www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:09 pm 
Guppy

I have a 2001 280 horizon. My sony amp is showing an amber "offset" indicator light. When I consult the sony manual, it says that is commonly caused by a ground loop, and to check that the ground wire is tightly fixed to a metal terminal post. I see the ground wire coming out of the amp, but can't trace it to where it terminates. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where FW typically terminates the amp ground? Behind the fuse panel? I can't see any black ground wire terminating under the helm instrument panel.

My amp sits below the helm seat and is accessed when I pull out the under seat storage bin.

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:19 pm 
email admin your custom rank

You could use a tone generator. I.T. & phone techs use them to trace wires from one end of a building, to anther. You could just run another ground wire also.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:55 am 
Guppy

Thanks Paul. Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like the Amp return goes to position 1 of P/j13 (back of stereo bus) then from there to position 10 of TB01 (DC return Bus at the helm). Presumably that returns back to the battery and/or block.

If anyone has any thoughts on my situation, here is what happened:

Out trolling the other night. I was using the VHF radio and all of a sudden it started to crackle and break up. Then all electrical power on the boat went out. Turns out the ShipSys breaker blew.

I had been accidentally running on the Emergency Start battery setting instead of ON that I usueall run on. I don't know if that is a contibuting factor or not.

When I reset the ShipSys breaker, everything was working as normal except the AMP which is showing an indicator light that the manufacturer suggests is caused by a ground loop.

I did have one ACC fuse blown, but I have not yet figured out what that goes with as everythiing I have tested so far works.

My first inclination is to confirm that the ground connection for the amp is good, and if so call in a pro to diagnose any other issues.

Any thoughts?

thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:51 am 

How about running a ground wire directly to the battery from the amp and see if that clears the fault light?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:55 am 

For reasons I am too uneducated to understand the ground wire from an amp on a boat should go directly to the battery terminal, which is where I located mine on my 05 H250. Using a tone generator ( with the batts disconnected) I located that ground and the power wire, which curiously attached at the starter. Also, this factory installed unit used 10 g wire when at least 8g, would be required for the length and amps.

I like the idea of trying to trace and locate your ground using a tone generator. They are about 30 bucks at home depot. If you are a try to fix it yourself first kind of guy, it will be used again and again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:41 pm 

Xavid wrote:
For reasons I am too uneducated to understand the ground wire from an amp on a boat should go directly to the battery terminal, which is where I located mine on my 05 H250. Using a tone generator ( with the batts disconnected) I located that ground and the power wire, which curiously attached at the starter. Also, this factory installed unit used 10 g wire when at least 8g, would be required for the length and amps.

I like the idea of trying to trace and locate your ground using a tone generator. They are about 30 bucks at home depot. If you are a try to fix it yourself first kind of guy, it will be used again and again.

Yes, tools like that can be used later for all kinds of things!!! I have said this in the past, I have found that FW under sizes and they don't used tinned wire. It's a boat, "HELLO!!!" http://tinnedmarinewire.com/wire/ The tinned wire will not turn "green" on you.