www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wake Tower speaker wire
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:55 am 
Seahorse

Hi Guys

Here's a brief description of my system. I'm in the process of installing a completely new sound system in my 2007 H190. I just love this boat, does every thing I want it to. Last week my friend and I did the first test of the system minus the wake tower speakers and it just rocks. The Alpine radio sounds great and is loaded with feature that I was looking for like dual zone speaker, wireless helm remote control and a wireless radio frequency water proof key chaine remote control. The Exile speakers are just awesome speakers for the price, you do get what you pay for. I do highly recommend them for the sound quality and they have a great look. The 8 inch Kicker subs pack a big punch for there size, I'm impressed. The Exile wake tower speakers have a great design, they can be removed in like 5 seconds and have a 360 degree turning radius, great feature IMO.

Alpine CDA118M Radio
Alpine MC20 Wireless Remote Control
Alpine RUE-M1RF key chain Wireless remote
Crunch GPV1600.4 (4 x 200 Watts RMS at 2 Ohms)
Crunch GPV1000.2 (1 x 500 Watts RMS at 4 Ohms Bridged)
4 Exile SX65c speakers (4 x 100 Watts RMS)
2 Exile SXT65q tower speakers (2 x 125 Watts RMS)
2 Kicker S8C4 Solo Classic 8" subs with grills (2 x 300 Watts RMS)
dual batteries with Perko switch

Now for my question. I see that Founwinns have drilled on the helm side through the wake tower bracket and tower tube to pass the electrical wires for the navigation light on my tower. I will probably do the same for the port side for the speaker wires. Now I need some tips on how to pass the speaker wires in my wake tower?

Thanks

Denis

2007 H190 4.3 MPI
2010 Ford F150 FX4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:30 pm 
Seahorse

fish tape! http://cableorganizer.com/fish-tapes/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:50 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Can't help you on wiring, I had mine professionally installed spring of 2010 but I will say the Exile tower speakers powered by my Exile 600 watt amp are fantastic. You do get what you pay for. I put in WetSounds cockpit speakers their great sounding too but didn't replace the Clarion subwoofer or the Clarion head unit. I already had the dual batteries. Just wondering if you can tell how much difference the Alpine head unit and kicker subwoofers make?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:16 am 
Seahorse

240 Joe wrote:
Can't help you on wiring, I had mine professionally installed spring of 2010 but I will say the Exile tower speakers powered by my Exile 600 watt amp are fantastic. You do get what you pay for. I put in WetSounds cockpit speakers their great sounding too but didn't replace the Clarion subwoofer or the Clarion head unit. I already had the dual batteries. Just wondering if you can tell how much difference the Alpine head unit and kicker subwoofers make?

@ tonythu - Thanks I will get one... I hadn't thought of that.

@ 240 Joe - There is a little difference in sound quality but not worth replacing the unit just for that. I put in the Alpine head unit for the iPod integration, wireless remotes and ease of use... I also like the dual zone for the speakers so I will connect my wake tower speakers on zone 2 and I will be able to blast the sound for the wake boarder while keeping the boat speaker at a low setting. Also the Alpine head unit has so many add-ons that I will be able to expand way beyond my old clarion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4vJA-zDfGI).

My H190 only had 2 cockpit cheapo speakers and no sub, I could only hear distortion when at top speed. It was so unpleasant to the ear that I just never turned the music on, what a shame. Now I can't wait to go out on the lake. I'm limited to 8" subs in my boat so you can imagine that my choices are limited, most other sub brands were between 150 and 200 watts so when I saw Kicker had a 300 watt 8" I had to get it, they even have a 450 watt RMS 8" square sub. I chose Kicker because they are the best I could find at a reasonable price. I only have 10" high under the back bench so I had no room for 2 10" let alone sub box.

I do love WetSounds they were my first choice but couldn't get them in Canada at a reasonable price, double what Exile is and from what I read Exile is as good as WetSounds for sound quality and performance.

Now I'm not bashing other brands or trying to be a show off, I'm just very happy with my selections and wanted to share my setup with you guys and hope it might help another Fourwinns owner. Once everything is connected and dialled in I will post a vid on YouTube and post the link here.

2007 H190 4.3 MPI
2010 Ford F150 FX4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:11 pm 

Old Fart:
I contacted my installer and he agreed with you about replacing the Clarion Head Unit. As long as the source signal, i.e. head-unit or MP3 player is clean and strong, a quality amp and speaker will have more to do with what you hear than the source.

The Clarion is an excellent head-unit in regards to quality sound. I neglected to tell you that I installed a WetSounds WS-420 equalizer which is a line driver, so it is boosting the source signal before it gets to the amps. The WS-420 is also giving me 2-zone control as well sub control. So I can blast the tower speakers and keep the sound low on the cockpit speakers just like you using your Alpine head unit. According to Mike at Mikes Liquid Audio the Alpine wireless remotes are not completely wireless. They still require a B+ and ground to be run to them. My boat has a Clarion remote but it would have to be replaced if I went with another brand of head unit as it only works with the Clarion head unit. You do have a wireless remote you can use while in the water; I must climb part way up the swim platform to use the remote on the transom.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:52 am 
Seahorse

Sweet 240 Joe.

