with the intention of sitting unused for months at a time each year. I can definitely see why some would want the 'always hot' to the radio, but I don't think it's a fair criticism of the manufacturer who can only build boats based on what's best for the majority of buyers.

Another consideration here - and this is only my own speculation - is that the 'not always hot' setup may be based on NMMC, ABYC, and/or USCG marine electrical recommendations or even requirements.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:33 am 

The bilge pump is wired directly to the battery, however it is on it's own float switch. It doesn't run all the time, however it has power to it all the time. This prevents your boat from sinking in a rain storm or a small leak when the battery selector is off. It's a safety thing.

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN