www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Boat launch
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:39 am 
Villiage Idiot

yup. I ALWAYS park first, then gett the boat 99% ready to hit the water. I don't undo the winch until it's afloat AND engine running. Guess what, the ONE time I did otherwise, it didn't start! In that case, I had to paddle the boat around, spin it 180deg, drive the car nearly into the water, stand in the water holding jumper cables..... do I need to keep going with this?!?!?!

My funniest ramp story..... I do like to hang out at the ramp and "observe", and even want to get some score cards, or some sort of "boat-ramp Bingo" thing going. I was suprised keeping count that about 1/3 of all boaters did something I considered wrong... mostly doing everything "on the ramp". From plugs left out, to tying off on the ramp side of the dock. I have even seen a truck end up in the drink. However, my favorite story involves a "new" boat owner. They had about a 26' cruiser behind a S-10 blazer. The guy kept yelling at his wife to back it further and further down. I thought it was too much, as the front tires of the car were wet, and the boat wasn't staying in place between the bunks. At one point he managed to get the boat hung up perpendicular to the trailer, on top of the fenders. In correcting, he managed to get the boat turned another 90 deg so it was completely backward on the trailer, and drive up, so not going anywhere. I couldn't contain my laghter at seeing that size boat behind that size car completely backwards on the trailer. And yes, he continued to yell at his wife. As soon as it was safely out of the water, we left without fanfare.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:14 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I've seen a ton of idiots at ramps in my day but one of the most inventive ramps stories that I witnessed is this. A guy was hauling out a 35 foot or so "go fast" with big twin V-8s. The boat pulled up allowing one guy out to go get the truck and trailer. He got the truck and backed it down the ramp without problem and the other guy drove it to the winch and they hooked her up and winched her up. The driver got in (half ton 2WD) by the way, put her in gear and on the wet ramp, the trucks wheels just spun. The guy in the boat fires up both engines, puts her in gear, nails the throttles and shot the whole rig across the parking lot. He almost smashed the whole rig to hell.

Possibly a lot of beers involved but they got the job done without incident. Funny as hell to see though.

And a lot of others.

Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:12 pm 

skidaddytn wrote:
>+1 If it's my turn to launch you can wait a couple of seconds for me to unhook my winch I don't feel comfortable with that thing unhooked.

I definitely don't mind waiting if this is the only thing left to do.... not everyone is comfortable with a 2 person quick launch... I will admit that the first few times I launched I would have never unhooked the winch. But, the coefficient of friction of a carpeted boat ramp combined with the ramp angle and weight of the boat... it just defies the laws of science that it could come off... every boat & trailer is different I suppose...

oh... here's the thing everyone here can relate to... ever get caught out in a storm and come back to a crowded boat ramp, water whitecapping, with everyone panicking to get out? :-) this is the test of a real boater vs. a wannabe... ;-)

Never have and honestly I got goosebumps just reading the end of your comment!! I have just recently started to get more comfortable on my boat during launching and docking but as soon as I see the sky darken a bit I am headed to the dock before anyone else even budges to avoid this nightmare! I am so dreading a scenario like the one you depicted but I thought if something like that happened what would I do. I have no clue! Throw the anchor and swim for shore LOL!
I did run into traffic at the dock once on a clear day and I was very stressed out trying to remain around other boats for the first time without running into anyone. I will be honest I asked for help from another boater and he was really nice after observing my I am going to die face of dread he actually let me in before him and guided me in and I tried to give him money and beer but he said just remember this day when you are better and do this for someone else in need. There are nice boaters that will help less experienced boaters on the water and that is what I love about boating.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:57 pm 
Dolphin

Quote:
Never have and honestly I got goosebumps just reading the end of your comment!! I have just recently started to get more comfortable on my boat during launching and docking but as soon as I see the sky darken a bit I am headed to the dock before anyone else even budges to avoid this nightmare! I am so dreading a scenario like the one you depicted but I thought if something like that happened what would I do. I have no clue! Throw the anchor and swim for shore LOL!

Don't worry about the enevidable, as you become a more seasoned boater you will experience unfavorable weather, being prepared and safety concious are valuable qualities keep them. The same rule apply as discussed with the dock...DO NOT PANIC, be aware of your environment, take control of the situation and use healthy doses of the not so common, Common Sense. Remember many others have been in similar or worse situations but made solid timely decisions and arrived home with all passengers and equipment a little shaken but unhurt/undamaged. You do not need dark clouds for a sudden increase in wind on a clear day, the clouds don't make the waves the wind does(me too). You did mention anchoring the boat and swimming, if you had a mechanical failure along with the unfavorable weather this is definately an option, considering you have a mooring anchor or one heavy enough to stop your boat from washing up on the shore, and all of your passengers are capable of swimming back etc. The dark clouds carry a more unpredictable inherent danger called lightning...really hard to outrun when you are the best ground around truly and electrifying experience I have not had the displeasure of encountering(came close a few times). You cannot predict the weather, I have yet to see a weatherman do it consistantly (no offence) point is you can dock on lakes and go golfing, if you are on the 14th hole when the weather rolls in you are going to have you work cut out for you...even tougher if you eagled the last hole. Thinking outside the box is a good thing, if there is a cross wind and white caps pushing your trailer sideways, you may need your anchor more on your trailer than you do on your boat, and your approach will be faster but the resting place will be the same. Communication, and Control in extreme situations will help to guide you through don't fear the enevidable face it, and prepare for it... you will be fine !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:37 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qloBVqKP1CA

