www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Windlass
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:38 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Hello,
I am adding a windlass to my 278 Vista. I am curious if anyone has an opinion on best brand. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with a particular brand? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Windlass
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:48 pm 

I added a Lewmar V700 to my 268, and have been very happy with it. Its not a bad install. We kept the chain stopper "flipper" which means that the anchor rode needs to be centered in the bow roller bracket. That requires the windlass to be off to the left side just a little bit. You might check out www.boat-project.com for an install on a '99 268 vista, along with many other projects. He did an excellent job describing the process with all his projects.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:33 am 

Thank you for the information. Lewmar seems like the logical choice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:25 pm 

You can find the v700 starting at a bit over $600 on line. Walking up to the bow to let it out is one thing. Getting spoiled by not having to retrieve it manually is another. Do some research on your boat to see if it was pre wired for the windlass. We added a toggle switch inside the door to the anchor locker so we can retrieve it from there or at the helm. We also added a wash down pump with plumbing to the bow and stern to rinse dirty anchors or water toys or the boat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:40 pm 
Guppy

Desperately seeking help with installing a windlass on my 2001 Sundowner 285. Cant find the "contactor" or primary power wiring to the anchor locker, and don't know where/how to run it if I have to. All I find is the console rocker switch wire. I can't reach any further into the locker/sides and of course all is blocked off from the berthing area. I dont want to start tearing the cabin apart. I got the windlass mounting plate template from FourWinns but thats all they can give me.

I went through the project on boat-project.com, but he found this was all pre-wired by the manufacturer.
While I can't get the original windlass from FW, Maxwell makes the RC6-8 and provided me with the updated holes/drilling diagram overlay to allow me to update the FW mounting plate template.

If I have to run this from scratch I have no idea where to start - through the cabin ceiling? Where do I get the "contactor" (described/shown on boat-project.com)? I may need to add a circuit breaker to the cabin panel also, dont see one for a windlass.

I thought FW pre-wired all this stuff whether the option was installed or not.

If anyone can point me to someone who has gone through this it would be great.

ANY resources/contacts appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:24 pm 

I believe that my Lewmar V700 came with a breaker and the contactor. These would also be available thru your marine supply store. Check your windlass instructions to determine wire sizes. I ran dedicated power and ground wiring from the battery to the contactor and windlass, and recommend doing so. The windlass can draw a lot of power when needed. My 268 had the switch to contactor control wiring installed. Check the wiring diagrams in the Four Winns owners manual for your boat. If there is OEM wiring going forward from the switch, the manual helps explain how to connect. If you have a Hawse pipe (hole in the deck) for existing anchor rode, you may need to adjust the location or patch part of the hole because the windlass will be mounted off-center to keep the anchor rode centered. Boat-project.com describes this. Good luck on the project! Once it is installed, you will love it!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:14 pm 
Guppy

Thank you!

I'll look again in my manuals for the wiring, but so far I haven't found anything on the windlass.

WHERE did you run the wiring from the battery forward? In the ceiling of the cabin? I'm trying to avoid tearing the cabin apart unnecessarily.

I was able to build the mounting plate from the template I obtained from Four Winns, but they have no info on the electrical.
So anyway no concerns about the hawse pipe - at least not yet, this plate has it cut. With a swivel and 8-strand rode rope I think I'll be OK there (fingers crossed).

