www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:38 pm 
Nauti Luv

Ok, this is pretty strange and I want to see if anybody has any ideas.

While at the slip Saturday night, txvista and I got to talking about VHF radios. For some reason, we decided to test mine and see if he could hear me, or I could hear him. I used mine a few weeks ago and was able to hear somebody talking to me, but I am not 100% sure they could hear me.

So, being that it was dark, I flipped on the arch lights and began to call out to txvista (not on channel 16) to see if he could hear me. Here is where it got interesting. Each time I key the mic on my unit, the arch lights would dim as if it was using MAJOR power to transmit. As soon as you release the mic...they are back to normal level. Now, I am not worried...boat is connected to shore power, batteries are new, charger turned on etc...everything works as it should. It just seems odd that by simply keying up the mic, it draws that sort of power momentarily.

More bad news is that txvista couldnt hear me, and I couldnt hear his reply. We were thinking that perhaps since the marina/slips have steel pilings and metal roof, it may be causing an issue.

Any ideas?

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:47 am 
email admin your custom rank

Well a couple of thoughts. Depending on the radio they can draw 20 or more amps when transmitting, if the power connection for the radio is on the same circuit as the lights, that wouldn't be out of the realm. If they are both fed from your fuse box, there may be a bad connection issue somewhere. On my 268 the arch lights were not factory, if that's the case with yours then someone could have picked up the power source at the radio power source.

As for hearing one another, if your right next to each other or very near under a metal roof, I think can defiantly be a factor.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:42 am 

As for the interference when transmitting:

I fly business jets for a living and can tell you that there are times when we have attempted to make a radio transmission while the aircraft is very near the hanger (all metal structure used for storing airplanes) and the actual transmission is not received on the other end, and if it is received at all, its a very broken/weak transmission at best. In the past I've attempted to make a radio transmission while the aircraft is still in the hanger and nothing from the airplane goes out, I can hear ATC but they are unable to hear me.

A long winded way of saying that Im positive the metal roof is causing you issues. Remember to, airplane radios are likely stronger than anything you're using on the boat.

Hope this helps.

Prior Boat
1999 Bayliner 1950 CL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:53 pm 

Having your squelch set too high on your VHF radio can also cause you not to receive a VHF transmission. As you likely know, the squelch should be turned down to a point where you receive static and then just turned up a bit until the static disappears.

If someone bumped your squelch knob inadvertently so its set real high, this could possibly be the problem.

But since neither one of you guys could hear each other, maybe there is another reason (metal roof) ? Now you guys where on the same VHF channel right or where both your units in scan mode?

Mike.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:06 pm 
Nauti Luv

Got the squelch set properly and know how it works....and yep, on the same channel.

Previous Boats:
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:25 pm 

It is probably the metal because I also fly planes and you can't get anything out if your inside the hangar. 8) Joe from Miami.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:41 pm 

Jafo4U wrote:
It is probably the metal because I also fly planes and you can't get anything out if your inside the hangar. 8) Joe from Miami.

Hey Joe, (killer Hendrix tune)

anyways, do you fly for a living or pleasure!

Prior Boat
1999 Bayliner 1950 CL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:56 pm 

There is another posting that I responded to called : Post subject: Short or a bad ground? It sounds like a very similar problem you might want to read it.

I feel that FW in building there boats, uses wire that is too small for they load that there are handling. Plus, not to say all, but all the wiring in the boat I have touched is NOT marine rated. It should be tinned. I think that when the mike is keyed, your boat is pulling too much power though the DC panel. Check for corrosion.

I would install a 2nd dc panel, come off the common side of the battery switch or off the battery to power the VHF. If your light are dimming, that is a clear sign that you have a problem with the wiring.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:31 am 
wkearney99

If you want to know if it's wiring or not then setup a temporary feed directly from the battery to the radio. Both positive and negative, just use a fuse in-line on the positive of course. If your problem goes away then use the old ground line and repeat the test. If the lights dim then there's something wrong with the ground. Either from a bad or corroded connection or inside the wire itself. If it didn't dim then swap the pos/neg around and use the local positive while still using a direct ground to the battery. Here again if you have dimming then it's either a poor connection somewhere or corrosion within the wiring.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:24 am 
Clownfish

I have no suggestions for your dimming lights, but one possibility for the the transmission issues. At work, we routinely experience this with police vehicles. If sitting beside or very near the other vehicle, you will not hear the other car transmitting. I have no idea why it does it, but it does it all the time. As soon as you get 4-5 car lengths away, the radio works as normal. I have also experienced this with my Dad's boat in the slip beside me. I was talking to another boater on the radio, and my Dad could only hear the other boaters transmissions, not mine.

1993 Vista 245
351 CID, OMC King Cobra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:23 pm 

I would be worried!! That tells me that the VHF is not getting the power it should (in amps). So the is a voltage drop, in time of need, you VHF may not be getting out as far as it should or could.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:43 am 

verpoort wrote:
Jafo4U wrote:

Hey Joe, (killer Hendrix tune)

anyways, do you fly for a living or pleasure!

I fly for pleasure solely. Piper PA-28 Warrior 2 or pretty much any low or high wing single without glass. I like my steam driven instruments lol!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:45 am 

I also fly gliders which I happen at this point to be spending all my time on. Grob 103 is my poison. 8) Joe from Miami

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:51 pm 
Nauti Luv

Update!

Today I replaced my shirt 3foot metal antenna with an 8 foot Shakespeare model. New wire, conntecorts, etc.

Upon disassembly of the old one, it appears that maybe the antenna wasn't connected properly.

After installing and getting everything back together, I once again try to talk with txvista...to no avail.

Flip back to channel 16, request a radio check and voila! A good couple miles away. I am being read loud and clear!. This now leads us to think that maybe txvista has radio issues. It still could be our close proximity and being under the cover at the marina...we will try it out this weekend.

Previous Boats:
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:56 pm 

If it happens again tune to a weather station. If you can't get weather it is your antenna. Just make sure your radio is tuned for U.S. and not international or Canada