Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:28 pm 
Goldfish

Ok, so after 3 months of use, time to toss the sony. :x

I am looking at putting in:

1 - alpine CDA118M
1 - apline MC20 remote (separate zone for swim platform)
2 - JL 4 channel amps
1 - bazooka 250watt 10" sub
6 - Polk Audio MM651UM

I would like to also add 2 more speakers in the rear cockpit. Struggling with where to mount them. The back seating area is limited in space. I'll try to include a sample pict.

Any Suggestions? Maybe 2 by cooler if I can get a 6 1/2 or 5 1/4 speakers to fit?

Last edited by luvmysl242 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:00 pm 
Goldfish

OK... Went to dealer and measured. I think that I can squeeze 2 polk MM521's on either side of cooler about 2 inches off the deck. trying to balance / fill out the sound in the back part of the cockpit. I'll take some pics as I progress. I figure that I can only have 2 outcomes from this, a destroyed interior or awesome sounds in the boat. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:06 pm 
All Night Long

I'm not sure which 2 JL amps you are going with - but I'd go for the digital amps - or even the Alpine PDX line which are a bit cheaper and very nice amps.

For speakers...

Can't go wrong with Polks... no doubt there. But what about JL 7.7s if you are going to spend the money? the MMs aren't cheap. Might be incremental to go to the 7.7s which are undoubedly a better/louder speaker - but you pay for it.

I think you are fine with the 2 stock locations in the bow... the 2 stock locations on the platform firing back. If you could find a way to fit 4 more speakers in the main 'cabin' area - for a total of 8 -- that's the real deal.

Boats are very little about acoustics, and alot more about volume. As nice as 'symmetrical' is - I'd just put speakers wherever they will fit.

as for subs... 1 12'' would be nice if you have 8 coaxials. In a ported enclosure.

Just some other options to think about....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:52 am 
Goldfish

ok, finally got off the fence and ordered the equipment. Still nervous about putting 5 holes in my baby, but nopain, no gain.

here is the final order list:

1 - Alpine CDA 118M deck (dual zone)
1 - Alpine MC-20 (remote for swim platform zone)
1- Alpine PDX 4.100M
1 - Alpine PDX 5M
6 - Polk MM651UM
2- Polk DXI400 (on each side of cooler) (hope they fit!)
1 - Polk MM1040UM subwoofer
1 - Calrion CCA-USB (built into dash usb jack)
1 - Obcon Single 10" Truck Style subwoofer Box (.66cu ft)

I'll try to get some pict posted when done. Goal is to have in by end of May.

Last edited by luvmysl242 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:08 am 
Lake Michigan - Unsalted

Looks like a nice list of equipment. I'm looking forward to watching your install.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:19 am 
Goldfish

Just started on the install. factory speakers are replaced. There is no wonder why they sounded so bad. never seen these speakers before in all my research. Looking at the OEM speakers and all I can find on them is model CTS-602. they are 6" coaxial 2way. 150w max, 40w Nom.

Anybody know who makes them? I orginially thought Sony ( sorry Sony if I have been bad mouthing you to everyone I meet if they were not yours :roll: )

Hoping to have everything in by next week. Will post pics then.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:07 am 
Goldfish

Can't wait to see those pics. I need to do the same upgrade at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:33 pm 
Goldfish

Finally done!!!! WOW! what a difference. My wife even thinks it was worth it.

here we go:

first start out with overall diagram of what I did.

Next here is the subwoofer location. Notice that the sub enclosure fit perfectly under the passenger seat. Still allows for full movement of the seat from forward postion to back facing position.

I wanted to fill out the back cabin area with sound. the stock boat did not have any speakers back here and as you can see, do to the trim, I could not easily fit another set of speakers in the back.

So I ended up putting a pair of 4" polks next to the cooler. not very loud, but it fills the space with amazing sound.

My boat did not have swim platform speakers originally. so I added the a pair of Polk mm651um. They are set up on a separate zone. Tested this weekend by cranking up the swim platform for a tuber, they could hear it great and I had normal sound in the boat.

