www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Clear Lake Near Me
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:47 am 
email admin your custom rank

There is a ramp further down the Torch river that I used in the past. http://www.fishweb.com/maps/antrim/lake ... h_rv_ramp/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:50 am 

Thanks guys! In your opinion, is my boat too large to be attempting going to Elk via Torch River/Skegemog? Have either of you guys done this and which of the lakes have you been to by water only in your larger boats? I know Cap'n has been getting around to many other places with his new bowrider, but did you ever try it with your 282 or 268? I guess I am just looking for confirmation from people who know that it can be done :?

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:29 pm 

I haven't done it in the 248 yet. I did it years ago on a FW 215 SD and once on PWCs. I do know that there are some pretty big boats that go from Elk Rapids to Torch all the time to party on the sand bar. Cap'n was just there last year so he would know more.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:55 pm 
268 Vista

Hutch,
You will be fine, we cruised the chain from Torch to Elk Lake with a 270 Crownline cruiser (same size as your boat) a
30 foot Baja with twin 454's and BIII drives, and neither had a problem as long as they stayed within the
marked channel and middle of the river. It's dredged to at least 4 feet in most area's, and deeper in many more.
Just watch your depth gauge, account for the offset, and keep your thumb ready on the trim button :wink:

Wish we could go this weekend, but we hopefully will be on Grand Traverse Bay instead. Boat is staying home
the following weekend when we camp near Torch Lake and paddle the kayaks around.

Relax, you will be fine. Once you get your boat on Torch Lake, you will be in heaven.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:30 pm 
Guppy

With a boat your size, I would launch at Dewitt's Marine on Clam lake. Their ramp is pretty deep and you can make arrangement to park your trailer. Best to call ahead because they get pretty busy at times.

I have a cabin on Torch and boat with a 26' boat with about the same draft as yours.

If you are going from Torch Lake to Elk lake, you just have to be careful. When coming into Lake Skegemog, follow the channel through the tree stomps. Once clear of the channel, go due west until you are 1/2 way across the lake, then head for the cut through to Elk Lake.

It's actually more difficult to go through Grass River than Torch River.

Have a great time

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:12 am 
268 Vista

Clam lake water clarity is similar to Ohio Lakes. I have not, and would not take my bowrider through the
Grass River. If I wanted to boat on Bellaire, I would trailer there and launch it. But not in a Vista.

Our friends with bigger boats launch at Dewitt Marina , and usually rent a slip there to spend the weekend on the boat.

Clam Lake is a decent refuge when Torch Lake gets rough.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:42 am 

I appreciate the information Cap'n! I have to build the confidence so that I dont hold myself back on exploring.

The ramp near Luhr's Landing half way down Torch River looks like a good one for me to launch. I just hope they have a fair amount of parking. I haven't seen too many transient docks available around the lake. Is Dewitt my best choice? I was thinking about trying to anchor out for a night or two, but I was going to try to stay back in the river. Are there better spots to overnight? Looking at the lakes, I dont see any deep coves like we have down here.

I appreciate all of the info you guys have provided so far! Sorry for asking so many questions :lol:

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:07 am 
268 Vista

No real coves on any of the lakes. If you overnight on Torch or Elk, you will be right in front of someone's home/cottage. Elk & Torch are all residential around the shore. Not even positive if you can overnight on the lakes. Probably can, but I have not seen it. The Torch river is also lined with cottages and homes, and not really wide enough to anchor for the night in most places without being 10 feet from someone's home.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:18 am 

Damn! I saw a large portion toward the north of the river that I thought looked like I could anchor out there, but i do see the homes now. They probably would not like me doing that! I guess I will have to call some of the marinas around and ask them if they have slips for rent. We were just hoping to be off land for a few days.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:37 am 
268 Vista

Torch River Marina is usually filled to capacity with locals. Not sure if they even offer transients. The only other choice is DeWitt's. You usually need to call ahead (weeks sometime's) to get an overnight slip there. So you better start dialing ! Good place to stay and launch. Within walking distance to the legendary Dockside for food and beverage.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:09 am 

Have you checked out Elk Rapids Harbor? http://www.elkrapidsharbor.com/

They have slips and ramps on both sides of the dam.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:45 am 

I'm no expert as I've only been on the "Chain o' Lakes" once, but the north end of Bellaire may be doable for anchoring out for the night. It is pretty quiet and there are only a few cabins/cottages/homes on the lake. Of course you have to get to through the Grass River to get there.

I will second the suggestion of Elk Rapids Harbor. It is a very nice facility and would let you spend a day on Lake Michigan with just a short trailer trip to the lower harbor. Then you could theoretically head down to Traverse City or up to Charlevoix for a day/night also.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:46 am 
268 Vista

Great Marina in Elk Rapids, check on Elk River bridge height, it says 11ft, but does not look like it to me this year. If you can't get under the bridge, he would have to pull the boat, trailer to Torch and launch there, then pull the boat, trailer back to Elk Rapids, launch the boat again, and then stay on it overnight.
Don't quote me on bridge height, but worth asking.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:06 pm 

All excellent points! I was on the phone today with DeWitt and they have 3 nights available for me so I reserved those days and I have one at Elk harbor. I spoke to the folks at Elk and they say that the bridge is currently just over 10ft, so I should be fine there. I will be a little nervous going under that knowing that I only have a few inches to spare though! We are thinking about spending one night on the sand bar, as one of folks I spoke with at Torch River Marine said that folks do it all the time as long as the wind isnt coming directly from the north. Looks like this weekend and early next the wind will be everywhere but north, so we MIGHT try that for one evening.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:10 pm 

We wont be going to Bellaire this time around. I do hope that we can get there the next time though. I didnt realize that you could not access Grand Traverse Bay from Elk until today though! I was not aware of the Dam.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next