www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Horizon 180 Audio Update
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:52 am 
Seahorse

I find here a lot of useful topics and i would appreciate your help about updating my audio
Now i only have the stock stereo and two stock speakers...
I like to change my stock clarion and
Im thinking about 4 polks speakers or maybe 6
subwoofer but i not have a idea where to mount and which brand????? :?
and same thing with the amplifier where to mount and which brand will be good for my setup...???
If someone with h180 have a good audio setup PLEASE SHARE WITH ME...
Thank You!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:02 pm 
Seahorse

I forgot to tell that boat has the standard seating
same as this
http://www.boattest.com/images-gallery/ ... rawing.jpg

Any advice or opinion?
Thank You

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:31 am 
email admin your custom rank

Well, if I was doing any upgrades, I would shoot for Alpine's latest line of head units. Of course though, everyone has their favorite brands for audio, so that is only my .02 cents worth.

Speaker upgrades, yes Polk would be a good choice, as well as JL Audio. Search back through the threads here and you should easily find info on both.

As far as mounting a sub, my 2009 H180 came with a Bazooka tube as standard equipment (just a small 6-1/2" powered unit), mounted up under the passenger side console. Works well to fill in the bottom end, no a serious thump to it though. So depending on what you want to do, that might be an option for you. If you want to go with a bigger sub, that may still be a space worth mounting it. You may have to get creative to build a box in there, but at least it is out of the way. If you choose a sub that doesn't require a ton of enclosure volume, I think you could get away with it.

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:19 am 

I have a 180 Freedom (Basically the same as the Horizon) with the same seating. I originally planned to put in six speakers. I ended up going with just 4, which eliminated the need for the Sub (many mount this on the starboard side under the built in cooler).

I swapped the old Sony head unit with the Sony http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158M60UI/S ... ml?tp=1721 and the Polk 651 that everyone on the board likes.
I mounted the rear speakers just in front of the rear seats. The existing two were just a swap out (though needed some redrilling for the screw holes). The head unit was a direct swap out since I stuck with Sony. I bought the little connectors at Radio Shack so I could wire the additional two rear speakers into the factory wiring housing (think the whiteish clear plastic box). You break a few, so buy extra's so you can get it right.

I skipped the bow speakers (which would have been 5 and 6 and needing the amp). My wife was not happy, but there was just no good spot to mount them due to the wrap around cushion. The space was too narrow between the bottom of the back cushion and the seat part. I could have mounted them right in front of the helm on both sides, but felt someone sitting there would block the sound.

I have not found a picture on this PC, but will post one for you to see. Pretty easy install, just measure and triple check where you want the speaker as once you cut you cannot go back.

P.S. forgot to add, I put a remote stereo control on the transom so we could control the music while in the water.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=629&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=120

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:03 am 
Seahorse

Thanks for suggestions..
I just want to ask if someone with H180 have some pictures of mounted speakers,sub,amp(stock or upgrade)
to share with me..Just to have idea how to mount new sub and amp...
What do you folks think about Kenwood KMR-700(good price deal) vs other marine head unit?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:45 am 

As far as head units go, stick with either Alpine or Sony. They are the two top dogs. The "Big" Marine Sony can be found on sale a lot of times that might be my next purchase. I still use an old JBL sirius marine radio and will not purchase a new one until HD-Radio comes built in a marine head unit for under $200. There's some good stations around Orlando and putting in a Sony HD radio in my car was an amazing upgrade.

I have two 651's in the stock location with a JBL 200w marine amp mounted by the fuse block. I can beach the boat and clearly listen to the radio playing volleyball 100ft away. I don't see a need to add any more speakers or subs. It rocks!

As I said before in other posts. Speakers like the Polk 651 REQUIRE 100 watts per speaker. Even the best head unit in the world might only deliver 5-10w per speaker tops. Without the correct wattage to the speaker, they are not very loud and the audio is distorted that's why people might put 4 to 6 of them on an 18ft boat!!! Bad! My two 651's with a 200w amp will make you want to get OUT of the boat turned all the way up and I'm surprised the old ladies on the lake have not called the police on me yet.

When doing a speaker upgrade, always supply a minimum of the specified RMS wattage to the speaker for correct sound. Polk recommends 100w continuous for the DB651 to achieve their advertised output.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:09 pm 
Seahorse

Im from Europe and in my country is hard to find marine audio..
And the prices are :shock: :o :shock:
I only found this kenwood kmr-700 at good price and i dont know what to do??Buy it or did everyone here think that kenwood is crap compared to others?
Same with speakers here i cant find Polk,Infinity,JL...Maybe some other brands like sony,kenwood,jbl Marine Speakers...
but the price for this kind of speakers compared to non-marine speaker are :shock:
Im thinking about upgrading stock audio with non-marine speakers,amp,sub...???? :? :?
Im confused i dont know what to do..
I asked about Polk`s but price when they come here will be sooooo high....
Any suggestions?