Swim platform:

I replaced the sony swim platform remote with the Alpine. It can control either zone.

Ok, now onto the replacement of the existing speakers. I replaced all 4 with the Polk mm651um's. Huge upgrade in sound.

Pics of the front bow speakers behind the stock speaker cloth. ( a couple of different angles)

Here is a pic of the speaker in the cockpit area with grille removed.

And here it is with the grille on

Powering the speakers, I installed a couple of Alpine Amps. I located them in front of the steering console, where I store the bow filler cushions. Plenty of room for both. They use the 2 stock amp fuse connections back by my battery switch.

The heart of the new system is my receiver. This head unit is Fantastic! allows for dual zones, very expandable, easy to navigate, and looks cool!

Since the receiver has a "true" ipod connection, I decided to add a built in usb socket (clarion accessory) in the cubby hole next to the stock Aux jack (hook that up to the head unit too) and 12v adaptor. Makes everything look like that it came from the factory configured that way.

Here is a pic from a different angle of the dash and cubby hole. Notice my ipod is connected and fits nice in the bin.

I hope that you find this helpful in your upgrades. I pained over the planning for this, worried that I would screw up my new baby. It paid off! This is the type of system that Four Winns should have installed in these boats from day 1.

Thinking of adding the phone bluetooth feature to the system next. Then again, I do not know if I want someone to disturb my music out on the water.

Last edited by luvmysl242 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:39 pm 
Nauti Luv

Looks great and I'm sure it sounds great. How do you like the Polk sub?

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:37 pm 
Shark

That looks great, I appreciate the diagram as well as the pictures. I'm going to upgrade to a couple Polk 615's on my swim platform and I'm toying with a couple tower speakers to move it up a notch. With the issue I'm having with the transom speaker switch by the remote, I'm wondering if I go with a remote like your alpine, do I even need it? Can you turn the swim platform speakers completely off from that? I also like the amp and sub locations, great job.

Wish I had the ability to install that system myself, I'll be asking lots of questions when I get going.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:41 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Very nicely done!

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:14 am 
Goldfish

askieffer wrote:
That looks great, I appreciate the diagram as well as the pictures. I'm going to upgrade to a couple Polk 615's on my swim platform and I'm toying with a couple tower speakers to move it up a notch. With the issue I'm having with the transom speaker switch by the remote, I'm wondering if I go with a remote like your alpine, do I even need it? Can you turn the swim platform speakers completely off from that? I also like the amp and sub locations, great job.

Wish I had the ability to install that system myself, I'll be asking lots of questions when I get going.

That is exactly the reason I went with this new Alpine unit. the MC20 remote combined with the 118m allows for complete zone separation. I can turn the swim speakers completely off, turn them up independent of the cabin, or combine the 2 zone and adjust volume on both together. Perfect for a swim platform.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:21 am 
Goldfish

aguyindallas wrote:
Looks great and I'm sure it sounds great. How do you like the Polk sub?

For my music taste, the polk sub is very nice. Very clean and tight. I also like the fact that this sub was a shallow mount, so I could use a narrow enclosure to fit it under the passenger seat. My only concern is that I am powering it with the 300w channel off my 5 channel amp. It can handle alot more power than that. I am going to try this before I shell out an extra $500 for a 600w amp. Early indications are that I am going to be pleased with the current sub arrangement and won't have to take that step.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:40 am 
Seahorse

Very impressive! I added an amp last summer and that didn't do much for those stock speakers...

Would you mind sharing where you bought the gear from? I may have to do a similar setup since the stock stereo is soooo weak at best. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:55 pm 
Goldfish

JCF204 wrote:
Very impressive! I added an amp last summer and that didn't do much for those stock speakers...

Would you mind sharing where you bought the gear from? I may have to do a similar setup since the stock stereo is soooo weak at best. 8)

ended up buying from http://www.sonicelectronix.com

also looked at http://www.woofersetc.com

both were about the same price on all of the gear at the time I ordered.