www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:46 pm 
Goldfish

I have a 2007 Horizon with a Clarion system. I noticed recently that my speakers are not as loud as usual. Listening to them closely I find that the left 2 are much louder then the right. As far as I know there is no balance control or am I wrong. I checked the connections on both the speakers and the deck and found nothing. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:23 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I think most stereos have balance and fader settings. I don't know the Clarion specifically, but I would start with looking for the manual for it, or just play around with the settings until you come across the option.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:37 pm 
wkearney99

Speakers crap out when out in the elements. Clarion speakers are cheap and start to degrade after a few years. The ones in my 2005 lasted 4 years before falling apart. Pop off the grille and look at the cones. If you see signs of cracking then it's time to replace them. The simplest route is to just get another set of the same make/model. Otherwise you're going to have to drill new holes (and countersink them) to mount a different brand.

Fidelity on a boat is a joke so spending a lot of money for "better" speakers is often a waste of money. Yeah, it'll sound better but within a year or so they elements will cause the more expensive ones to degrade too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:30 pm 

The Polk 651's are very nice speakers (not the S model) and are under $100 for the pair. I myself have a pretty old JVC sirius radio and it's really basic. My #1 need/want in a radio is USB and HD radio support built in. I have yet to see a marine radio that has that under $$$$. I put this in my car last year, it does it all and sounds great! I might just buy it for the boat 8)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-CDX-GT700HD-CD ... 8597wt_988

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:42 am 

There is no balance control on that unit if it is the CDM4 (CMD4?). I have the same unit. Look at your speakers first.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:18 pm 
Seahorse

Are you running an amplifier/amplifiers? Typically it wouldn't be wired with the right and left speakers on different amps but who knows. If you're running amps, I'd check the gain levels on each.

Also, is it with all sources? Radio and external aux input? If you are testing solely with an aux input, it could be your input cable has corrosion or a bad connection on one of the channels.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:07 pm 
Villiage Idiot

pet575 wrote:
There is no balance control on that unit if it is the CDM4 (CMD4?). I have the same unit. Look at your speakers first.

I just confirmed the same with the manual for the CMD4A.

I say check connections, then speakers.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:50 am 
Goldfish

Update, switched speakers from left to right and it was the same so it seemed to be a problem with the deck. Just about to start pulling the deck out so I pulled my aux iPod connector out and put the tuner on. Then I noticed that all the speakers were working! Tried a new 3.5mm cable and everything worked fine. Something so simple I thought to never check.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:23 am 

wkearney99 wrote:
Speakers crap out when out in the elements. Clarion speakers are cheap and start to degrade after a few years. The ones in my 2005 lasted 4 years before falling apart. Pop off the grille and look at the cones. If you see signs of cracking then it's time to replace them. The simplest route is to just get another set of the same make/model. Otherwise you're going to have to drill new holes (and countersink them) to mount a different brand.

Fidelity on a boat is a joke so spending a lot of money for "better" speakers is often a waste of money. Yeah, it'll sound better but within a year or so they elements will cause the more expensive ones to degrade too.

Yes, Bill is right. My own boat, a 2007 left over. So a new boat, 11hrs, but 5 years old. The speakers sounded a little "odd", I pulled the grills off and the cones were all cracked!! YES, as someone already said, check the speakers first!

If thats not it, you can do 2 things solve your balance problem. The first is to add a fader/balance control, which any good auto store or rat shack should have. I would do this any ways or upgrade the head. The other it to add a .5 to 1.0 ohm resistor to the louder speaker, which should bring it down 2 to 3db in volume.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:10 am 
Tadpole

Listening to them closely I find that the left 2 are much louder then the right. As far as I know there is no balance control or am I wrong. Speakers crap out when out in the elements. Clarion speakers are cheap and start to degrade after a few years. The ones in my 2005 lasted 4 years before falling apart. Pop off the grille and look at the cones. If you see signs of cracking then it's time to replace them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:45 pm 
wkearney99

Paul I. wrote:
If thats not it, you can do 2 things solve your balance problem. The first is to add a fader/balance control, which any good auto store or rat shack should have. I would do this any ways or upgrade the head. The other it to add a .5 to 1.0 ohm resistor to the louder speaker, which should bring it down 2 to 3db in volume.

Don't know if I'd bother with a fader control. First check to see if the amp (if there's one installed) has a balance adjustment on it. Some do. That'd let you fine tune the setup without having to alter any of the existing wiring.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:20 pm 
Minnow

when i fade out my front speakers to turn on the rear speakers i loose power. the fronts are off but the rears are real low. when i move the knob back to the front speakers you can here the rear speakers get louder.(is this normal)?

Toyota Tundra 2007
2003 180 Sea Ray (previous)
1975 Glastron 16' fishing boat 65HP 0B (first boat)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:35 am 
wkearney99

You mean you lose volume out the rear speakers? Is there an amplifier setup on your boat? On ours the rear speakers are run through an amp. They're fed off the rear channel from the radio head unit, but then through an amplifier. If yours has the same setup them you'd want to find out why the amp isn't working properly. If not then it would appear something's wrong with your head unit.