www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:36 pm 
Seahorse

Thought some here might be interested in this app. I use it all the time on the boat.

http://www.subsonic.org

Basically, it runs a program on your home PC and catalogs all your music. It then accepts connections from a browser if you're at another computer or from a phone. I run it on a Motorola Droid. It lets you stream any music from your home PC to your phone or through the web.

I've got 150 gigs of music on my PC so it isn't possible to take it all with me on a stored device like an ipod. The other nice thing is that I carry my phone with my anyway so it's one less thing to lose or break not having to bring an ipod.

Of course you do need a cell connection to be able to use it but all the lakes in my area have great coverage.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:45 am 
email admin your custom rank

That is a great!! I have just as much music and my problem is that I use a two 4 gig thumb drives and swap out the songs from time to time. So I am thinking of getting bigger drives, one of my problem is that I convert my CDs/waves into lossless or more so MP3s at 320 bit rate. For the boat/car I bring it down to 160.

If your into music, I have 3 of these though the house and love it. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/439/881
They do make newer ones now, you don't need your PC, and it has a good built in DAC. On holidays/parties you can play the same play list at the same time to give you that whole house system feel.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:45 pm 
wkearney99

Meh, I'd rather not risk losing music when the connection can't be made. That and I actually prefer someone else to do the DJ work. So most of the time I just use Sirius satellite radio. I rarely bother connecting my iPod or aux out from the laptop.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:05 pm 
Seahorse

You can create playlists or import them from other programs. I have a playlist for boating, working out, riding motorcycle, etc.

I keep a usb thumb drive in the boat with 1 gig of music on it in case I ever lose my cell signal but it just hasn't happened yet.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:09 pm 
wkearney99

Also note many radio CD players can playback MP3 files written to them. I burned a CD with a fair number of tracks on it and use that now and then. Note, these are mp3 data files, not audio tracks. I do the same thing for Xmas holiday music in the car.

But neither provide the benefit of someone else as the DJ. I just don't seem to get the same level of enjoyment out of playing from my own assortment of tracks. It's just a lot more entertaining to be surprised by what someone else puts together. A little bit of dialog between the tracks (or every couple of tracks) adds to the entertainment value. When I'm working on the boat the daytime 'underground garage' show on Sirius really digs up a terrific variety of stuff.

Anyway, it's nice to have so many options!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:00 pm 
Seahorse

I do agree with you on that. I tell people coming out on the boat to bring a phone, ipod, usb stick or cd with their music if they like.

Options are definitely good. I've been thinking of adding XM. I have Sirius on my Dish Network and really like it.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:30 pm 
email admin your custom rank

wkearney99 wrote:
Also note many radio CD players can playback MP3 files written to them. I burned a CD with a fair number of tracks on it and use that now and then. Note, these are mp3 data files, not audio tracks. I do the same thing for Xmas holiday music in the car.

But neither provide the benefit of someone else as the DJ. I just don't seem to get the same level of enjoyment out of playing from my own assortment of tracks. It's just a lot more entertaining to be surprised by what someone else puts together. A little bit of dialog between the tracks (or every couple of tracks) adds to the entertainment value. When I'm working on the boat the daytime 'underground garage' show on Sirius really digs up a terrific variety of stuff.

Anyway, it's nice to have so many options!

Your right, but thats were the thump drive comes into play. I cd can olny hold 700megs, a thump drive, 2,4 6, gigs and more. You can add a play list to them.

I just bought a 500 gig sata drive and a usb case to put it in. I have transfered blu-ray & DVDs to it and use a netbook to play it back on the TV. I can use the netbook alone (10" screen) but the TV is bigger.