I agree that Clarion is an excellent head-unit, the one that came with my boat was only 1DIN in size so the buttons and lcd display were quite small compared to the 1.8DIN Alpine and its more user friendly. I also agree that my helm remote needs power fed to it but thats it and the key chain remotes can be used up to 100 feet from the boat so I plan on sitting on the beach, drinking a cold beer and playing some tunes without getting up... lol Wow WS-420, now thats one sweet EQ, you can't beat wetsound man, the sound quality must be flipping awesome... do you have pics of your setup? Now don't get me wrong Exile it top of the line, they sound crystal clear with great bass even with the volume maxed out. Now if I could just find an O-scope to fine tune my amps I would be very happy, I guess my plan B will be a multi volt meter.

2007 H190 4.3 MPI
2010 Ford F150 FX4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:37 pm 

Hey Old Fart:
Just got the April 2011 issue of Trailer Boats on upgrading the audio system. It has your Alpine CDA118M Radio- it's the top of the line in Alpine. And the Exile Tower speakers XM7 are pictured.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:44 pm 

Now for my question. I see that Founwinns have drilled on the helm side through the wake tower bracket and tower tube to pass the electrical wires for the navigation light on my tower. I will probably do the same for the port side for the speaker wires. Now I need some tips on how to pass the speaker wires in my wake tower?

Thanks

Denis[/quote]

The fish tape "maybe" to thick to pass though the hole. For me it was, I took a string and tied a small bolt to the end of it as wight. Sent it down the tube of the tower and let it hit bottom. I used a paper clip, opened it up and left a 1/4" hook in it. I hooked the string and pulled it though the hole. If the hole is big enough, the fish tape/snake is great.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:17 am 
Seahorse

@ 240 Joe:

I need to get that trailer boat magasine, yes it is the top of the Alpine line up and worth it IMO. I didn't get the Exile XM7 its a HLCD Horn rated at 250 watts RMS each and to expensive for me. I got the Exile SXT65q its a coaxial rated at 125 watts RMS each and close to half the price but half the power. Its gonna be loud enough for us, we aren't on the wake board 24/7. If I find its not loud enough I can add another pair of SXT65q on my tower, my amp will be at its max and so will my wife's tolerance level with my audio project... :(

@ Paul I.:

I started by folding down my tower to the front of the boat and securing it so it wouldn't move. Then removed the large wake board tube that bolts to the boat and drilled holes throught the hull and brackets in the same location as the drivers side. Before bolting it back together I passed the speaker wire through it. I used a single strand sheilded electrical coper wire and fished it from the top to the bottom of the main tube. Then taped the speaker wire to it and pulled it up and out the top holes I drilled. It took about 1.5 hours. 8)

The last thing I need to do is a custom sub box. I have it all sketched up on my computer I just need to get the lumber and build it. I used BassBox software and the sub manual to figure out the needed parameters. Once my project is finished I will post pics so stay tuned guys.

2007 H190 4.3 MPI
2010 Ford F150 FX4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:34 pm 

I got some bad news last week. My 5 year old original Clarion amp has malfunctioned; it's shot, needs replacing. I have sound coming from the Exile tower speakers because those 2 speakers have their own (600 watt Exile) amp.

I am also considering putting 2 more Wet Sound speakers on the back of the boat (as is shown on the 2011 H 240) for a total of 6 cockpit speakers. My installer has recommended the following 2 scenarios:

The Kicker ZXM700.5 5 channel amp is a larger amp designed specifically to power 4 to 6 in-boat speakers and a subwoofer. Due to its higher current draw as compared to the current Clarion, it would require new power wire and circuit protection. This amp is the ideal way to go if you feel that you will be adding two more in-boat speakers in the near future. With this amp, there will be no need to add addition equipment in order to accommodate the additional speakers. This is essentially 2 amps in one chassis.

The Kicker ZXM350.4 will be a direct swap out in terms of power, size and current draw as the Clarion amp. If you go with the ZXM350.4 as a direct replacement for now, then add the additional speakers later, then all that would need to be done is to install a small mono channel amp to power the current sub, as the new speaker would need to use the 2 channels that the subwoofer is occupying now.

I will do one or the other. My dealer dropped Four Winns so I am not sure I can get the new replacement parts from him. Next closest FW dealer is about 3 hours drive.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:44 am 

@ Paul I.:

I started by folding down my tower to the front of the boat and securing it so it wouldn't move. Then removed the large wake board tube that bolts to the boat and drilled holes thought the hull and brackets in the same location as the drivers side. Before bolting it back together I passed the speaker wire through it. I used a single strand sheilded electrical coper wire and fished it from the top to the bottom of the main tube. Then taped the speaker wire to it and pulled it up and out the top holes I drilled. It took about 1.5 hours.

Am I surprised at 1.5 hours, no. At times you run the wire in minuets, at times it just one big pain in the bum&^%$#. But you did it!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:31 am 
Seahorse

Well I did take my time figuring out where to drill the hole in the hull and inside support plate (you just have one chance to get that right...) Once that was done it went quite smoothly.

@ 240 Joe

Wow a dead amp that sux... Either amp will be good they are very close in RMS per channel. I choose to go the 2 amp route because if one fails then I just need to replace one amp. For me the physical size of the 5 channel amp was limiting where I could place it in the boat. Another thing was that if I choose to add more subs (larger, more powerfull) then I can upgrade the amp that powers my subs... It just gives me more flexibility and options, but thats just my opinion. What really matters is enjoying music on your boat my friend.

2007 H190 4.3 MPI
2010 Ford F150 FX4