www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:28 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Mike, maybe I should keep quite!!!

But your Sony head looks just like mine, when I get home I can look at the model#. But I went to the Sony site, your head has the bus/commander & small remote connectors. It will work just fine!!!! I went with the RM X60M/L because it has a display & it was about $20.00 more at the time.

If you need help in wiring it, just ask. I will be more than happy to giude you.

You do have the connectors on your head to support the MRC2, RM-X2S & RM X60M/L. (& more)
Go to http://www.docs.sony.com/release/CDXGT700HD_install.pdf
Lower right hand conner of the head unit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:06 pm 
268 Vista

Paul I. wrote:
Mike, maybe I should keep quite!!!

You do have the connectors on your head to support the MRC2, RM-X2S & RM X60M/L. (& more)
Go to http://www.docs.sony.com/release/CDXGT700HD_install.pdf
Lower right hand conner of the head unit.

If you mean #3 (Remote In*3) in the lower right corner of the HU, it says "To AMP REMOTE IN of an optional power amp. The connection is only for amplifiers. Any other system may damage the unit.

Maybe I have my lower right mixed up :?: :?:

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:34 pm 

Paul I.,

From my point of view you're welcomed to post what you feel are helpfull postings regarding this thread. Can you show me where you found the information to say that "You do have the connectors on your head to support the MRC2, RM-X2S & RM X60M/L. (& more)" for the Sony CDX-GT700HD head unit?

Thanks,
Mike.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:03 pm 

I can see were Mr. Morgan is coming from!!!! But the Doc is not clear on the topic!!!!

I have the CDX-GT740UI http://www.docs.sony.com/release/CDXGT7 ... _EN_FR.pdf If you trace back that small wire from your remote, you will see that it goes back to that 3A connector on the back of the Sony head!! I have the RMX55 & 60 http://www.docs.sony.com/release/RMX55M.pdf Look at this PDF, note the small connector, that is the one in question!!! It looks like a headphone jack, they used the same connector. Note the Y adapter for the bus.

I had the same remote as in your pic with the RMX55 at the transom. So I used the same small wire, added the Y connector for the bus and connected it to the new remote!!!

I have done this, trace that small connector, if you have more than one remote, it will go to a Y, than plug into that 3a port!! There is no other port on the back of that head that can take that type of connector!! You can see this in the PDF of the head unit.

Last edited by Paul I. on Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:32 am 

I just found this on the RMX11 http://www.docs.sony.com/release/RMX11M_EN_ES_FR.pdf

Note how it is wired, the bus wire is missing. Also, it has a 12v leads and has that same headphone type connector.

NOT the same model as yours http://www.docs.sony.com/release/CDXHS7 ... _guide.pdf Note how and were the remote connectors go. Now on the PDF, go to "Connection Diagram" Note what is states for port 3!!! Now tell me, something is not wrong here!!!

Again, there docs between models are not that great!!! When you call them & say "marine", most of them are lost. I hooked up the HD Radio add on, I had questions on this and they were lost. Called back, left "marine" out, and made some headway!! pun intended.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:44 am 
268 Vista

Mike. I did some research, and I'm 90% sure that this particular Sony model will work with your current remote control. $133.00 at Amazon. CDX-M60UI
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... ifications

I think the confusion comes in that the unit you are considering is car audio, and there is some "terminology disconnect" between that and the marine ready units. The marine ready units all have a jack for connecting a wired remote, whereas the car audio units don't really need one, except when connecting to steering wheel controls.

My suggestion, for what it is worth. If you want the CDXGT700HD, then I would buy it at Best Buy , then take it to your boat and hook it up. It's plug and play as far as wiring harness goes with your old unit. Connect your helm wired remote cable, and see if it operates. If it does not, then just take it back to BB for a full refund. That way, you will not be out any money if it does not work.
If it does not work, possibly look at the Sony marine units, which are compatible with wired remotes.

