www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:27 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Hemi vs Cummins...
HP goes to Hemi
Torque goes to Cummins
Fuel Economy...a toss up...if towing a lot...and a boat bigger than these 20' bowriders...Cummins...but not at all needed for these boats...
Repair costs...100% Hemi...much cheaper to fix what may go wrong which over 100K miles I can tell you is basically nothing. Now if you push it farther...lets say to 200-300K yes the Cummins should last longer...but the Diesel reliability and cost of operation...has been compromised by complex emissions systems that have been added over time...

Personally having had one Hemi over 10 years...for sure I'd get another...6.4 liters and just about 400 hp...sounds nice...even just 330 in my much lighter Grand...launches it just fine...

For boat towing I would not even consider a Diesel..unless the load exceeded 8,000 lbs....just not worth the cost penalty.
400 hp + the ZF HP-8 is all you'd ever need.....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:44 pm 
Shark

Thanks Guys. I personally like all the shape the truck has on the sides. It just has a look I like.

I went out tested the prop. It does GPS 30 mph at 3200 RPM it is a real good cruising prop. Main reason I went out even after it was a misty rain. Wanted to see what the prop did.

It was misty as we arrived. I put the bow cover and top on. I had to turn around after the windsheild was wet enough it made it hard to see. I was wishing this thing had windsheild wipers LOL. I do like the top and bow cover. It does a good job keeping the boat and you dry if you get caught in it.

LOL my son said "Here we go" as the boats bow came up and we sped off. Now that is what I like about the boat. It tickles him so much.

It was a short run but we had alot of fun.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:10 am 

LouC wrote:
Hemi vs Cummins...
HP goes to Hemi
Torque goes to Cummins
Fuel Economy...a toss up...if towing a lot...and a boat bigger than these 20' bowriders...Cummins...but not at all needed for these boats...
Repair costs...100% Hemi...much cheaper to fix what may go wrong which over 100K miles I can tell you is basically nothing. Now if you push it farther...lets say to 200-300K yes the Cummins should last longer...but the Diesel reliability and cost of operation...has been compromised by complex emissions systems that have been added over time...

Personally having had one Hemi over 10 years...for sure I'd get another...6.4 liters and just about 400 hp...sounds nice...even just 330 in my much lighter Grand...launches it just fine...

For boat towing I would not even consider a Diesel..unless the load exceeded 8,000 lbs....just not worth the cost penalty.
400 hp + the ZF HP-8 is all you'd ever need.....

Agreed...the Cummins cost and price of diesel eliminates that engine setup unless you have a large load to haul. My Ram is the 6Speed not the dial shift 8speed. I had no desire to twist a knob for gear selection. Its rated right at 390 hp and tow rating is 9800, which is about double my max tow load. Oddly the tow capacity was very close to my prior ford diesel with the worlds worst motor...the 6.0.

Cant see trading or selling it anytime soon....I've looked at new models and test drove and honestly prefer my truck which is also like new. Backup camera isnt the best but that's fine.

I like the Cummins but there's never a break even point due to inflated fuel cost and emission fluid cost not to mention high regular service expense.

Hope to be motoring in my Ram for another 5 years at least.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:09 am 

LouC wrote:
Hemi vs Cummins...
Repair costs...100% Hemi...much cheaper to fix what may go wrong which over 100K miles I can tell you is basically nothing. Now if you push it farther...lets say to 200-300K...

I know this is still "off-topic" but I'll throw this out there for you guys: I have 217k miles on my '05 Hemi. This was the first year of the Hemi return and is considered to be one of the worst years for a Hemi motor (dropped valve seats). While it doesn't pull like a freight-train like my Chevy truck w/ 8.1L or the old diesel Excursion we had, it does get-up-&-go just fine and I haven't had to do major service to it yet (knock on wood). It does burn a little oil between changes, but that's expected for a large V8 with over 150k miles.

This Jeep has to last me at least another 2 yrs before I can think about getting another one and I have every reason to believe it will. I'll seriously consider another Hemi at that time!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:15 pm 
Shark

Me and my youngin went out today. New motor is breaking in now no issues.

Was a beautiful day. Guy in the parking lot said I should get to go out 2-3 more times. He is right it gonna get cold sooner than later. One year we had 6 inches of snow on thanksgiving. Other years it makes it to Christmas eve being 70.

I got my winterizing supplies together it can be done at a moments notice. Until then just boat on.

I upgraded from the King Canopy carport deal last week. I had to go out and knock snow off of it. That was my only issue with it. No sleep if it snowed. I got a metal one for the boat and the Towmater.

I put in a big drain to get the water from the side yard past the boat. Makes it easier to get out after heavy rains.

This boating thing takes alot of time and resources.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:35 pm 

Nice cover....I have one and got it 9 years ago. Still like new and was amazed at how sturdy they are. Looks like you have the auger anchors too. I have my truck and fishing boat under it...cant beat them for the price.

I've had 60 to 70 mph wind gust with this carport and no issues...winds that have snapped some of my trees at the ground.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:31 pm 
Shark

TX H210SS wrote:
Nice cover....I have one and got it 9 years ago. Still like new and was amazed at how sturdy they are. Looks like you have the auger anchors too. I have my truck and fishing boat under it...cant beat them for the price.

