www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:13 pm 
Tadpole

Hello y'all

Long time reader first time poster!! I've just purchased a 2011 h200ss and i've opted to go with a two battery setup with switch. As in my previous boating experience just sitting their listening to music for hours near the shore is very important....

My question is that my dealer is saying that they will provide a different battery for the second battery... a deep cycle battery.... now to me that sounds weird. I didn't say much about it to the dealer at the time but i guess with a deep cycle you can drain it totally down and it will be fine when its charged up.... but you can't or shouldn't use this battery to start the motor as it wouldn't be able to. Now in my head it seems to make sense to have the exact same battery as the original one... that way you know they are exact and you can decide which one your gonna use for stereo and motor and swap them every time your out. That way they are both capable of running the stereo and motor....

Now the original battery that comes in this boat if i were to drain it with a stereo would it be hurting the battery? Hence the reason for the deep cycle suggested by the dealer!! Any help would be awesone guys!!

thanks in advance

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:51 am 
email admin your custom rank

I use just marine deep cycle bats. They start my two big blocks no problem whatsoever.

03 Stingray 3.0
88 261 Liberator 460 King Cobras
95 Bayliner 1850 3.0
77 Fiber Form 20ft 350/385hp
70 Wescraft 1800 SS 455 Jet

Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the Way!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:38 am 

To me, there is no right or wrong in this. You just need to understand how these batteries work!! As the other boater stated, he uses a deep cycle. Not uncommon.

A stating battery, will put out more amps at one given time. But will last a shorter period, say using your radio/frig at your mooring.

A deep cycle, is just the opposite!!! That is why your dealer mentioned it to you.

What you DON'T want to do, is MIX flooded with AGM type batteries (more so with a gel-cell). There charge rates/voltages are deferent.

The AMG type, for me, is the way to go. Pound for pound, it will put out more amps in starting and last longer than a deep cylce. Also, they last about 4 to 6 years. The one I bought, has a 4 year replacement / 100 month prorated warranty. BUT at a price, about $180-$200.00

OHHH, the other reason I went with AGM, or at lest the brand that I did. You don't need to remove them for winter storage. They can go down to -50, no water to freeze. Pulse, a trickle charger is not needed for winter storage.

Last edited by Paul I. on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:02 am 
268 Vista

Get two Deep Cycle batteries. If maintained properly, you will get 3 to 5 years out of them easily. And at half the cost of those overpriced AGM batteries.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:02 am 
Tadpole

Thanks for the quick replies!! i will contact my dealer and make a decision on it

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:02 pm 

cap desantis wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies!! i will contact my dealer and make a decision on it

I would also install a battery combiner. This will keep both batteries charged, no matter how your switch is set!!!
It takes about 5 min. to install, a 3 wire hook up. Cost about $60.00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:31 pm 
Tadpole

mmm a battery combiner? i should google it and see what it looks like and ask the dealer if he sells it and knows how to install one. i'm sure I can figure it out but I should at least ask to see if he can do it for free!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:43 pm 

cap desantis wrote:
mmm a battery combiner? i should google it and see what it looks like and ask the dealer if he sells it and knows how to install one. i'm sure I can figure it out but I should at least ask to see if he can do it for free!!

Here, check out this site http://www.yandina.com/c100InfoR3.htm