www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:14 am 
email admin your custom rank

According to the Coast Guard you do not need a hand portable fire extinguisher if you have an approved fixed system if your boat is less than 26'.

http://www.uscgboating.org/SAFETY/fedreqs/equ_fire.htm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:20 am 
GIDDY UP

Txjole2 wrote:
Just FYI you have to have a fire extinquisher, and a fire suppression system is not a fire extinquisher.

In OK, you don't have to have both.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:29 am 

Damn. Terminal Covers? Well alright, it's agreed that they should be there but a fine during a remedy is a bit of a stretch is't it? :roll:
Man, are you ever a magnet for these guys. Don't suppose theres any chance of that pretty Baja hitting the market . . . n'd if it were me I wouldn't be posting pics of my new rig - but then I can be a bit paranoid by times.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:30 am 

joet wrote:
According to the Coast Guard you do not need a hand portable fire extinguisher if you have an approved fixed system if your boat is less than 26'.

http://www.uscgboating.org/SAFETY/fedreqs/equ_fire.htm

I would get one anyway just so the cops don't harass you again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:31 am 

I got a ticket when I had my 33' Scarab, know after reading the regs I know while. I needed one portable in addition to my halo system.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:13 am 
wkearney99

Txjole2 wrote:
I needed one portable in addition to my halo system.

Besides being required, it's just good sense. Not all fires occur in the engine compartment. That and automatic systems do fail. Better to spend, what, $20? for a handheld extinguisher than have a fire destroy the boat and risk lives.

The battery terminal thing is a hassle. But at this point it's clear if you want your boating to go uninterrupted you need to a) dot all those I's and cross all those T's, and b) have a serious discussion with the superiors of the officer if you disagree with how the situation was handled. It's tough to make that argument when you're in the wrong. But just because you violated the rules doesn't mean the situation couldn't have been handled better.

Just whinging about it in an online forum will DO NOTHING to change the situation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:21 am 

wkearney99 wrote:
Txjole2 wrote:
I needed one portable in addition to my halo system.

Besides being required, it's just good sense. Not all fires occur in the engine compartment. That and automatic systems do fail. Better to spend, what, $20? for a handheld extinguisher than have a fire destroy the boat and risk lives.

The battery terminal thing is a hassle. But at this point it's clear if you want your boating to go uninterrupted you need to a) dot all those I's and cross all those T's, and b) have a serious discussion with the superiors of the officer if you disagree with how the situation was handled. It's tough to make that argument when you're in the wrong. But just because you violated the rules doesn't mean the situation couldn't have been handled better.

Just whinging about it in an online forum will DO NOTHING to change the situation.

I know, but I needed to vent. I am contacting the local Sherriff to discuss this with him.

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:57 am 
230 Mike

07H200SS wrote:
Funny the cop didn't know that.

He was too busy "educating." :roll:

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:00 am 

I would also appear in court and fight it. You would be surprised how much influence the judicial branch can have over the law enforcement branch when it refuses to enforce fines/citations that are "iffy." Regardless of preconceived notions, the DO have a relationship and the higher ups at the police departments DO occasionally get reports on what was upheld/rejected in court that was originated by their officers. Plus, some of the judges will flat-out tell the departments to stop wasting the court's time and resources with iffy police work.

This is your chance to try to do you part to get this change made in your jurisdiction. Don't stop with just talking to the Sheriff.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:30 am 

Blessed wrote:
Man, are you ever a magnet for these guys. Don't suppose theres any chance of that pretty Baja hitting the market . . . n'd if it were me I wouldn't be posting pics of my new rig - but then I can be a bit paranoid by times.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the "judge" has been lurking and did a notification of the new ride. But again...I am paranoid as well at times.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:44 am 

Quote:
A fire on that boat would have been a good thing for me. 117 MPH and I couldnt stay out of the throttles, plus throw in $400 in fuel on a good weekend. I needed a fire on the boat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:11 pm 
Dolphin

This thread was an education, and I didn't need a fine to help me learn. Thanks for sharing your misfortune with us, learning about the fire extinguisher, that it is "in addition to an automatic fire suppression system" is helpful. I'll check the AZ requirement. I also was not aware of the terminal covers being required...I have those though, but I can educate other boat owners when I see they don't have them npw.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:44 pm 

I think we've all met the good cop/ bad cop/ stupid cop/ sensible cop. They are all human, have good and bad days but some are just objectionable and love being that way. It sounds like in the US you have much more ways to expose the undesirables in that profession than we do here in the UK. In the area I have to cross to get to my boat the previous Chief Constable was known as the "Mad Mullah of the North Wales Traffic Taliban"

I must admit the rules about battery terminal covers make sense; the fine seems excessive!

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:46 pm 

I have been a Deputy Sheriff, (A Real Cop) for nearly 30 years. We take care of real calls. Homocides, Burglaries, Domestics and so forth. I have been shot at on twice and I really don't care if you hate cops but I will give you my own two cents. If you hate real cops then I ask you folks to call your nearest drug dealer the next time you need help. I would suggest that just maybe you may be doing something to get the attention of the person that you call a cop. I never took up battery care in the Police Academy but just the notion of that would suggest to me that this person is some type of a water craft officer. When I take my boat out on the lake the water craft people give me the creeps also. I don't want to be bothered by someone who has an interest in the number of life jackets that I have on board. I am on the water trying to get away from those whining D&&K H***S who hate cops. I would also like to sneak the ocassional drink of the Irish without having to worry. So I would ask that you do not lump us all into a group that is hated by all. I will end my venting session by saying WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE THE ONE WHO ENFORCES NO WAKE ZONES??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:56 pm 

Quote:
If you hate real cops then I ask you folks to call your nearest drug dealer the next time you need help
In Dallas they are one and the same.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next