Okay..... I'm done.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:01 am 

With all the factory installed Sony head units installed in Four Winns boats out there I hope the excellent information that the above posters have provided above will help as fellow boaters move towards updating their aging stereos. Thanks.

Its interesting for me when Four Winns factory installed my Sony CDXC5005 (non marine) head unit in our 2001 328 that at that time they also installed two wired remotes (helm and swim platform) and the wired remotes were obviously compatible at that time.

I think Sony has an obligation to advise which of their Sony wired remotes are compatible with their Sony head units especially when in the case of the CDX-GT700HD it does say in the specifications that "Remote Jack : Optional wired remote input terminal"

I'm not stuck on this unit, just felt it offers the features we want and would look great in its black finish in the factory mounted location.

I will push Sony for an answer early next week and provide feedback here.

Mike

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:58 pm 

Mike,
If I am taking your post right?? You will be able to use the 2 stock remotes with your new deck!!! I am 99.9% sure!!! Yes, Four Winns should have used marine decks!!! On the other hand, car decks are NOT uncommon in boats, more so as replacements.

Let me know if you need advise in the change over

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:16 pm 

Sony called back today advising that the RM-X11M and RM-X60ML wired remotes will work with the CDXGT700HD Sony head unit. They further stated to me via email that "the main wired remotes that we have for marine and car audio are the RM-X11M and RM-X60ML."

After googling both these remotes I see the cut out diameter for the RM-X11M is 2" and the cut out diameter for the RM-X60ML is 3.25".

After some brief google searches I can't find the cut out diameter for my existing helm wired remote yet? Hopefully one of these two new Sony recommended wired remotes will replace my existing one without me needing to cut into my helm.

Do one of you guys happen to know the cut out for the MRC2 wired remote as pictured at the beginning of this thread?

Thanks,
Mike.

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:57 pm 
268 Vista

Too bad the Aceess Tech website seems to be gone. Several years ago I looked up all the info you are currently
looking for, and it was there. Even a compatibility chart with Pioneer and Sony head units, plus install diagrams.

You might try Pac Acc. Corp, who sold the MRC-2 and see if they have some more specs you need.
Pacific Accessory Corporation - 1502 S. Santa Fe Street, Santa Ana, CA 92705
techsupport@pac-audio.com • Voice: 714-835-3022 • Fax: 714-835-3233 • http://www.pac-audio.com

Here is the flush mount kit for the MRC-2, and I would suspect that the holes that are cut in your dash are of similar size.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:03 pm 

You're a good man Cap'n.......

I'll give Pacific Accessory Corporation a call as suggested.

Thanks,
Mike.

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:04 pm 
268 Vista

You are welcome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope that IT helps !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:56 pm 

Uh oh, your computer keyboard exclamation key must of got sticky too? Hmmm, wonder how that happened?????????????

Mike.

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:30 pm 

Ok, after a couple calls and an email to Pacific Accessory Corporation I have not been able to get the cut out hole size for my factory helm wired remote.

But knowing that the dimensions of the wired remote are Length: 4.000" Width: 2.250" Height: 0.625" Weight: 3 OZ and looking at the mounting hardware that Cap'n posted above I think I would be safe to assume my factory cut out hole would have to be closer to 2" as opposed to 3.25 inches.

If I am correct the better choice for me to try and match the existing hole size would be the RM-X11M wired remote.

Any comments? I'm thinking of moving on and ordering the new head unit and wired remote.

Mike

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:58 pm 
268 Vista

Well, you know I will have a comment or two. :wink:

I think what you really should do, is try and get the remote that will cover the existing holes from the MRC-2 and
not even worry about matching up hole size. Drilling a bigger hole is always easier than trying to make it smaller. :mrgreen:

As I see it, your MRC2 is 4" wide, so my thought would be to go with the biggest remote RMX 60-ML because it is 4" in
diameter, and will cover any holes that are in the dash now, or that you might have to enlarge when installing. In addition, the
RMX 60-ML has the blue LCD display so you can see some information on the display, something I wish my Gemini remote had.