www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:12 pm 
Narwhal

I'm trying to figure the ins and outs of the iPOD input to the Clarion CMD4A head unit that came on my '07 Horizon 200. I understand from the clarion manual that there's a set of RCA jack AUX inputs, and on the CMD4A an AUX/ iPOD switch. The manual goes on to describe functionality available through the head unit for # tracks, switching tracks, displaying tracks, etc., etc., when the iPOD/AUX button is selected, and the iPOD is connected through the CeNET iPOD CeNET controller. Did FW take another shortcut here? It appears that the 'iPOD connector' is wired via RCA jacks to the Clarion AUX inputs, rather than to the CeNET connector. According to the manual when wired this way, "no iPOD" will display and none of the head unit iPOD functionality will be available. I'm going to play with various MP3 players and iPODs this weekend, but I'm curious if anybody has gotten the Clarion head unit functionality to work with their iPOD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:02 am 
230 Mike

I can't really say with certainty, since in '05 they were using a different head unit; I'm about to add an mp3 input to our boat. But from what you describe, if the head unit has a generic 'aux' input and an 'ipod specific' input, I imagine you'd have to be connected to the ipod specific one in order for the head to manage the ipod.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:42 am 
wkearney99

If it's wired directly into the AUX inputs then you'll have no control over it from the console/transom remotes or the head unit. You'll have audio only out of the iPod and will have to control it from the iPod itself. If it has the added Clarion iPod interface (a separate box) connected via CeNet to the head unit then you'll be able to control it from the head unit and remotes, and NOT from the iPod itself.

The actual clarion iPod interface does NOT using the AUX RCA input jacks. It feeds audio to the head unit through the CeNet connection.

I believe the head unit toggles through AUX, iPod, CD Changer, etc, based on detecting the appropriate interfaces. If there's no changer, iPod or other (tv tuner) devices connected via CeNet then you won't see the option for them when you toggle through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:58 am 
Narwhal

Thanks guys, that helps! Looks like the 'Clarion iPOD controller' for the CMD4A is the EA1276:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_915 ... A1276.html

At about $100, I might just have to go with the existing 'headphone jack connector' AUX input. :roll:

I have spoken to FW customer service on this, in my opinion use of the term iPOD connector for an AUX input is misleading, particularly when the head unit manufacturer specifically uses the term 'iPod Ready'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:26 am 
ShanMan

I don't disagree. An axillary mini-jack and the term "iPod jack" etc. are oftentimes used synonymously; clearly they are not the same animal.

"MP3 ready" would be more appropriate terminology.

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:45 pm 
Narwhal

Well, got off the phone with FW Cusotmer Service. At first they played dumb, stating that there was only one way to connect iPODs to the Clarion. I gave them P/Ns, and explained what 'iPOD Ready' means. I further related that the information provided in brochures is misleading to say the least. They had their Clarion rep call me back to clarify iPOD connectivity. The Clarion Rep agreed with me, that FW is marketing the ability to connect an iPOD but only supplying an AUX connection. He agreed to call back FW. FW Cusotmer Service called me back using the specific language "it is what it is" :roll: not the warm fuzzy I expected as a brand new FW customer, guess the honeymoon is over.

As an aside they indicated the 2008 boats will have Sony Marine stereo equipment in them. Glad I got a '07.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:12 pm 
ShanMan

Interesting... I wonder if FW is simply passing along the verbiage they received from Clarion?

Also, I wonder why the switch to Sony? :?

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:23 am 
Shark

Jim_R wrote:
Thanks guys, that helps! Looks like the 'Clarion iPOD controller' for the CMD4A is the EA1276:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_915 ... A1276.html

At about $100, I might just have to go with the existing 'headphone jack connector' AUX input. :roll:

I have spoken to FW customer service on this, in my opinion use of the term iPOD connector for an AUX input is misleading, particularly when the head unit manufacturer specifically uses the term 'iPod Ready'.

the advantage of the clarion part is that you can vaguely control the iPod from the remote at the dashboard and that it charges the ipod.

I have it on mine and am happy with it. costly though and not all that functional.

Post subject: Clarion ipod
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:17 am 
Minnow

Jim_r:
I posted this back on June 7 in regard to the ipod connection on my CMD5:

RK5211Wrote:
Careful of the products offered out there. I did a little research through Crutchfield and found that many of the ipod connection units that are add-ons (the ones that supply power and read-out on the display) really limit the capability of the ipod. For example, the functions on the ipod are disabled when it is connected and you can only play a few pre-established playlists or the Ipod from A-Z.

That wouldn't work for me. Although I like the concept of charging it while I use it, I opted for the Clarion CMD-5 unit with just the auxillary ipod jack. It was a bundle that came with the head unit, wireless remote the ipod jack and 2 speakers for $399 from West Marine. (however, it CAN be purchased seperate)

The Jack only has about 12 inches of wire behind it and I wanted it mounted at the helm so I purchased 25' of RCA cable and a set of male-to-male converters from Radio shack. Ran the wires to the helm, mounted the waterproof aux Jack and there it is. I can control everything from the helm now. Of course, I need cahrge the ipod with a 12V charger, but oh well. It's worth it for the flexibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:04 am 
email admin your custom rank

I wanted to add one and my stereo guy talked me out of it, said it was a waste of money. Never really understood why he would say that, this kinda clears it up. I will stick with my plug jack. I also run an RF at times so all the boats around me can play the same songs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:24 am 
wkearney99

There are two ways to get audio out of your iPod. Through the headphone jack on the top and the edge connector on the bottom. In general you want to use the bottom edge connector. Mainly so you can charge it at the same time. There are cables that fit the edge connector that have both power and line-out audio signals. This way you charge it while you're listening instead of having to use another charger.

Here's one such example on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-Eclipse-Clarion-JVC-iPod-DIGITAL-RCA-AUX-INPUT_W0QQitemZ170121196687QQihZ007QQcategoryZ60208QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've been using one of these with my Clarion for two seasons now. I routed the audio from this cable into the DVD player (it has an aux input). I then routed the audio out from the player to the aux input on the clarion. Now I get DVD audio through the sound system instead of just the tinny speakers in the TV. When the DVD player isn't on or playing a movie it passes the aux signal through it. This way I just put the Clarion on AUX and get either the DVD or the iPod.

And since the cable has a 12v hookup it automatically charges the iPod. Works great.