I've had 60 to 70 mph wind gust with this carport and no issues...winds that have snapped some of my trees at the ground.

Thank you it is a sunbrella deal. Because my boat is so old i had to have it custom made. It has a 10 year warentee.

Yes I got the 6 spikes it came with. And i option for 6 mobile home anchors. it has 2 spiral things per anchor. They drove them in the ground a foot and a half with a big driver. Looked like it had a 30 hp electric motor and was gear reduction. It spun slow.

There is one like mine down the road the carport. It been there as long as I owned this house. Guy parks a car and a tractor under it. It seemed tough that is why I got one.

We had 70 mph winds here that tent made it through. It had 4 rebar anchors and cable tying it down. Snow was its downfall. I had to stay up and knock the snow off. Hence the new model LOL. I like sleep in the winter.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:21 am 

Ordered the yearly winterization supplies.

Walmart had the cheapest oil, and also the OEM oil filter.

Antifreeze, fuel filter, gear lube from WestMarine.

Alignment tool from ebay.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:56 pm 

I will be ordering the alignment tool and bellows before long. I did stop and get the triple guard grease as suggested.

Lou...dont quit the forum for winter cuz come November I know I will need some advice on the drive removal and install. I'm gonna make a drive stand.

I do have angst over this after watching some of the videos online....just hoping that alignment tool slides and spins spot on, but I usually dont get lucky like that.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:52 am 
Shark

It is my first year the boat isn't having the motor in the heated garage out f the boat. So i also looked into winterization supplies. I saw what they were selling as a kit. I had the whole thing already in my garage. I actually had the exact container they use.

I got my fogging spray. I got the "kit" full of anti-freeze. I got outdrive oil and everything for a oil change.

On the alignment tool. I had fits with this. They say the rear mounts have no adjustment baloney I say. I couldn't get mine to line up right to save my life. Once the tool was in I loosened the rear and front mounts. Jerk around on it like a gorrilla. Now tighten the rear mounts. They got some play and this lines them up. Now it slides in like butter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:30 am 

OK guys I'll be around for you all!
Anyway...winterizing....here's my take....you are fresh water boaters...so internal corrosion is not a major issue like for me....so...as long as you really drain...get down in the bilge and poke those hoses....you should be good. If you want to use antifreeze...my suggestions:

1) do NOT use those suck the AF up the drive kits, what can happen is you start with an engine full of water from running on the water hose. Then you hook up the tank and AF....and expect it to get into the engine...what happens is....it will go out the exhaust...and if the thermostat does not open all the way...and it may not on a cool fall day....you exhaust will be full of AF and the engine, still has mostly raw water in it...this can lead to a cracked block! The only ways around this are to drain it first...(only have to drain the block) or remove the thermostat.

I prefer to:
fully drain manually, poke holes, disconnect hoses etc. Then, I put OMC gasket sealer or similar (Merc Perfect seal, Permatex gasket sealer) on the threads of the plugs and replace. Then I use either:
-100 marine antifreeze (if I'm lazy and don't mind spending the cash on it) or
Mix up 4 gallons of Sierra brand PG antifreeze
and manually fill the engine and manifolds with AF.
I do not use the -50 or -60 because....I tested it in the freezer...they both get hard (but don't expand) at zero in the freezer. I wanted a bigger margin of safety for this application.

2) about the alignment...it may be just fine...if its off...you can watch you tube vids on how to do it...or find a good mechanic and just pay them to get it exactly right...you will probably never have to do it again on a boat with solid engine mount pads and transom

3) drive R+R....yes build the stand....the Volvo drive...is close to 100 lbs....you don't want to be trying to balance this thing on the skeg and try to get it back on. That will be a bad day for you!

4) bellows replacement....you will have an easier time if you remove the pivot housing...this way you can make sure that the gimble housing end..is fully on the flange...I replace the bellows when I see small cracks between the folds....if you can keep the drive down...they can last as long as 10 years. On the Volvo...because it does not use a gasket between the pivot and drive...coat both mating surfaces with OMC triple guard grease....that way it will not get corroded on which can happen even in fresh water.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn3zrg0ruzwz2 ... l.jpg?dl=0

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:43 pm 
Shark

Well I looked for the sierra antifreeze. It is only sold by the case or the drum. You cannot get gallons of it anywhere.

On a side note we were out on the river today. Getting every day we can out there before it gets cold.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:35 am 

chevymaher wrote:
Well I looked for the sierra antifreeze. It is only sold by the case or the drum. You cannot get gallons of it anywhere.

On a side note we were out on the river today. Getting every day we can out there before it gets cold.

Do you have Ace Hardware where you are? If so you might be able to order gallons on line.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:54 am 
Shark

LouC wrote:
chevymaher wrote:

Do you have Ace Hardware where you are? If so you might be able to order gallons on line.

Nope I looked only a case at a time from them. The got the best price but for a case it isnt so good any more.

Don't seem to me any of these places really care about the environment only money or this wouldn't be happening.

I going to warm the boat up use the wal mart special then drain everything. I really don't got a choice. My buddy just drains his every year and he never has a issue.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:14 pm 

Took it out for a final run yesterday. Lake was like glass for miles, epic conditions.

Ended up running with a Liberator for a few miles - 55 MPH on the GPS WOT and cruised around 45. Fun times! I could listen to that SBC at full song all day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next