Random passerby helps with the bow line, and wife ties up the stern. I muscle the boat off the trailer at low tide.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:59 am 

Waked Up wrote:
Quote:

Don't worry about the enevidable, as you become a more seasoned boater you will experience unfavorable weather, being prepared and safety concious are valuable qualities keep them. The same rule apply as discussed with the dock...DO NOT PANIC, be aware of your environment, take control of the situation and use healthy doses of the not so common, Common Sense. Remember many others have been in similar or worse situations but made solid timely decisions and arrived home with all passengers and equipment a little shaken but unhurt/undamaged. You do not need dark clouds for a sudden increase in wind on a clear day, the clouds don't make the waves the wind does(me too). You did mention anchoring the boat and swimming, if you had a mechanical failure along with the unfavorable weather this is definately an option, considering you have a mooring anchor or one heavy enough to stop your boat from washing up on the shore, and all of your passengers are capable of swimming back etc. The dark clouds carry a more unpredictable inherent danger called lightning...really hard to outrun when you are the best ground around truly and electrifying experience I have not had the displeasure of encountering(came close a few times). You cannot predict the weather, I have yet to see a weatherman do it consistantly (no offence) point is you can dock on lakes and go golfing, if you are on the 14th hole when the weather rolls in you are going to have you work cut out for you...even tougher if you eagled the last hole. Thinking outside the box is a good thing, if there is a cross wind and white caps pushing your trailer sideways, you may need your anchor more on your trailer than you do on your boat, and your approach will be faster but the resting place will be the same. Communication, and Control in extreme situations will help to guide you through don't fear the enevidable face it, and prepare for it... you will be fine !

Not looking forward to any drama but I will deal with it if and when it comes up hopefully as efficiently as you guys on the forum.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:58 pm 
Shark

Well........today was the first launch and retrieve....and we chose a day with 25+MPH winds for our maiden voyage...........everything went flawless. Wife took the boat in to the dock with some guidance and patience and she handled herself extremely well and I was quite proud.

Got the tube out behind the boat for the first time, and it caught some wind under it, and sent my poor kid 10-15 feet into the air! He came out all smiles and ready to go again, but Dad decided it was not a good day to try out a new tube anymore, as quite frankly, that scared the crap out of me from the boat. Made me think of that tube a few years ago that was suppose to fly, and they discontinued it due to people getting killed from it.

Anyways, it was a GREAT day, and the Launch ramp was a piece of cake. Tomorrow we are headed out to Lake Don Pedro and am bringing the 4 year old with us this time!! Looking forward to it!!

Thanks again everyone........I really did learn a TON from reading a lot of this forum!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:27 am 
Dolphin

Okay - I've been off of the forum for almost a year while deployed to Afghanistan. As I read through some of the posts on this thread, I remember many funny stories from the boat ramp. While I am an experienced boater and have a great launch/recovery team mate with my wife, I must confess to executing a possibly risky launch. We unhook EVERYTHING prior to backing down the ramp.

With the blower running, the wife backs me into the water and at the right time, just taps the brakes to allow me to float off; when I proceed start the engine.

I always figured that with dry bunks and the weight of the boat, I am not going to slide off of the trailer. Am I flirting with disaster here?

We are very efficient on and off of the trailer and frequently impress others as they struggle to get it right. Perhaps we need to keep the winch hooked up until I am in...don't want to read about my boat ramp folly in the future.

Thoughts?

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:34 am 

First off Scott, thanks for your service. Not an easy gig I'm sure.

We always leave the winch strap done up until the trailer wheels are in the water, one last stop to unhook then splash. I have to remember not to give the boat too much momentum coming off the trailer, hard to stop if it is moving too fast.

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:43 am 

blue dragon wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qloBVqKP1CA

Random passerby helps with the bow line, and wife ties up the stern. I muscle the boat off the trailer at low tide.

Finally, a video of how to do it at the ramp! Nice boat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:10 pm 

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... z20tmCWP5M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:58 am 

The ramp can be a frustrating and comical place all in one.
We trailer so we see our share of idiots.
We are fast and spend less than 5 min from backing up to launch, or docking to pulling out.
Our secret to avoiding the idiots is timing. We leave earlier in the morning so we are there with fishermen instead of the bonehead families that dont have a clue.
so we end up coming back early enough to beat em all back to the ramp to get out, or we stay out till dark when no one is at the ramp

we have had over 20 hassle free launch/retrevals this year so far..

i'll keep my fingers crossed and knock on teak to the rest of the season

2006 5.0GXI w/closed cooling, DP-sm 1.95 drive
Previous boat:
1998 Sundowner 205