www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Clear Lake Near Me
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:44 am 
email admin your custom rank

Im no expert on the subject, but I think the whole watershed doesnt move up or down much due to the dam on the elk river where it empties into grand traverse bay which controls lake levels. Found the same to be the case last year when we did the inland waterway trip. The dam on the cheyboygan river controls lake levels.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:49 am 

I was on the Indian River, Mullet, Cheboygan River May 31st. The level on the Indian River was up at least 6-8" above "normal".

Not sure if that relates to Torch, Elk etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:58 am 
268 Vista

A buddy has a cottage on Indian River, water levels are less than 2" above last year's level, and last year was considered "normal"
We will be on the Inland Waterway end of July. Been there 3 times now, always stay in Cheboygan, and water levels there have been constant in my experience, due to the dams' as jsimon stated.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:06 am 

Based on what you guys are telling me, I should be fine under the bridge. Fast Facts says I am 9'7" on bridge clearance. I will call one of the marinas you mentioned and check to see if they know it is 10ft. If so, Im looking at a date in August for my trip!

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:31 am 
268 Vista

hutch9900 wrote:
Im looking at a date in August for my trip!

We will be on Grand Traverse Bay. for 3 weekends in August. Maybe we can meet if you are there on one of those weekends.

Last edited by Cap'n Morgan on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:36 am 

It is likely the Indian River has normalized over the past couple weeks. When I was on there the levels had peaked from snow melt and recent heavy rains.

I do know and can confirm with certainty that the water on the lower St. Mary's River (& Lakes Michigan-Huron) is up 12" from this time last year. USACE even confirms that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:54 pm 
Guppy

If you are headed to Torch Lake, you need to know that the weather can be cold in even August. It is not usual to have low temps in the 40's at night in August. When I was there last weekend the low was 37 degrees on Saturday. By late afternoon, it hit 70.

If you plan on going through the chain of lakes, you will need to buy lake charts once you get there. These charts show the shallow areas in the rivers between the lakes. Most rivers are sand bottoms and you can see how deep you are, but there are rocks that can bend a prop if you get out of the channel. Also, coming out of Torch River into Lake Skegemog can tricky without charts. There are many stumps in Lake Skegmog so be careful.

You should have no problem with bridge clearance with a 278, The water is a little high, but there is more than enough clearance for your boat.

Make sure to include a Grass River cruise. Grass River goes between Clam Lake and Lake Bellaire and has a nature area for most of the cruise. You can also dock at the Grass River Nature area and spend some time hiking.

If this is your first trip, you are in for a real treat. I work in the marine industry and regularly boat on Lake Cumberland, Dale Hollow, Lake Norris and Kentucky Lake. None of these lakes compare with Torch Lake and I think nothing of driving 8 plus hours just for few days boating on Torch.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:00 am 

Dave L wrote:
If you are headed to Torch Lake, you need to know that the weather can be cold in even August. It is not usual to have low temps in the 40's at night in August. When I was there last weekend the low was 37 degrees on Saturday. By late afternoon, it hit 70.

If you plan on going through the chain of lakes, you will need to buy lake charts once you get there. These charts show the shallow areas in the rivers between the lakes. Most rivers are sand bottoms and you can see how deep you are, but there are rocks that can bend a prop if you get out of the channel. Also, coming out of Torch River into Lake Skegemog can tricky without charts. There are many stumps in Lake Skegmog so be careful.

You should have no problem with bridge clearance with a 278, The water is a little high, but there is more than enough clearance for your boat.

Make sure to include a Grass River cruise. Grass River goes between Clam Lake and Lake Bellaire and has a nature area for most of the cruise. You can also dock at the Grass River Nature area and spend some time hiking.

If this is your first trip, you are in for a real treat. I work in the marine industry and regularly boat on Lake Cumberland, Dale Hollow, Lake Norris and Kentucky Lake. None of these lakes compare with Torch Lake and I think nothing of driving 8 plus hours just for few days boating on Torch.

This is great information! Thank you for the advice. We have inland lakes chart for my Lowrance GPS, hopefully this is detailed enough to keep me out of trouble. We are really looking forward to this trip and hoping for good weather.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:18 pm 
Guppy

This is great information! Thank you for the advice. We have inland lakes chart for my Lowrance GPS, hopefully this is detailed enough to keep me out of trouble. We are really looking forward to this trip and hoping for good weather.

The charts I am talking about are sold locally in a paper back binder. It use to have a yellow cover, but mine are at least 20 years old. They are pretty cheap and give very detailed information about each lake. There is good information for entering/exiting the rivers between each lake. The channels are narrow and this book gives better information than the Lowrance. Entering Claim River just 10ft from the channel will really tear up a set of dual props.

This link is the on line version.

http://www.fishweb.com/maps/antrim/chai ... index.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:59 am 
268 Vista

Hutch,
The charts are always nice to have, but are cumbersome in the booklet form. I use Navionic's on my cell phone. Charts are up to date, and
provide all the info I have ever needed when on the Chain O' Lakes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:30 am 

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
Hutch,
The charts are always nice to have, but are cumbersome in the booklet form. I use Navionic's on my cell phone. Charts are up to date, and
provide all the info I have ever needed when on the Chain O' Lakes.

I have the Navtronics app as well. That was a worthy $15 investment! It is nice to have a backup in case one of the two is on the blink for some reason.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:27 am 

Well it looks like we are set for our trip to Torch and the chain of lakes!! We are super excited and nervous :lol: We should be leaving on 8/9 and heading that way. Anyone else going to be up there around then?

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:22 pm 

Im jealous, I think we are planning it next year maybe. Please take photos and detail how you go for us, as this will be my first time also.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:30 pm 

I was planning on using the ramp at the Torch River Bridge, but I am seeing that there may not be much parking for my trailer? Does anyone have any suggestions for where to launch and park near the south end of the lake?

Also, as I look at the charts for Skegemog it looks like the water is extremely shallow coming off of Torch River. Is it not safe to navigate to Elk from there? I was really hoping to see all three of those lakes this time since we are only spending 4 days up there. If not, then I guess we will go north toward Clam and Bellaire.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:33 am 
268 Vista

You can try the Torch River bridge, but it's really meant for smaller boats, I have seen some GFBL's launch there. You can park across the street and leave your trailer and truck, then walk back to the ramp. Note in this link/pic below it says "Medium watercraft" for launching. The number 593 in this pic is where you can leave your rig after launch.
http://outdoormichigan.org/feature/6661

Have fun !!

Last edited by Cap'n Morgan on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next