I see a "Windlass" label on the battery switch in the engine compartment - presume this is where I'd install a circuit breaker for the windlass. I haven't removed it yet, but since its empty I presume there's no poer wiring for the windlass installed - hoping this isn't true. If I do need to install the wiring...need to know where to run it through the cabin....per the note above.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:07 pm 

I ran the power and ground wires along the Port side down low. I ran the power wire through the circuit breaker I bought and installed in the battery switch panel forward along the left side of the aft cabin near the chine, under the galley and v-berth seat cushions, then through the bulkhead between the v-berth and anchor locker. My Galley is on the Port side. I did pull the refrigerator to run the wires through the galley and over the top of a bulkhead at the front of the Galley. Go to Fourwinns.com, click on "Owners", then click on "Owners Manuals". I noticed that they did not hav manuals for the 2001 285 Sundowner, but they did have for the 2000 285 Sundowner. The Owners Manuals should give youan idea for the wiring schematic. Schematcs are near the end of the owners manuals. While you are on the site, look at their parts catalog and "Fast Facts" for boat equipment, options and performance.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:08 pm 
Guppy

Thanks - !
I've spent a lot of time going over the schematics...
I'm concluding from this, and your comments, that the power lines were NOT run by FW and I have to do this myself.

Did your circuit breaker come with the windlass or bought separately? Would you have Make/Model/Source?
I see a circuit breaker "CB02"in the desk/helm harness schematics that I can't identify- what does this refer to?
The main circuit breaker is on the battery switch aft, not sure where this forward one would be(unless its referring to the fuse panel, but that has a separate label - ie: F08).

I'm further concluding that the power contactor/solenoid will come with the windlass...as I can find no evidence of one having been installed at the factory.

Tangent:
I found a discussion on using a wireless remote switch in lieu of footswitches on the deck...but all the component links are old/dead. Any resources for this?

Lastly - I couldn't find the "Fast Facts" you referred to on the FW site....I used the parts catalog search ...but obviously that only shows individual parts.

thanks again!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:34 pm 

I received a circuit breaker and contactor with the Lewmar V700 windlass. I used the contactor, but I bought a different circuit breaker to match the style that Four Winns used in that installation. If a windlass was an option on your boat, I would recommend looking in the Four Winns Parts Catalog online. Four Winns usually includes the Four Winns part number and also the manufacturer's part number for parts that are made by other vendors. The breakers can be obtained from marine parts houses such as West Marine, Defender, Great Lakes Skipper, etc. I did add the heavy gauge power and ground wiring, and some of the control circuit wiring at the contactor. I added a waterproof toggle switch just inside the deck door to the anchor locker, instead of drilling holes in the deck for foot switches. If you have a windlass switch in your panel at the helm, verify whether contactor control circuit wiring does go forward to the area where a windlas would be installed.

Look in the 2002 Four Winns Parts catalog under "P/L 285S Deck Hardware 2000", scroll down to "Windlass with Rope, Chain, and Anchor". This looks like it has all the parts. click on the "Camera" symbol for photos of the parts.

To find the "Fast Facts", Go to the "Owners" section. Click on the "Catalogs and Product Information" tab, select your boat's year, and download the "Fast Facts".

You wil notice that some model years may have been dropped from the parts catalog. I did not see the 2001 Parts catalogs, but I did see 2002 catalogs. You can often find what you are looking for by checking a later model boat. The parts catalog will often identify the part and indicate that the part was used on your model boat for several years.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:25 pm 
Guppy

Earliest Parts Catalog is 2014 - not much help unfortunately.

I have a Maxwell RC8-6 windlass kit, their replacement for the original kit provided to FW for this model year...2000 Sundowner 285.

FW has NO information about the installation details, they are of absolutely no help.

I cannot find a path for the wiring from the back to the anchor locker. There is a pre-run wire for the windlass console switch, that's all. I need to run power cables and low-voltage for a wireless up/down switch...but I can't find a path. Any wiring from the back seems to travel in the gunwale ...there is a small portal from the inner hull to the outer hull/gunwale inside the right console below the Trim Tabs switch panel....but it's virtually inaccessible..no way to run a fish tape through it. I've tried from the anchor locker but it gets stuck somewhere after approx 4-5'. Same on the port side. I would love to know how the aftermarket guys do this. There is no room in the ceiling. I'm immensely frustrated...the whole project is dead in the water, lots of money wasted...if I can't find a solution.